The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Democracy
Let's put something into perspective here, first off you're the one who came in here sharing your views. No one here asked for them. So really, you share your opinions, we share ours.
Wow, with your name you really shouldn't be saying that!

Besides all people are saying is for you to stop presenting one sided arguments like "medicine sucks because it does" and "physics rocks because it's cool" (see above for the physics pwns biology list, wtf dude?).

And anyway, Medicine isn't an elitist subject.
It's not an argument. Are you incapable of understanding that all I'm looking for is reasons WHY people like medicine? It's like if I was asking "why do you use the factor and remainder theorem" and you replying "if you don't like it get out."

Medicine may not be an elitist subject but I've seen so many rude replies by lots of med students/wannabes in this forum.
Reply 41
mrsmann
All I'm looking for is reasons WHY people like medicine?

There's a whole host of reasons, most of them are cliche's, but many are unique to certain people: They...
-want to know how the human body functions
-want to know how disease affects the body
-want to learn about how drugs/surgery can prevent or aid recovery from illness
-enjoy knowing that one day they'll be able to use all they've learnt at med school to improve other people's quality of lives

I could go on, but I'm boring myself.

The truth is most people choose to study medicine, not because they want to learn the intricacies of the Kreb's cycle or how steroids work, but because they want to become a doctor and they need the degree to achieve that aim.
Reply 42
mrsmann

It's not an argument. Are you incapable of understanding that all I'm looking for is reasons WHY people like medicine? It's like if I was asking "why do you use the factor and remainder theorem" and you replying "if you don't like it get out."

Medicine may not be an elitist subject but I've seen so many rude replies by lots of med students/wannabes in this forum.

Everyone has different preferences and likes and dislikes. Just as you can't imagine yourself studying medicine, I can't imagine myself studying physics at university- even if I did it at A levels. No wait, especially since I did it at A levels:p::biggrin:
To put it simply, I'm doing medicine because it is the only degree that will enable me to pursue the career I want to. Clinical medicine (and most of what is associated with it) appeals to me, personal choice. If it doesn't to you then, well, it doesn't. Simple really.

So, why do you like the subjects you like? I just can't understand how someone can do a degree in physics or maths for 3/4 years...just the one subject. Over and over for years.
See what I mean?:rolleyes:
Reply 43
mrsmann
Medicine may not be an elitist subject

Given the entry requirements and difficulty to gain admission to medical schools in the UK, I'd say Medicine is one of if not the most elitist subject there is.

Common sense.

Put it this way; it was either play professional football or become a doctor. I ahd to go for the latter seeing as I was never good enough to play in the Premiership and the Championship just wasn't my style. :rolleyes:
Reply 44
mrsmann
I hate the way the arrogant elitist Med students like you, and someone from my school talk.

"If you want to get into an easy university I don't want you treating me"
"If your parents don't make more than 30k don't go to med school even though there's nothing else you want to do"

Erm, have any of us actually said that? I don't think so. Why would parental income mean you shouldn't go to med school?

Basically, you came on here, were rude about medicine, which most people here care quite a lot about, and then were surprised when people weren't happy about it.

You should really grow up and accept different people might not share your love for Medicine.

Erm, we understand that. You were the one questioning how anyone could not want to do Maths/Physics - the fact they might not care quite as much about them? Might not think exactly the same way as you? Hmmm?
What the heck is that £30k comment about? Put it this way, halve that amount and you know how much my household earns.
Reply 46
Johnny C.
There's a whole host of reasons, most of them are cliche's, but many are unique to certain people: They...
-want to know how the human body functions
-want to know how disease affects the body
-want to learn about how drugs/surgery can prevent or aid recovery from illness
-enjoy knowing that one day they'll be able to use all they've learnt at med school to improve other people's quality of lives

I could go on, but I'm boring myself.

The truth is most people choose to study medicine, not because they want to learn the intricacies of the Kreb's cycle or how steroids work, but because they want to become a doctor and they need the degree to achieve that aim.
Fine. Finally a decent response.

So, why do you like the subjects you like? I just can't understand how someone can do a degree in physics or maths for 3/4 years...just the one subject. Over and over for years.
Cuz it's fun, interesting and does not involve a lot of boring fact recollection. How can you not like maths? It's so cool.

Erm, have any of us actually said that? I don't think so.
Yes. I've read it on this forum.
Reply 47
mrsmann
I hate the way the arrogant elitist Med students like you, and someone from my school talk.

"If you want to get into an easy university I don't want you treating me"
"If your parents don't make more than 30k don't go to med school even though there's nothing else you want to do"

You're right, there's nothing to defend. I was merely asking for opinions and perspectives.

And of course it's personal opinion, what else could it be? Do you really think there's a list of objective facts proving Maths and Physics are better than Medicine? (They are, by the way).

And it's not a competition. It's not like it's Physics vs Biology and Maths vs Medicine and the losers die or whatever.

You should really grow up and accept different people might not share your love for Medicine.

So based on what two people have said, you are saying that all medical students are elitist?

Medicine is competitive, and that means that it will attract high achievers. They are more likely to be people who have performed well at school, and have been encouraged to apply for courses like medicine. That is more likely to happen in schools that are doing well.

It shows just how little you know about medicine and the range of people that study it. In the last 5 years, there has been an explosion of widening access to medicine courses, that support and encourage applications from those students who have the potential, but not the support/experience of education/right information to realise that they can study medicine.

I was brought up on an estate, by my single mother (can you hear the violins playing?) I went to the local primary school, my secondary school was the best of a bad bunch and ended up on special measures and here i am. Studying medicine. And there are more and more people that come from a wide range of backgrounds entering medicine every year.

To be honest you sound as narrow minded as the people you accuse of being elitist.

There is no easy medical school to get into, this has been done to death.

And if someone on this forum has said the comments you've mentioned, it is stupidly easy to quote them.

Also interesting how you haven't once mentioned interaction with patients. We may learn facts, but facts don't mean **** unless you can be aware of the differences in people and treat them accordingly. With maths, the situation never changes if the conditions are the same. With medicine, the same condition can be treated in so many different ways. (I don't mean in terms of pharmaceutical preparations!)
Madprof
Just slightly.

'Hoo haa' doesn't even begin to cover it ... if it wasn't actually happening to people around me, I'd think it was some sick joke; just can't believe the Hewitt and her department, the idea in the first place, the technology screw-ups, the general insane in some cases reapplying for your own job and potentially not even getting an interview even though your bosses really want to keep you ...

At least it's now technically been scrapped. Too late, but it's something.

Indeedy. Scrapping it months before the job allocations was just stupid. And they still don't learn, that NHS National Program for IT is still overspending in the billions without any results....
Thankyou Sarky, just proving it's not all people with über rich still together parents.
Reply 50
Methinks OP= :troll: ;yes;
Reply 51
mrsmann

Cuz it's fun, interesting and does not involve a lot of boring fact recollection. How can you not like maths? It's so cool.

Replace maths with medicine- and there you have it. The reason why I think medicine is cool. Just as maths is cool in your opinion. I'm not even going to try and tell you why medicine isn't just a lot of boring fact recollection.
Anyway, this is going round in circles now. I don't see why it is so difficult for you to comprehend that different people have different interests.
Reply 52
Ribbons
Methinks OP= :troll: ;yes;

LOL
Reply 53
Philosoraptor
Thankyou Sarky, just proving it's not all people with über rich still together parents.
I think it may be because i'm at a London uni, or just in relatively expensive halls (with probably 1/4 of my year), but it does seem like everyone comes from relatively well off backgrounds here.

I dont see how that's so wrong though. It's not like we all went to private school and paid for our grades.
Reply 54
Saffie
It's not like we all went to private school and paid for our grades.

Yeah, because kids who go to private school don't have to do any work for their grades:rolleyes:
Nonono, you're getting me completely wrong. I'm not saying that you are any less deserving at all, being rich doesn't get you As and Bs at A level, I was merely responding to the (OP? I think it was) who said only really well off people get in or something! I'd rather be well off lol, got nothing against you.
mrsmann

mrsmann

No, I think you should really grow up and accept different people might not share your love for maths and physics. You have garnered annoyed responses from people on here not because you think that physics and maths are better (you are entitled to your opinion) but because you entered the medicine forum, basically implied that the subject is a lot of rubbish in a series of sweeping and subjective generalisations, and then asked people to justify why they wanted to do it. We know why we want to do medicine. Why on earth should we have to justify it to someone so rude and abrasive as yourself?

mrsmann

No, it is not in the least like that. That is a perfectly civil question. You, on the other hand, did not pose your question in an at all civilised manner. You are just as arrogant and elite as you accuse us of being. You did not come on here to listen to our opinions, you came on here to be rude and single-mindedly "prove" that medicine is a rubbish subject in comparison with physics and maths. And you can't even provide any substantial proof other than your own subjective opinion - all you can say is "medicine sucks" without any reasoning (see your quote below). Very mature.

mrsmann
And of course it's personal opinion, what else could it be? Do you really think there's a list of objective facts proving Maths and Physics are better than Medicine? (They are, by the way).
OP: If your so sure that medicine is something you'd never want to study, why did you bother coming on this forum in the first place?
No, it's perfectly valid, I personally could never do physics; there'd be nothing wrong with me asking "How could you do it? I personally couldn't because I find it so long-winded" whatever, it's just a matter of how you word it.
Reply 59
Philosoraptor
Nonono, you're getting me completely wrong. I'm not saying that you are any less deserving at all, being rich doesn't get you As and Bs at A level, I was merely responding to the (OP? I think it was) who said only really well off people get in or something! I'd rather be well off lol, got nothing against you.

Exactly, and my point was if you go to a medical school with widening access schemes in place (especially medical schools with a specific cohort of people who came in through this scheme) then you will not have just the stereotypical idea of medical student.

Kings had one of the first widening access schemes which took around 30 people a year. Southampton has one (which is the best one:p: ), Nottingham and Liverpool amongst others. Most other medical schools have some sort of scheme in place, but the above have a specific number of places offered to students coming in through this way. I have nothing against people coming in through more traditional means, but i didn't and i'm here so it can be done!

Latest

Trending

Trending