The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gabsywabsy
Will the ums of AS levels that are taken this summer (2016) be taken into account at all?

Yes, we will still be asking for UMS in unreformed subjects. We have not decided on reformed subjects as UMS will not be available, only raw marks.
Reply 21
Original post by University of Cambridge
Yes, we will still be asking for UMS in unreformed subjects. We have not decided on reformed subjects as UMS will not be available, only raw marks.

Presumably CAO could collate the grade boundaries from the exam boards and therefore calculate UMS from each applicant's raw marks. But that could be open to clerical error and generally be a complete faff...
Original post by jneill
Presumably CAO could collate the grade boundaries from the exam boards and therefore calculate UMS from each applicant's raw marks. But that could be open to clerical error and generally be a complete faff...

It's unlikely that we will try to calculate our own UMS - CAO are rather busy!
Reply 23
It's unlikely that we will try to calculate our own UMS - CAO are rather busy!

Indeed.
Reply 24
Does Cambridge need 4 AS Levels and would I be disadvantaged if I only have two? Should I sit the AS exam for the subject that I wish to study? (It's English)
Original post by G110
Does Cambridge need 4 AS Levels and would I be disadvantaged if I only have two? Should I sit the AS exam for the subject that I wish to study? (It's English)

I'm sorry, I want to keep this thread about Admissions Assessments please. Regarding AS Levels, no one is going to be disadvantaged by what their school chooses to do with AS Levels this year in reformed subjects.
Hi, thank you for doing this thread - I hope both you and Rocket are well :smile:

I was just wondering whether the tests will differ at all for people applying in Year 13 and those apply post-A2, as the latter will have covered more topics within their subjects, or will the people marking them just keep it in mind/expect higher levels of detail in the post-A2 answers?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Dottymoo6
Hi, thank you for doing this thread - I hope both you and Rocket are well :smile:

I was just wondering whether the tests will differ at all for people applying in Year 13 and those apply post-A2, as the latter will have covered more topics within their subjects, or will the people marking them just keep it in mind/expect higher levels of detail in the post-A2 answers?

Thank you :smile:

Hello and thanks for the question. Rocket and I are both well thanks! :smile:

The assessments will be the same for all students (though it is likely that those sitting the tests in Asia will have a different version due to the time difference but it won't be easier or harder). Students' performance will be judged in the context of the rest of their application including their experience.
Hello all,

I am Dr Andrew Spencer, Admissions Tutor at Christ's College and deputy chair of the Admissions Forum at Cambridge University. I am here to answer any questions about the new Admissions Assessments that Cambridge is introducing this year. basic inforation can be found on the University's website and much more information about individual subject tests will go on the website shortly. In the meantime, I look forward to answering your questions about them.

Hi

I know maths will still ask for STEP, but is there going to be an effort to standardise tests at the interview stage between colleges?
Original post by shamika
Hi

I know maths will still ask for STEP, but is there going to be an effort to standardise tests at the interview stage between colleges?

With the change to Maths A Level Being one of the last, the Maths faculty have longer to consider if any changes are necessary to admissions procedures. Therefore I don't think we'll see a move towards standardisation in the immediate future.
Reply 30
Thank you for this thread! My school are still making us sit AS levels along with the new reformed A levels next year. How much will you being taking the AS level marks into account given the new admissions tests? And is the admissions test seen as a much more valuable tool when deciding on an applicant than their AS level marks? Also how much attention is paid to the students predicted grades?
Will you be requesting raw marks for internal exams for reformed AS subjects? And how can this be used as surely some schools will have harder exams set than others?
Many thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by zbang
Thank you for this thread! My school are still making us sit AS levels along with the new reformed A levels next year. How much will you being taking the AS level marks into account given the new admissions tests? And is the admissions test seen as a much more valuable tool when deciding on an applicant than their AS level marks? Also how much attention is paid to the students predicted grades?

Hello and thanks for your questions. All aspects of a candidate's application will be taken into account. There is no weighting of certain parts over another - different aspects will be more important for different students. Where we have UMS data, we will use it. We have always tended to be cautious about predicted grades and this caution is only likely to increase given that they are a new set of examinations.
Original post by I can do this
Will you be requesting raw marks for internal exams for reformed AS subjects? And how can this be used as surely some schools will have harder exams set than others?
Many thanks in advance! :smile:

We haven't decided yet whether we will be asking for raw marks. If we do, then we will also have data on grade boundaries which will help tell us how good an 'A' grade a student has achieved.
Reply 34
We haven't made a decision on this. There are pros and cons for doing either and it's something we shall have to think carefully about.

Hopefully each department will write a new test for each application cycle? This is a good move towards a more transparent process. I can see there are pros and cons. How will the tests be administered? By the schools or Cambridge itself? Are they to be written or computer based? I suspect you have lots to consider! And that many private organisations will soon be making mega bucks advertising private tuition in preparation for these I'm afraid😟
Reply 35
Hello all,

I am Dr Andrew Spencer, Admissions Tutor at Christ's College and deputy chair of the Admissions Forum at Cambridge University. I am here to answer any questions about the new Admissions Assessments that Cambridge is introducing this year. basic inforation can be found on the University's website and much more information about individual subject tests will go on the website shortly. In the meantime, I look forward to answering your questions about them.

Hello
I am interested in engineering for 2017 entry.
1. Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the assessment?
2. I am wondering how best to prepare overall. I am currently deciding whether to do an EPQ or a MOOC. I also have significant leadership roles within the school
Will any of these affect the admissions process, given there is now an assessment. Do different colleges look for different skills? Eg would some prefer someone with strong leadership skills and others prefer only more evidence of academic qualifications?
I am having to decide between things so would appreciate some guidance.
Many thanks
Reply 36
When will more information about the natural sciences test be released?
Original post by 210555
Hopefully each department will write a new test for each application cycle? This is a good move towards a more transparent process. I can see there are pros and cons. How will the tests be administered? By the schools or Cambridge itself? Are they to be written or computer based? I suspect you have lots to consider! And that many private organisations will soon be making mega bucks advertising private tuition in preparation for these I'm afraid😟

Yes, a new assessment will be written for each cycle. The pre-interview assessments are being administered by Cambridge Assessment who will send them to schools and colleges and test centres. Most pre-interview assessments will have two sections - the first multiple choice section will be marked by Cambridge Assessment and the results delivered to the university. The second, more detailed part, will be marked by colleges themselves and, again, reported to the university.

For the first year they will be written but if we decide to continue with the pilot of the assessments, then the aim is to have then done on computer which will speed up the marking.

There are, as you say, lots of things to consider. The private organisations will doubtless try to make money off it but the best advice that one can get is for free and it's direct from the University through the website, open days, Oxbridge conference, summer schools, taster days, masterclasses and here on TSR from official representatives.
Original post by Ruth W
Hello
I am interested in engineering for 2017 entry.
1. Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the assessment?
2. I am wondering how best to prepare overall. I am currently deciding whether to do an EPQ or a MOOC. I also have significant leadership roles within the school
Will any of these affect the admissions process, given there is now an assessment. Do different colleges look for different skills? Eg would some prefer someone with strong leadership skills and others prefer only more evidence of academic qualifications?
I am having to decide between things so would appreciate some guidance.
Many thanks

Hello and thanks for your questions. The best preparation for the assessment in Engineering will be revision of Maths and Physics material from Year 12. A sample assessment and more materials will be released over the next few months on the Engineering page of the undergraduate admissions website, so keep an eye out there and that will tell you the sorts of things to expect and to prepare.

Both and EPQ or a MOOC will be good preparation for Cambridge if they in relevant/related subjects to Engineering - we wouldn't have a definite preference. All colleges are going to prefer academic qualifications over leadership skills - the latter aren't bad things to have of course but we admit only on academic grounds.
Original post by zbang
When will more information about the natural sciences test be released?

As soon as it is ready. Since the University made its final decision to go ahead with the assessments, departments have been working on samples and materials but this has to be done alongside our normal work as academics (lecturing, teaching, administration and research) so it takes a little time. Keep checking the Natural Science pages on the undergraduate admissions website over the next couple of months and the material should appear. There will certainly be plenty of material for each subject well before the admissions deadline in October.

Latest

Trending

Trending