The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Saffie
I think it may be because i'm at a London uni, or just in relatively expensive halls (with probably 1/4 of my year), but it does seem like everyone comes from relatively well off backgrounds here.

I dont see how that's so wrong though. It's not like we all went to private school and paid for our grades.

This is a ridiculous attitude. Having been educated in both, the syllabus material does not osmose into anyones' brain. Sure some people are quicker on the uptake, but overall everyone does learn the same stuff, sure teachers make a huge difference, but the same books and internet resources are availiable, Ive know people from London comprehensives go up to Cambridge and people from one of the best private schools in the country crash out with EEU at AS, This is a attitude that has to change.
Reply 61
Wangers
This is a ridiculous attitude. Having been educated in both, the syllabus material does not osmose into anyones' brain. Sure some people are quicker on the uptake, but overall everyone does learn the same stuff, sure teachers make a huge difference, but the same books and internet resources are availiable, Ive know people from London comprehensives go up to Cambridge and people from one of the best private schools in the country crash out with EEU at AS, This is a attitude that has to change.
I know... i was generalising rather a lot. :biggrin: I realise there's it's not all black and white. There are some less good private schools and some amazing state schools and there are grammar schools.

In general, state schools do not push you.
In general, private schools do push you.

In general, by paying to go to private school, you are paying to be pushed, you are paying to get higher grades and go to better unis.
Reply 62
So based on what two people have said, you are saying that all medical students are elitist?
I'm not sure why you're saying this even when you bolded the word in my statement that made it absolutely clear I was referring to ONE PERSON!!! The rest of your post is based on this incorrect judgement so I ignore it, except:

Also interesting how you haven't once mentioned interaction with patients.
I really have no interest in this. I think it's great there are doctors (otherwise I might be dead) but I personally couldn't handle being a doctor that looks at patients.

I don't see why it is so difficult for you to comprehend that different people have different interests.
It's not difficult and I made this clear earlier if you bothered reading my posts. I'm just looking for some information. You say it's not boring fact recollection -- can you please tell me how? This is how I envisage it (maybe wrongly): you're taught all the names of the bones, all the veins and arteries, and disease A is when you buildup dead red blood cells in artery A, disease B is when you buildup dead white blood cells in artery B, etc, etc. Are you telling me that medicine is not at all like that?

And you can't even provide any substantial proof other than your own subjective opinion - all you can say is "medicine sucks" without any reasoning (see your quote below). Very mature.
So what is this substantial proof? Please let me know. How can I not be mature when you're making all these false accusations? All I've done is listened to people and called out any comments I don't understand or are stupid (like yours).

OP: If your so sure that medicine is something you'd never want to study, why did you bother coming on this forum in the first place?
For your information I applied for medicine and then rejected my offers cause I realised I hated it. No doubt you'll say something rude like "thank god, I don't want a doctor like you," just like the comments that were said to people who apparently can't search the internet. Ridiculous.
Excuse me? Were you calling me elitist?
Reply 64
Yes you. You started this whole thing.
I believe you started it by jumping in and insulting the degree choice of everyone on this forum by making sweeping statements like medicine's all about "memorisation" etc etc when it clearly is much more than that. I merely pointed out that no-one should have to justify their own choices and that you should consider that other people will have different opinions to yourself. I can totally understand why someone would want to do maths or physics over medicine. But unlike you, I wouldn't ask them so aggressively to justify their choices.

And I am not in the least elitist. Neither of those two statements could EVER have come out of my lips

mrsmann
If you want to get into an easy university I don't want you treating me"
"If your parents don't make more than 30k don't go to med school even though there's nothing else you want to do"
Reply 66
I wasn't being aggressive. Yes no one has to justify their choices. Just like I don't have to justify why the integral of x is (1/2)x^2, but it would be nice if I explained it to someone.
There's nothing wrong with asking, no-one had to justify their choice, it's ok to ask like I said before, more how it was worded.
Reply 68
My wording was fine. If you read my original post, it was perfectly reasonable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrsmann
I wasn't being aggressive. Yes no one has to justify their choices. Just like I don't have to justify why the integral of x is (1/2)x^2, but it would be nice if I explained it to someone.

Asking that sort of question is nice and civilised. Lovely. The topic as a whole would be interesting, but as a proper discussion. It started off reasonable, but it's little statements like the following that are bound to get people worked up (and you must have known it when you wrote them):

It's a lot of hard work to study an uninteresting subject

Maybe different people have different opinions (no ***** but it's just weird).

Do you really think there's a list of objective facts proving Maths and Physics are better than Medicine? (They are, by the way)

a lot of boring fact recollection

I don't mind if you like maths or physics more than medicine. I don't think everyone in the word shares my opinions - in fact, most of my friends would think similarly to you. But when we have a discussion about this, they aren't rude about it. They don't constantly insult my subject. They discuss intelligently and with knowledge of what they are speaking, instead of making gross generalizations.
Reply 70
mrsmann

I really have no interest in this. I think it's great there are doctors (otherwise I might be dead) but I personally couldn't handle being a doctor that looks at patients.

Which doctors don't look at patients? :confused:

Why are we even bothering entertaining this poster...
Reply 71
The ones that do research? Phds? Teaching? If you don't like me stop posting in my thread. You really are pissing me off.

As for becca, we're going around in circles. The list of quotes you wrote, I don't think that's rude. But you do, so whatever. It wasn't my intention to be rude. So let's just leave it at that.
mrsmann
As for becca, we're going around in circles. The list of quotes you wrote, I don't think that's rude. But you do, so whatever. It wasn't my intention to be rude. So let's just leave it at that.

We are. Perhaps just a case of internet forumitis? It's funny how the written word is so open to interpretation. And if you've thought me rude or whatever, then sorry. Hormones! :redface:
Reply 73
mrsmann
The ones that do research? Phds? Teaching? If you don't like me stop posting in my thread. You really are pissing me off.

I'll post in this thread if i want to, if you don't like it then tough. It's a public forum. I asked a question you answered it. Are we only allowed to post in this thread if we like you? Damn...there might be a mass exodus then.

So you like maths, we like medicine. Lots of people have explained why without resorting to the same manner that you have displayed. What sort of answers were you hoping for?
Reply 74
becca2389
We are. Perhaps just a case of internet forumitis? It's funny how the written word is so open to interpretation. And if you've thought me rude or whatever, then sorry. Hormones! :redface:
I accept your apology. I will apologise if you think I've been rude.

I'll post in this thread if i want to, if you don't like it then tough. It's a public forum. I asked a question you answered it. Are we only allowed to post in this thread if we like you? Damn...there might be a mass exodus then.

So you like maths, we like medicine. Lots of people have explained why without resorting to the same manner that you have displayed. What sort of answers were you hoping for?
If you're doing medicine I'd expect you to be nice. I hope I don't end up as your patient.

The sort of answers I was looking for has been displayed by a few mature members of this forum. Unlike you.
Reply 75
mrsmann

If you're doing medicine I'd expect you to be nice. I hope I don't end up as your patient.

The sort of answers I was looking for has been displayed by a few mature members of this forum. Unlike you.

You don't know anything about my personality and furthermore, my attitude to patients. One post from me does not tell you anything about how i act at uni :wink:.

I could say what i thought of you from reading this thread. But that would be my perception of you from this thread, not you as a person.

If you honestly can't see why you have got people's backs up, i'm very surprised.
Reply 76
mrsmann

erm if you wanted to phds etc you would have to do alot of clinical beforehand you know
Reply 77
oh and the only people who want to do medicine are complete nutjobs
:rolleyes:
Reply 78
mrsmann

It's not difficult and I made this clear earlier if you bothered reading my posts. I'm just looking for some information. You say it's not boring fact recollection -- can you please tell me how? This is how I envisage it (maybe wrongly): you're taught all the names of the bones, all the veins and arteries, and disease A is when you buildup dead red blood cells in artery A, disease B is when you buildup dead white blood cells in artery B, etc, etc. Are you telling me that medicine is not at all like that?

Everything involves factual knowledge and recall. When you're walking down the street you're using the factual knowledge of the location of places.
If the factual knowledge happens to be something that interests one, then all the better.

You say it's not boring fact recollection -- can you please tell me how?

I didn't elaborate on that, because I thought it was pretty obvious that it wouldn't be 'boring factual recollection' if one found it interesting. That's all it meant.

A disease process isn't a random collection of happenings. Usually there is a clue of the underlying disorder within the name. You do need to learn things. But I don't see this as being hugely different to recalling say, physical or chemical processes. Are you saying that there is no element of recalling facts in a physics degree?:p:
Using your example for terminology now, the names aren't that random really, they have a certain level of...organisation. E.g. different regions of the body are given different names, and vessels within that region may have that term as their prefix. Even if it is otherwise, after a while, the names come naturally. It is like recalling the names of colours, or perhaps the tiny streets in your new neighbourhood.

I think the tone of replies has been such because it wasn't clear what information you're looking for. It read as if you were ridiculing/belittling medicine because you didn't find it exciting.
I see where you are coming from now, your question earlier wasn't specific enough for me to give a better reply :dontknow:.
Reply 79
mrsmann
I don['t understand it. It's 6 years, you're gonna be in debt, the course is not fun at all. All it is is memorisation of facts, there's no(t as much) logical thinking like Physics and Maths and I just don't like it.

So why do you want to do it? It's a lot of hard work to study an uninteresting subject. I hate the thought of even studying anything related to Biology. I hate Biology.

To quote Dr.Cox - Chicks, Money, Power and Chicks.
Jokes.... I'm not really like that.... well mayby a little, but not that much.... actually quite a bit.... okay I live my life aiming for those three things... what can I say...

Latest

Trending

Trending