The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Adult Nursing Brighton Sept 2016

HI there,
I got an offer from Brighton uni and I accepted it as firm choice. I now have to deal with the criminal record thing which is on its way but I still don't know what to do about the occupational health clearance... will they do it at uni when the course starts? Is my gp going to do it? I found mixed info and I'm still not too sure what to do.
thanks
Hey, I had an email from them last week that suggested the occupational health and DBS stuff would be in the post so I'm just waiting on that arriving, not sure how the occupational health stuff works, do you have particular issues you're worried about?
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
You have to be cleared by occupational health in whichever trust you're going to be mainly based at. If you're going to be studying in Brighton with the city as your base area, for example, the local trust (Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust) will process your occupational health before you start placement. You'll also have to meet with them to make sure you're up to date with vaccines (hep-b, etc) and they'll administer any you're missing.

The university should send you everything you need, although I can't quite remember when this happened for my year. You could always get in touch with the school to find out, if you're worried. Your first placement won't start straight away, as you'll have a few weeks of lectures and preparation before you go into practice. Everyone in my year got sorted in time, even those who needed a couple of vaccinations.

As for the DBS, you should get the paperwork for that to fill out before you start. As with occupational health, it's needed before you're allowed to do placements. They say it normally takes up to 6 weeks, although I got mine back in 2, so I certainly wouldn't worry too much about that now. The university will tell you everything you need before you start, and on your first day they'll also go through all the main bits of paperwork, etc, you need to do.

I hope that helps.

- Olly (third year student nurse)
Reply 3
Hi Holly, thanks for your reply... talking about vaccinations... I think I had all of mine done at young age, I think I'm covered but what about people that didn't have any because they (or their parents) are against them? we can't deny that they re not totally safe and also not totally necessary (at least not all of them).
I also wanted to say something about the group you have on fb, maybe you can report this to the admin, I joined that group over a year ago, just wanted to read about the course and the difficulties you found, I never disturbed anybody in any way, a few months back I just asked a simple question as I'm just about to start the course myself and I got kicked out without even being told, just like that.... I think it's a bit rude and not very nice considering we are on the same boat ( well...kind of), just wanted to say it...
Hi Steff,

I believe everyone has to be vaccinated with the basics to undertake a nursing degree in this country. However, occupational health sort that, as said, so I wouldn't want to give an absolute answer here. You will get exposed to situations with patients and bodily fluids throughout the course and throughout a nursing career, and while PPE (personal protective equipment - gloves, aprons, masks, etc) obviously help, I think they want everyone to have the essential immunisations as well.

I'm not sure which group you're referring to here when you mention a Facebook group. There are ones set up by students for the different cohort groups, but they're all student led, not university. I'm sorry you were kicked out of a group though. I would imagine there would be one when you started, or you could certainly start your own as I'm sure everyone else would want to join.

Olly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending