The Student Room Group

Questions about first year

Hey I'm just doing some general research and a lot of the tsr boards are quite old but with the drop out rate of first year university students at around 27%.

What did you feel was needed to help encourage students to stay in university rather than drop out? either from personal experience or stuff you have heard.
Original post by lewis657
Hey I'm just doing some general research and a lot of the tsr boards are quite old but with the drop out rate of first year university students at around 27%.

What did you feel was needed to help encourage students to stay in university rather than drop out? either from personal experience or stuff you have heard.

Better support when choosing courses and maybe better life skills to enable students to better cope if moving away from home was an issue.
27% drop out rate? Nice! My roommate might move out and I get double room all to myself! :biggrin:

The drop out rate (as in students who are no longer at any university following the end of their first year) is 5.7% https://www.hesa.ac.uk/pis/noncon
I don't know where you got 27% from.

I definitely believe it's about support. From before getting to university, through the application process and afterwards. It needs to be made more clear - through all my writing about first year and university that I've shared so many people have been shocked by the support they can receive and I don't believe it's made as well know as it could be.
Reply 5
I see a lot of people are concerned that they don't get enough support at university. That's really sad to hear. I study at Newman University and they are very supportive! It may be because we have smaller class sizes and more one to one sessions with tutors but we get a lot of support from the student support team and the careers team! We get regular emails about opportunities, they have career fairs in general and then subject specific. They even had a staff wellbeing day recently so there is support even for them. I think these regular updates in a way do act as encouragement because it makes us want to get involved.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
The drop out rate (as in students who are no longer at any university following the end of their first year) is 5.7% https://www.hesa.ac.uk/pis/noncon
I don't know where you got 27% from.

Apologies you are correct. Thank you all for you comments and not being able to reply sooner :smile: it's all greatly appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending