The Student Room Group

AQA History AS level - Modern Britain (1951-2007) & Tsarist Russia (1855-1917)

Hi all,

I would really appreciate if you could answer my concerns over the specification, exam technique and revision - hopefully it will help you all, too.

For these 2 topics, I was wondering how I can aim for an A grade in my exam for the source question and the essay question - what kind of criteria must I be hitting each time to secure the grade? How can I structure my answer? What must it include? What is the 'A' grade way?

Also, how can I consolidate my notes and make sure that I have ONLY the important information that will get me the marks in there? I have a tendency to just try and regurgitate the entire page in the textbook, but that is not getting me the grade that I want!

So, if possible, and it would be very much appreciated: can I have answers to my questions above, please.

Also, revision tips to be achieving the top grades in HISTORY, what I NEED to know etc...

Most importantly, the exam structure itself, for the source question, the essay question, time management, and any grade booster tips/ ideas to secure that aspirational grade!

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Kind Regards.
I've been getting solid A grades in essays and mocks quite over four months now so I think I can help - I will focus more on Tsarist Russia though I don't do modern Britain.

These are some general pointers I follow for structure;

Introduction must be concise and provide some short background information on the topic e.g. if it is a question on Alexander III, give dates of his reign, his pesronality (if it is somehow relevant to the question) and his greatest achievements/reputation.

It is essential that you say whether you agree or disagree with the statement in the question, you need to show a stance

Use words from the question to make your point, then at the end of the paragraph, sum it up in one sentence again using words from the question

Include some short evaluation at the end of each paragraph so your answer is at least somewhat balance e.g. Nicholas I did make a mistake trying to preserve autocracy... (near end of paragraph) However, Nicholas was brought up my his father Alexander III and tutor Pobedonostsev to posses a strong belief in autocracy, so perhaps he did not know how else to govern

For the conclusion, just sum everything up nicely while further emphasising your stance on the question

Quick Reply