The Student Room Group

Im gonna fail comp sci help me.

I find computer science really difficult I don't know why. I try my best to learn it buts there is way too much information to know.
What do you find so difficult about it? I don't do CompSci but I can code in C/C++, if you need help with C++ I could help.

Are you a first year student?
ok calm down.
what modules are you studying this semester? what are you struggling with?
we cannot help you if you don't give us specific information.
Reply 3
Original post by Bealzibub
What do you find so difficult about it? I don't do CompSci but I can code in C/C++, if you need help with C++ I could help.

Are you a first year student?

I'm in yr 11 bro
Reply 4
I'm just struggling with everything we are doing WJEC exam board
I'm totally baffled with so many things such as converting denary, binary hexadecimal etc.
Have u asked your teacher for help maybe there is some handouts that you can read over or maybe your teacher will go over it again with you. I did gcse computer science WJEC exam board i think at St Christopher so out of curiosity where are u studying? Also dont think its impossible, i found it a bit difficult the first time i studied it but i did okay and am now doing computer science at a level in my second year and will be going onto university to do game programming (unconditional from hull).
ill try explaining denary to binary(not using twos complement) for you.
1)identify how many bits being used
2)write out your binary numbers, eg for 8 bits would be 128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1 (to work out number just do 2 to the power of num of bit)
3)look at your numbers and see which is the closet to the denery number (but not bigger) for example if my denery number was 65 i would put 1 underneath 64
4)work out the denry that is left (in this example 65 - 64 = 1)
5)repeat step 3 until denery number left = 0
6) fill gaps in with zeros (where you have not put ones)
So for this example of 65 as the denery number the binary would be: 01000001
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
For stuff like that watch youtube tutorials and PRACTICE.
For anyone doing OCR GCSE Computer Science I've found these great revision videos on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxSWH6hIO5k&list=PL04uZ7242_M5n3zzAhcX-eslHud2Lyycd
They go over all the stuff you need to know, for each unit. :smile:
Reply 8
You can count the binary on your fingers.
1 hand = 5 bits

Reading from your thumb to little finger -fingers have the value: 1 2 4 8 16

You want to work out what 6 is in binary.
No 16s fit so put your little finger down
No 8s fit so put the ring finger down
4 fits so stick middle finger up
Theres only 2 remaining and your forefinger represents two so put that up.
0 remaining so your thumb is down

Each upright finger represents a 1 and each down represents a 0.
00110 is 6 in decimal

This conversion method works best done with the back of your hand facing the lecturer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending