Discuss and Vote!

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure
Reply 2
what even is a rape culture? :dontknow:
Reply 3
Original post by mkap
what even is a rape culture? :dontknow:

Rape culture is a term that was coined by feminists in the United States in the 1970's. It was designed to show the ways in which society blamed victims of sexual assault and normalized male sexual violence. I did copy paste that, I wasn't sure how to best describe it.
Reply 4
No, a rape culture does not exist. The amount of people that throw around this term never seizes to amaze me. They never even know what it means.
Reply 5
Original post by tailred
No, a rape culture does not exist. The amount of people that throw around this term never seizes to amaze me. They never even know what it means.

It seems to be a way for radical feminists to portray males as a danger to society. The irony being that white males are being stereotyped and persecuted the way that females used to be.
Reply 6
I'm guessing you mean in the uk or another western country so the answer is no.
However there are some country's where it does;
Reply 7
Original post by joecphillips

I did, correct.

I would have to disagree here, I don't think it is in a specific country but rather in specific areas of culture.
Rape culture is essentially a society where there is a pervasive attitude that rape and sexual assault is acceptable. So frankly, anyone who argues that there is a rape culture in the Western world is a moron. In other areas (I'm thinking predominantly some middle eastern and african countries) there is most definitely a rape culture.
Reply 9

Yes, the rape culture applies to countries such as India. Victims there openly get blamed for rape.
Reply 10
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Rape culture is essentially a society where there is a pervasive attitude that rape and sexual assault is acceptable. So frankly, anyone who argues that there is a rape culture in the Western world is a moron. In other areas (I'm thinking predominantly some middle eastern and african countries) there is most definitely a rape culture.

As above, I was referring the first world (albeit not very well).

Well, the thing is, I wouldn't say it's the countries as a whole but rather individual parts of the cultures.
Reply 11
Original post by tailred
Yes, the rape culture applies to countries such as India. Victims there openly get blamed for rape.

Again I refute this. I lived there for 5 years and this is anything but the case. Only a small minority blame the victim, in fact most rapists are lynch mobbed nowadays, rape is punishable by death.
Reply 12
Original post by TheOpinion
I did, correct.

I would have to disagree here, I don't think it is in a specific country but rather in specific areas of culture.

I would say a place like Congo has one.
As above, I was referring the first world (albeit not very well).

Well, the thing is, I wouldn't say it's the countries as a whole but rather individual parts of the cultures.

I only state the definition because lots of people don't seem to know what it means - I couldn't count the number of times I've been told we live in a rape culture because sometimes women are catcalled when they walk down the street. As though there is any way you could suggest that being catcalled is comparable to being sexually assaulted. Any suggestion that there is a rape culture in the West must require that you don't know what the term means, or you have some incredibly skewed view of the Western world.

I'd say it's certainly not a coincidence that the areas that exhibit these kind of issues are areas where religion holds significant power over the general public, the government and the law.
Reply 14
I would say a place like Congo has one.

Well yes, definitely. But they have a very backward culture as it stands
Again I refute this. I lived there for 5 years and this is anything but the case. Only a small minority blame the victim, in fact most rapists are lynch mobbed nowadays, rape is punishable by death.

Oh, really. To much western media for me. So it's more of a subcultural thing then. What countries do you think the rape culture is cohesive with the mainstream culture?
Reply 16
Original post by tailred
Oh, really. To much western media for me. So it's more of a subcultural thing then. What countries do you think the rape culture is cohesive with the mainstream culture?

Media is all controlled by those with the loudest voice, in this case, social justice warriors :wink:

I would say some of the Arab nations it is very common as well as some less developed African countries. It's really a question of perspective I suppose.
Does rape culture exist? Well yes, in some countries where women have fewer rights than they do in the western world.

Does it exist in developed western countries like the UK? Of course not.
I don't think there are many places outside the west that have a 'rape culture' so to speak. A rape culture implies that the society condones rape and aside from the odd ultra Islamic country, I don't think that such a place exists. Rape is against the law in most countries
Some people mention less developed parts of Africa but it's not so much of the issue of rape being part of the culture but the fact that because of lack of development in the legal/security sectors people are more likely to get away with most crime (including rape). It's not that people in the society actually actively condone rape or think rape is okay in any situation.
It's like saying a murder culture exists in less developed parts of the world because there's a higher rate of murder in those countries.
(edited 8 years ago)
In India I would say there is. Can't think of any other countries as mainstream as that, probably are some, but there have been lots of high profile infamous cases and some of the quotes of the rapists are sickening :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending