The Student Room Group

St Andrews vs Edinburgh

Hi everyone. I am an American and I've been accepted into the MSc - Epistemology, Ethics, & Mind program at Edinburgh as well as the MLitt in Philosophy at St Andrews. The masters at Edinburgh is an online distance program, which is highly practical for me. Ultimately my goal is to obtain my PhD in Philosophy and have an excellent foundation upon which to build a career in academia. Either way I plan on moving to the UK for my PhD, but perhaps Edinburgh can give me a little more time to plan that overseas move. I'm having a difficult time figuring out which would be the best option, especially since I don't know many people who can speak to the differences between the two programs.

I am still waiting to hear back from Sheffield and Durham.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't know anything about those courses but I think, for a masters, practicalities matter more than anything else, especially if you plan on doing a PhD afterwards. I don't really see the point of spending thousands on living costs in an expensive city like St Andrews when you could do a (presumably) equally good course via distance learning at a very good university. If the Edinburgh course interests you then go for that one. You might get more expert advice if you posted this in the Postgraduate Applications forum.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know anything about those courses but I think, for a masters, practicalities matter more than anything else, especially if you plan on doing a PhD afterwards. I don't really see the point of spending thousands on living costs in an expensive city like St Andrews when you could do a (presumably) equally good course via distance learning at a very good university. If the Edinburgh course interests you then go for that one. You might get more expert advice if you posted this in the Postgraduate Applications forum.

Thank you. I'll take my question to the postgraduate forum (am new to the site and still figuring it out!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending