The Student Room Group

Calling all access students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JamesN88
Do they give you a set word count for essays?

We don't get one, we just get told to answer all the tasks on the assignment so I end up going OTT waffling.:smile:

We usually get a 1500 word limit with a 10% margin on that. It's never been enforced though and I don't think the teachers check so I haven't always stuck to it!

There was a sociology essay we did on perspectives and I wrote 3000 ish words haha
Original post by JPO92
We usually get a 1500 word limit with a 10% margin on that. It's never been enforced though and I don't think the teachers check so I haven't always stuck to it!

There was a sociology essay we did on perspectives and I wrote 3000 ish words haha

I'm doing Computing and it's varied drastically between modules.

They've ranged from 20 odd pages answering questions about system architecture(not difficult but horrifically long winded) to 1 or 2 pages with a few binary maths questions, which you have to triple check as a single mistake can cost you the grade.

It's hard to speculate what we're going to get given next.
Reply 22
I'm doing Computing and it's varied drastically between modules.

They've ranged from 20 odd pages answering questions about system architecture(not difficult but horrifically long winded) to 1 or 2 pages with a few binary maths questions, which you have to triple check as a single mistake can cost you the grade.

It's hard to speculate what we're going to get given next.

Very different to a humanities based course by the sound of it. Although, I can agree with you that I never really know what to expect.
I'm doing an access to nursing course and I am really struggling as well I think it's common for this time in the course.
Original post by JPO92

I'd be worried that the moderator would flag me up if I went over the word count :frown:
Original post by redinthegrey
I'd be worried that the moderator would flag me up if I went over the word count :frown:

I found out last week that our course's moderator knows virtually nothing about IT(I'm doing Access to Computing ffs!!!). He just looks for the tutor's comments on the work to confirm we've fulfilled each criteria and compares multiples examples of the same assignment.

Wtf??
I found out last week that our course's moderator knows virtually nothing about IT(I'm doing Access to Computing ffs!!!). He just looks for the tutor's comments on the work to confirm we've fulfilled each criteria and compares multiples examples of the same assignment.

Wtf??

Lol ok

Wtf??

Is that the internal or external moderator? Colleges usually get tutors from other subjects to look at samples of students' work and the way they've been marked to flag up any obvious problems before the external moderators come in.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Is that the internal or external moderator? Colleges usually get tutors from other subjects to look at samples of students' work and the way they've been marked to flag up any obvious problems before the external moderators come in.

AFAIK it's an external one(didn't know that there may be an internal one tbh:smile:).
Reply 29
Original post by redinthegrey

It's up to the tutors to tell us that at the end of the day. I did my drafts and some of those have been over the word count, but on no occaision have I been pulled up on it.
Original post by JPO92
It's up to the tutors to tell us that at the end of the day. I did my drafts and some of those have been over the word count, but on no occaision have I been pulled up on it.

True.

Quick Reply

Latest