The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i do french- on the WJEC board. must admit i find it fairly easy but mindnumbingly boring because there is so much emphasis on "content" on french society- for example i spent a week studying the french benefits system. having said that it has made me much more aware of my own language especially its patterns and history...if that makes any sense...v glad i took it even if it made me want to tear out my eyelids...but i do have a very short attention span...
Reply 21
an A is the highest you can get at A level and if you get an A* at GCSE your Alys predictions will probably predict you a B
LuveeDuck
an A is the highest you can get at A level and if you get an A* at GCSE your Alys predictions will probably predict you a B

Um, I know A is the highest you can get at A level, I meant that at the moment I'm predicted a A (at GCSE) and I wouldn't stand a chance of getting an A at A level if I didn't get A* at GCSE... if that makes any sense at all... :p:

And I don't understand the second half of your post... :confused:
Reply 23
I would definitely advise that you do not take English Language, from my own personal experiences.

At first, I chose to do English Language because it seemed to be the most interesting in the college prospectus... it was tedious and generally dull throughout. Furthermore, the top universities have a trend that states English Lit or English Lang/Lit as prerequisites for an English (or English combined) course. I know that Oxford specifically states that English Language is not usually accepted as a subtitute to these courses.

I ended up switching to English Lit in February and taking twice the number of exams this summer. But the fact that you're doing Lit is enough for you not to do Lang as well. If you want the balance, take combined, otherwise don't bother with it at all.
Reply 24
acrylicafternoons
Um, I know A is the highest you can get at A level, I meant that at the moment I'm predicted a A (at GCSE) and I wouldn't stand a chance of getting an A at A level if I didn't get A* at GCSE... if that makes any sense at all... :p:

And I don't understand the second half of your post... :confused:

ALYS grades are the A-level predicted grades you will recieve when you enter Alevels....for most people you get predicted two grades lower than you got for the subjects at GCSE. So if you got a* at GCSE you will be predicted a B for the subject by your ALYS grades. However lots of the time their bull**** so i wouldnt worry
for most people you get predicted two grades lower than you got for the subjects at GCSE. So if you got a* at GCSE you will be predicted a B for the subject by your ALYS grades. However lots of the time their bull**** so i wouldnt worry

err... ALIS is a bit more complicated than that. it's a statistical package that compares the AS and A level results achieved in each subject by all the people nationally who achieved the same average GCSE score as you (they add up the points for each subject e.g. 8 for A*, 7 for A, then divide by the total number of subjects).

This gives a prediction, but your school should adjust this to reflect its experience of how much value it usually adds in that subject. You should be set a target that's challenging but achievable. It does not guarantee/condemn you to a certain grade: it just shows what the distribution was like for people with similar GCSE results. You can do better or worse but it's not a bad indication. Schools vary as to how good they are at using ALIS - it's a tool. Mine was pants - that's why I had to find out a bit about it!
Reply 26
I'm doing English Lit and English Lang (separately) and I find that each one completely compliments the other. I find English Lang especially fascinating - but then I applied for Linguistics so it's probably slightly different.

English Lang is not easy - it takes a bit of time to get used to - but it is probably easier than a foreign language; I know the work for it fits more easily into my brain than my French A-level does.

If you're thinking about Oxbridge though - your A-levels in Lit, History and RE&Phil are good, and if you feel you can do it, French would make you seem even more impressive. But if you don't think you could study it for two years, don't worry, because you've got three solid subjects there.

Latest

Trending

Trending