The Student Room Group

French Literary Phrases

Has anyone by any chance got a set of phrases or a list of useful phrases that can be used in literature essays as I just sat down to do an essay and found myself repeating myself over and over.

If there isn't one i'm happy to make one myself, but i was just wondering if anyone had one in order to save me a little bit of time.

Many thanks in advance x
Reply 1
I've got some, don't know if they're quite what you're looking for:

tel point que - to such an extent that
-d'ailleurs - moreover
-au fond - basically
-bien entendu - naturally
-en revanche - in vain
-en outre - besides
-là-dessus - thereupon
-par la suite - subsequently
-(i love this one) soi-disant - so called
-néanmoins - nevertheless
- autrefois - in the past
- par conséquent - as a result
-quant à - as for...
etc.

I have more if you want =]
I can seriously reccommend to you: Advanced French Vocabulary, second edition, Phillip Horsfall.
'tis very handy!
Some more would be very helpful! Our teacher gave us a list of vocab, but it was mainly specific to our text (Les Justes by Albert Camus) but there wasn't much of this literature type vocab. However, knowing the various phrases for to kill has come in surprisingly handy in some reading comprehensions...
josie24

-d'ailleurs - moreover
-au fond - basically
-en revanche - in vain
-en outre - besides
-là-dessus - thereupon
-quant à - as for...
etc.

I can seriously reccommend to you: Advanced French Vocabulary, second edition, Phillip Horsfall.
'tis very handy!

Ooh they're good, thanks for the post, I was browsing this forum and looked at your list and it's really helpful- there's a few on there I've never heard of so I'll be learning those! :biggrin:
Reply 4
ooh i like these!
Cheers :yy:
josie24

-d'ailleurs - moreover
-au fond - basically
-en revanche - in vain
-en outre - besides
-là-dessus - thereupon
-quant à - as for...
etc.

'tis very handy!

dno bout that, en revanche means 'on the other hand', or 'contrary to'. 'In vain' isn't even a 'loose' translation, its just wrong
Reply 6
'En revanche' means 'on the other hand'
Reply 7
prince of persia
dno bout that, en revanche means 'on the other hand', or 'contrary to'. 'In vain' isn't even a 'loose' translation, its just wrong

your right. in modern french it would be translated on the other hand (still useful =])
however i think there is a 'loose' translation there somewhere, of in vain.
it says it in my vocabulary book, and in addition my mum (francophile) says that when she was learning french she vaguely remembers it meaning something along those lines.
perhaps you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
I'll check with my teacher anyway.
josie24
your right. in modern french it would be translated on the other hand (still useful =])
however i think there is a 'loose' translation there somewhere, of in vain.
it says it in my vocabulary book, and in addition my mum (francophile) says that when she was learning french she vaguely remembers it meaning something along those lines.
perhaps you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
I'll check with my teacher anyway.

you may well be right- but anyone (esp english speakers) using en revanche as 'in vain' would probably get it marked wrong since they would be trying to write modern french.
your one is probably something you'd find in literature rather than what you'd use to write about it

Latest

Trending

Trending