The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

I haven't seen a thread so I thought I should start one☺️
I got 3A* 5A 3B at GCSEs but been predicted 2A* and 2A for A level and and A for my EPQ. Do you guys think Ive got any chance?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Moved this into medical schools for you.
Original post by MedicalJunkie
I haven't seen a thread so I thought I should start one☺️
I got 3A* 5A 3B at GCSEs but been predicted 2A* and 2A for A level and and A for my EPQ. Do you guys think Ive got any chance?

Get a 700+ (or there abouts) average on your UKCAT and you should be fine in getting an interview :smile:
Original post by ah639
Get a 700+ (or there abouts) average on your UKCAT and you should be fine in getting an interview :smile:

/
Thanks, are you applying this year too?
Original post by Neostigmine
Moved this into medical schools for you.

/
Thanks, are you applying this year too?

Applied for 2016 entry :wink:
Original post by ah639

oh cool have you heard back yet? and what were your stats if you dont mind me asking?:smile:
oh cool have you heard back yet? and what were your stats if you dont mind me asking?:smile:

I've got an unconditional offer for the graduate-entry course, so I don't think my stats would be indicatively useful for you!

But KCL tend to have a high cutoff year on year for the A100 course, so aim for 700+ in the UKCAT :smile:
Original post by ah639

Also what did you include in your personal staement? and what work experience did you have
Original post by ah639
I've got an unconditional offer for the graduate-entry course, so I don't think my stats would be indicatively useful for you!

But KCL tend to have a high cutoff year on year for the A100 course, so aim for 700+ in the UKCAT :smile:

WELL DONE! and yeah 700 will be tough to get:K::K::K:
Also what did you include in your personal staement? and what work experience did you have

Have a look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511

It should give you an indication of the diversity in applicants' profiles. I'd start from the most recent posts in it and work your way backwards if I were you!
2017 Applicant here too! How's it going?
Original post by ah639
Have a look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511

It should give you an indication of the diversity in applicants' profiles. I'd start from the most recent posts in it and work your way backwards if I were you!

Thanks a lot, will check it out:tongue:
Original post by M_Javaid
2017 Applicant here too! How's it going?

Same here, nothing much just waiting for work experience in summer, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Hey, I'm currently doing As level and want to study medicine in the UK. I have 10A* 1A at GCSE and 1000+ hours of volunteer work at medical institutions and 3 clinical research publications in International Medical Journals. My first preference is Oxford. (do I have a chance?) second is kings.
Can someone tell me when I have to give the UKCAT and BMAT?
Also
Do we apply to university in the same year we finish our AS level? Like before we start A2?
Reply 15
Original post by AmmarAliJaved
Hey, I'm currently doing As level and want to study medicine in the UK. I have 10A* 1A at GCSE and 1000+ hours of volunteer work at medical institutions and 3 clinical research publications in International Medical Journals. My first preference is Oxford. (do I have a chance?) second is kings.
Also
Do we apply to university in the same year we finish our AS level? Like before we start A2?

Hi :smile: with those stats you'd have a really good chance of getting in, providing you do well in your UKCAT and BMAT. The BMAT is sat in November (I think but double check) and the UKCAT can be sat anytime during summer until October 5th. You have to submit your UCAS application by October 15th 2016 and for King's you'd need a UKCAT score of 700+ but the higher the better, I'm not entirely sure about the BMAT score for Oxford as I've never sat it. You get your UKCAT score as soon as you've finished the test so you can apply accordingly, i.e. if you get a good score then apply to unis that put a lot of weighting on the UKCAT but if you get a bad score then apply to unis that don't look at it too much. Your BMAT score, on the other hand, you don't know until after you've submitted your application so it's recommended that you only apply to a maximum of two BMAT unis in case you mess up the test. If you've got anymore questions feel free to ask me as this is my second application cycle so I know what I'm doing now haha
Original post by AmmarAliJaved
Also

That's an extremely impressive profile. However, it looks like you're an international student - Oxford medicine for internationals is absurdly competitive and believe it or not you will probably need a great BMAT score in order to be competitive even with 3 publications pre-university (!?).

You've got 4 choices so if you want to put Oxford down you can, but just make sure you prepare well for the BMAT and interviews.
Original post by nexttime
That's an extremely impressive profile. However, it looks like you're an international student - Oxford medicine for internationals is absurdly competitive and believe it or not you will probably need a great BMAT score in order to be competitive even with 3 publications pre-university (!?).

You've got 4 choices so if you want to put Oxford down you can, but just make sure you prepare well for the BMAT and interviews.

For Oxford? No. For other unis? Sure - just do your research and apply to unis that don't focus on GCSEs, and make sure the other parts of your application are as strong as they can be.
Original post by Nav43
Hi :smile: with those stats you'd have a really good chance of getting in, providing you do well in your UKCAT and BMAT. The BMAT is sat in November (I think but double check) and the UKCAT can be sat anytime during summer until October 5th. You have to submit your UCAS application by October 15th 2016 and for King's you'd need a UKCAT score of 700+ but the higher the better, I'm not entirely sure about the BMAT score for Oxford as I've never sat it. You get your UKCAT score as soon as you've finished the test so you can apply accordingly, i.e. if you get a good score then apply to unis that put a lot of weighting on the UKCAT but if you get a bad score then apply to unis that don't look at it too much. Your BMAT score, on the other hand, you don't know until after you've submitted your application so it's recommended that you only apply to a maximum of two BMAT unis in case you mess up the test. If you've got anymore questions feel free to ask me as this is my second application cycle so I know what I'm doing now haha

Hey, Thankyou so much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. Thanks for the insight on the BMAT, I'll be sure to study really well for it. Is there anything else you'd recommend I do? To make my chances of getting accepted even stronger?

Quick Reply

Latest