The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Adjustment/Course Transfer as a Fresher

Any current students know how flexible Durham are with course changes at the start of the degree, if interests have changed and the course isn't quite as expected or aren't the preferred course?

Worry's me that I could be stuck on a course, whereas at other uni's I have heard there is the possibility of transferring over reasonably easily.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Depends on:
- how similar the courses are
- if you have the grades for that course / any other entry requirements
- how popular the course is / if there are any spaces left

If you have an offer and wish to swap I'd contact them now and ask about it.
If you're asking just as a back-up plan in case you hate it, I'd say everyone at some point in their degree ends up hating their subject and wondering why they ever chose it. That's normal.

Having said that, at the beginning of Michaelmas term there's a 3 week period where you can swap around any optional modules you don't like or want to change. After that it's a lot trickier to change because of how much work you'll have missed.

Good luck! :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Not sure how this will apply to you since I did a foundation year, but I switched from Finance to Liberal Arts about three weeks in. If you have the grades and can demonstrate you really are passionate about the course you want to switch to, then you have chance but there are no guarantees.

Quick Reply

Latest