The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One of my friends is currently incarcerated in Habitation-block B70593 (also known fondly as 'International Hall').

Don't take my judgements for rote seeing as I don't actually live there, but I have experienced quite a fair bit of it's day to day bustlings.

The rooms are rather poky, but at least the bathrooms (shared) usually seem to be quite clean. It's quiet, but the kitchen facilities (it is catered, but you're supplied with a fridge kettel and microwave) are rather dire in appearance (think the steerage of the Titanic and you're probably already there). Each room (if they are all the same as the ones I have seen) come with a bed, a wardrobe, cupboards, a sink, a desk and a fair amount of shelf space. It gets rather hot in there, so you'll never complain of being cold, I suppose.

The food is probably edible - my friend seems to be able to take it, but he complains a fair amount and usually looks rather queesy whilst chewing away (I decline to join him and settle for a coffee which is, I must admit, rather good. Very smooth).

There are laundry facilities there which you have to pay for and my friends room came with the smell of its previous occupant. (I'm typing things rather arbitraily as I'm thinking of them, so I appologise for the haphazard nature of this 'review').

The area is undeniably nice - Bloomsbury comes with a nice array of shops and restaurants and pubs and bars (many of which will be, unfortunately, out of the price range of most students). Although saying that, there is a Tesco express which seems well stocked.

If I can think of anything else, I'll tell you.

Oh wait! It has baths dotted around on the floors if you so require one.
Thank you for the reply!
it's bloody expensive, i just got a default notice today for not paying my rent

8(
What do they do after a default notice? Can they put a freeze on your UoL records? (not that I'm planning to default if I'm lucky enough to get in there). How have you found the accomdation & atmosphere?
global_warning
What do they do after a default notice? Can they put a freeze on your UoL records? (not that I'm planning to default if I'm lucky enough to get in there). How have you found the accomdation & atmosphere?

If you leave it for long enough, you get into serious s##t
You dont get your university transcripts (ie: no marks, no record of graduation ) if you have bills outstanding when you graduate.

And they send the debt collection agencies after you.
And THEY tend to get lawyers after you, add legal costs to the amount you owe and then get a court order to garnishee (directly debit the amount from ) your wages.

ie: dont get into that situation.
pretty much as above. i didn't read it, i just paid it, but there was something about lawyers and 48h to pay.

they do pass the info on to your college though, and since it'll count as outstanding debt (as will a few £s in library fines) you'll have a few problems getting your results/re-enrolement if you don't pay it off.

IH is, nice. if i was going to apply for halls again i'd go intercollegiate, again, but probably one of the others. the social scene is a bit of a mess (hard not to be when there's 600? people in here). and of course, the myriad of asian students who ignore you if you're not an asian student.
Reply 7
^^^ where would you apply if you had the chance again?
i keep hearing so many dodge things about intercollegiate halls now i've already applied. haha
commonwealth probably. women there are $$ and you've got other halls right next door. so you're with lots of students like international, but each hall being smaller makes it more personal.
kc students should pick intercollegiate
lse should go to their own halls

can't comment on other unis.

except soas: i bet soas accom is really grim. they should pick intercollegiate too.
KCL students? Why us in particular?
global_warning
KCL students? Why us in particular?

because all king's own accom is RUBBISH (in comparison.)
diamonds_glitter_trauma_tears
but commonwealth is so ugly. mind you, the tennis courts right opposite are pretty cool.

someone mentioned that there are loads of asian kids who sort of keep themselves to themselves - is this true of all the intercollegiate halls? one of the reasons i chose intercollegiate instead lse accommodation was because i didnt want to be surrounded by internationals who arent so keen on being friendly

commonwealth is indeed ugly but it's livable within, and i haven't heard anyone complain about. if aesthetics is a huge thing you're better off avoiding intercollegiates all together, international just looks nice from the outside with that glass thing but it's standard inside.

international has the asian problem, not too sure about other intercollegiates but i'd be inclined to say they're a little better. i'm not too sure how bad the problem is in lse halls but i think you made the wrong move there, lse halls are sweet and some are buzzing socially. i couldn't say which with any authority (although bankside comes to mind), but current students in the lse forum might be able to point those out.
what about connaught though, that's really pretty.

im glad im not going to lse halls because it'll be nice getting to know a wider circle of people and bloomsbury is a much nicer area i think than where the lse halls are

unsure, but now you've mentioned the connaught word adrian clark will be in here shortly to spam you with information. brace yourself.

on a more serious note, connaught looks cool. i know nothing more than that.
unsure, but now you've mentioned the connaught word adrian clark will be in here shortly to spam you with information. brace yourself.

on a more serious note, connaught looks cool. i know nothing more than that.

Pi :I hope it isn't all just spam. Many future students are grateful for a bit more information about where they're going to be living. I do search the forums for questions about the intercollegiate halls (and Connaught Hall in particular) because there are often simple things that I can answer easily and accurately. I don't think d_g_t_t has asked for any information in this post so I don't think it's necessary to respond with more "spam". What do you think?

Shouldn't I have bothered spending a Sunday afternoon in January uploading photos to Flickr so people can have a bit more of an idea wat Connaught and some of the other intercollegiates look like? I wish I'd had that sort of information available when I was 18. Do you just think I shouldn't bother at all? If my input is not helpful there are plenty of other things I could be getting on with, believe me.
i think you should relax and learn to take offhand comments you dolt.
i have a few friends at hp who enjoy it but wouldn't recommend it.
i think you should relax and learn to take offhand comments you dolt.

Our respective posts on TSR - and 1200+ views of my Connaught Hall photos on Flickr - can speak for themselves. I'm not going to engage in a slanging match.
well i for one definately found the photos you uploaded and all the info you've given incredibly helpful. if it wasnt for you, i would have just chosen the halls in a completely random manner so i am really grateful for all your help. i think your rep probably speaks for itself lol
Reply 19
well i for one definitely found the photos you uploaded and all the info you've given incredibly helpful. if it wasnt for you, i would have just chosen the halls in a completely random manner so i am really grateful for all your help. i think your rep probably speaks for itself lol

I second that! You've been a huge help Adrian thanks...though i dont think 'pie' meant any offence by what he was saying. I think he said it in jest really as the next part of his speech said 'on a more serious note'.

Latest

Trending

Trending