Dog Observing Flea
:rofl: Ever been to Brixton/Southall?

Yes - not the nicest place either.
No denying that :rofl:
Dog Observing Flea
No denying that :rofl:

Get up off the ****ing floor.
Reply 223
British families should be given priority instead of immigrants. It's just common sense. There is no justification for giving housing priority to immigrants instead of the British.
Reply 224
Zebedee
Being british is synomonous with being multicultural? give me a break. It is an invention of the last 50 years or so!

Except for the minor fact that, at various points in our history, we have been invaded by the Romans, Vikings, Angles, Saxons and Normans and we have had mass immigrations of Irish, Africans, Afro-Caribbeans, Jews, Eastern-Europeans and Indo-Asians. The first proper Muslim immigration occured, I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear, about 300 years ago when they were recruited to work for the East India Company.
In fact, 95% of people who call themselves English, are, at one time or another, descended from foreign immigrants (i.e people not involved in the first mass immigration to Great Britain). Due to our part in the slave trade, a great deal of people in the UK have ancestors of Afro-Caribbean descent- in 1750, 1 in 20 people in London were black. Do you really think this is somehow a new thing? I mean, people only got to this island about 10,000 years ago! We are a nation of immigrants!

Look, at our language, for example. It's a unique testament to the fusion of people and cultures that Britain is based on. We've got French words (royal, mirage), Norse words (the days of the week, many suffixes of place names, particularly in the North), Germanic Anglo-Saxon words (pillow, camp, fork), Irish words (bother, spree), a huge amount of Latin words (alien, vision, justice), even Hindi words (bungalow, thug). I could go on.

I mean, I've got blonde hair, blue eyes and my mum's side of the family is from near Durham and has a Scandinavian name. My blood group is B-, which is very rare in Western Europeans and is more commonly found in Eastern Europe and Middle Asia. Oh, and my dad's surname is French.

Saying Britain is not multicultural is basically ignoring our entire history.

As for the OP's subject.

I don't care if someone's been here for a day, five years or their entire lives. If they are here legitimately and they need a place to stay, they should get it and they should be prioritised according to need, nothing else. We are, after all, all human.
D00
British families should be given priority instead of immigrants. It's just common sense. There is no justification for giving housing priority to immigrants instead of the British.

Please elaborate.
Reply 226
...The key difference between then and now is that in the past we had one "folk" with a culture that gradually varied with the addition of new peoples, religions etc. Now we have several peoples living parralel lives within the same nation, there is not that much mixing between the seperate cultures... Zebedee.

When did we have this one "folk" exactly? Certainly the Anglo-Saxons didn't regard themselves as such until very late on in their presence here - indeed it only materialised in the minds of the elite after they'd swallowed up each other's kingdoms in vicious fighting directed by them and which coincided (more or less) with the substantial and permanent settlement of Vikings which forced a sense of single identity upon them (and, as you can guess the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings did not see themselves as 'brothers' or of the same 'folk' not by a long shot). Shortly after the Normans took control, bringing their own political, social and cultural values into the mix. You do know that, among others, Romans, Jews, Irish Catholics and French protestants have variously settled here too, don't you? I mean, have you read any history books, ever? British history is one of constant influxes of people who by gedrees mingled and assimilated, changing the natives and changing themselves. It's a complicated process and sometimes groups have maintained separate identities; but to deny flat out that our history has seen such change makes you look ignorant.

As for multiculturalism. What we've actually experienced in Britain is a combination of multiculturalism and cultural blending. I listen to Afro-American music, eat Indian food and enjoy the Chinese New Year Celebrations which attract a large croud in my local city centre. I'm white, but I'm not a Christian. I'm an example of how culture blends in people - we can pick and choose what attracts us from different cultural sources and make these things our own. People don't have to conform to strict and historical ideas of cultural conformity, though I guess they can choose to - although I can see that you'd like to take away this choice and force all white English people to take up Morris Dancing and abandon any taste they may have for spicy food or hip-hop music.

Wake up Zebedee. Most of us like to choose what music we listen to, what food we eat, what kinds of fashion we subject ourselves to, who we marry and have kids with and so on - it's called cultural and social freedom, and you have no authority or power to stand in its way.

Latest