The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

cool story can't wait for more :colone:
Original post by hideNfreak
cool story can't wait for more :colone:

Aw thank youu <3 :hugs:
Wow, what a stupid system you have in France. I think we have a great education system here in the UK, and also some of the best medical schools in the world. And they don't do silly things like enlisting thousands of people with the aim of failing most of them, or making you work like an absolute dog to pass.

Doctors should be clever and knowledgable, but they also need a social life and other interests. The French medical system seems like a one-way ticket to burnout, and fast.
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
;D

Aw really ? Glad I helped you think about it :h: I really hope you'll be in England (if that's your first choice I mean) :biggrin: ! If you don't, remember the only frontier for your dream is the one you draw yourself <3

Thank youu! :h:

And best of luck to you too. (Can't wait to read the rest of your blog X) <3
Original post by flyingpanda
Thank youu! :h:

And best of luck to you too. (Can't wait to read the rest of your blog X) <3

Thanks to you !! :h:
Am sooo happy you enjoy it :biggrin: !!! At least you travel right ? So that's not as bad as it seems :3 !

Ikr ! And yeah the level of languages here.. Let's just say LOL we suck at languages (I'm a particular case) Yes that's great you're bilingual !! And french is a difficult language to learn, well done :smile: !

They're on my bucket list too ! Well my course will depends on a lot of things haha, at least 6 years, then I can do 5-6 years more there , or choose the country I want in Europe or USA/Australia/New Zealand to continue to study there. Right now I'm more like into USA, but I have 6 years to decide so we'll see :P

Sliver linings I guess, it was a nice way to be pushed to make the best of it. :biggrin:

Cheers, it took a few years to really learn properly, but definitely worth it (I still hate masculine-feminine though... 8 bloody years and I still can't figure out 'le' or 'la' xD )

Wow so at least 12 years or so total in medicine, that's dedication, especially after surviving France :smile: What got you interested in medicine?

Of those 3 i've only been to the US, I wouldn't want to live there, but a few years there'd be worth doing
Original post by davros1996
Sliver linings I guess, it was a nice way to be pushed to make the best of it. :biggrin:

Cheers, it took a few years to really learn properly, but definitely worth it (I still hate masculine-feminine though... 8 bloody years and I still can't figure out 'le' or 'la' xD )

Wow so at least 12 years or so total in medicine, that's dedication, especially after surviving France :smile: What got you interested in medicine?

Of those 3 i've only been to the US, I wouldn't want to live there, but a few years there'd be worth doing

Ah "le" and "la" , toute une histoire :lol:

Yep haha a long time :P but that's my dream :3

When I was 12 I had appendicitis and the surgeon asked me what I would do with my life and I did not know. But after the surgery I was obsessed by hospital and wanted to be like the surgeon , she impressed me I guess :P
That was a kid's dream , and when I grew up, years by years, I was a little bit more sure of all of this. In my life I had to deal with a lot of doctors (long story , I'll tell this one in my blog , but I'm not sick or something don't worry !) well, and I don't know maybe it was bad luck ? But some of them were so .. Stupid. I mean they did not even listened when I said I was in pain and things like that. For each doctor who did not believe me, I made the promise I would become someone who listen to the others, who stop their pain. It became an obsession, and today I'm on my way to this dream :P

Yep I'll see, after moving for Prague I'll become a runaway anyway haha , so travelling would be great ;D
Original post by navarre
Wow, what a stupid system you have in France. I think we have a great education system here in the UK, and also some of the best medical schools in the world. And they don't do silly things like enlisting thousands of people with the aim of failing most of them, or making you work like an absolute dog to pass.

Doctors should be clever and knowledgable, but they also need a social life and other interests. The French medical system seems like a one-way ticket to burnout, and fast.

I'm sorry I did not see your post before !!
I absolutely agree with you, by this system they turn us into stupid machines.. We only WORK AND WORK AND WORK all the time, and we don't even know if we're gonna pass or not, we're totally confused the entire year until the resulat day.
And I think a lot of people who could become great doctors are just.. Failing ^^!

Burn out haha.. I did one actually :lol: I tell it on my blog someday ^^

And I find your system in UK much much better as well !
Bonjouuuuur tout le monde !

Here I am, the first unicorn of whole TSR ! I want to write a blog to share my experience -and to help me get through it why not- as a student who failed medicine. I noticed before that no one really knows how med studies goes on right here in France, and it is DEFINITELY different from the med system in UK.
That's why I decided to tell you how it is, the whole thing, the official things, and the secrets things, and ALL OF IT.

I can tell that was the most awful and wonderful experience of my whole life -yes both awful and wonderful- you learn a lot, and you change. You can't be the same person anymore after getting through such a thing. Well, let's start my friends !

To start this blog, you need to know all about med studies in here. My first post will be all about it :h: this part will be a bit complicated and technical, if you don't get it all at first it's okay don't worry :wink: !

Applying.
When you're at college, you can apply to 4 med schools. The special thing about France is, EVERYONE can go to a med school, whatever his grades ! Because the selection occurs during the first year, you'll understand.
So, at college I had good grades but I was not the best (this part is a really long story, I'll tell you all about it later) and decided to apply for med schools because my dream has always been to become a surgeon. When you apply, that's a computer who will decide in which school you'll go, according to your 4 choices. This is this way for equality -that's what they say..- then, each med school could be heterogenous enough.
The computer's choice is based on your mention at the baccalaureate. Here are the different mentions you can get :
- No mention : grade between 10/20 and 12/20
- Mention "assez bien" : 12-14/20
- Mention "bien" : 14-16/20
- Mention "très bien" : 16-20/20

The purpose of the computer system is to have at the end 25% of each students in each med school. Everyone is following it's okay ? Well. I was taken in my first choice, who was also the best med school of whole France (according to the concours of the 6th year, that's an other story, to be continued !) And once you're taken, the nightmare begins :h: !
I will now talk about my school, the numbers I'll give etc are according to my school *it's everywhere else kinda the same thing tho*

About the med school.
The first year is called PACES or Première Année Commune aux Études de Santé (first common year of health studies) or P1. A first year student is also called a P1, so if you hear me sometimes say something like "the other P1" I would be talking about the 1st year students.
The particular thing here is -yes, a lot of things are particular with France actually !- that we have to pass a "concours" I don't know how to translate it in english, but it means at the exam your grades have to be better that everyone else's grades, you can fail with good grades.
Also, this concours is not only for those who wanna do med studies ! It's for all the people who wanna become : doctors in medicine, dentist, pharmacist, physiotherapist, midwifery. We are 2500 students. There are 331 places in medicine, 115 places in pharma, 36 in dentistery, 30 for midwifery, 28 for physio. Yeah. 540 places, 2500 students. Let's fight.

You know about all this stuff when you apply, you just don't realize. You don't realize it's not as easy as it sounds ... Why limited places ? Because as you might already know, our Social Security system has a huge whole, and if there is too much doctors, there is too much drugs, and too much money who goes. The thing is, we are in need of doctors in France, we don't have enough ... Cherchez l'erreur ! (= search for the mistake, french expression, does it make sense in english ?)

About courses.
The year works like that. 2500 students, 9 months, 2 semesters, 2 examinations (11 different tests) and .. 540 winners.
We learn subjects by "UE -> Unité d'Enseignement" it's like a module, each module will have is own test, and each module is about a few differents subjects. For the first semester, who start around the 10th september, there are 4 UE :
- UE1 : general chemistery, organic chemistry, biochemistery
- UE2 : cell biology, reproductive biology, histology, embryology
- UE3.1 : physics, biophysics
- UE5 : anatomy
The examination takes place around the 15th december. You need to know that all theses subjects are ALL DONE in 3 months, and there are the equivalence of : 2 years in a biology course, 3 years in a physics course + all the anatomy stuff. I'm not joking or exagerating. This is TRUE. Unfortunaltely. And that's all about the first semester for now, this is not the end haha !

After the semester 1 (S1) we have the S2, with :
- UE3.2 : biophysics + physiology
- UE4 : biostatistics
- UE6 : drug's knowledge
- UE7 : psychology, law, public health and medicine history
- UECS1 : anatomy
- UECS2 + UEP : pharmaceutical science

In this semester, it's like doing one year of psychology. For the rest I don't even know ;P Well ! The S2 starts around the 5th january and ends up around the 5th may.
The first examination ends up to a rating , from 1 to 2500. This rating is not definitive tho, and the S2 is here to : helps you keep your place, helps you gain places in the rating. Obviously, when you're to far from the 331 , you have no chance and you retake the year. The thing is, you can only do the year twice. And if you are after the 1500th, you can't retake at all. Yeah, awful I know. I'll tell you about it later !

When you have so much to learn, you wish a day could me more than 24h (I really made that wish actually haha) , and you start having bad habits like sleeping only 6h a night (just, NEVER do it haha I can certify it's not good :lol: ) ; eating too fast (in 30min.. Don't do it as well !) and other weird stuff like that.

The worse part is the culpability you feel, you're always like "if you take a too long shower, you'll lost places at the rating" I SWEAR to you, we have thoughts like that. We definitely turn insane lol.

Now, you know all about med studies in France. Officially. That's what it is supposed to be, and it is the way it is, BUT. But med students are more than just numbers, and a lot of people can't see that.
I wanna tell you about it, about our feelings, because we are not numbers. Right now I'm trying to convince myself, but that's hard' , because whatever happens, when you put a foot inside a med school, you become a number. You fight for a rating, you live for it, you dream about it, you eat- and sometimes don't even eat- for it, you want to be a part of the 331 , you wanna be a number. You want to. That's when you become a number you did not wanted to be, that you realize that you were not supposed to be a number at all.
That you were not just the 529th, that you were still a human. You want to believe it, you try, but it takes time. Because it's too late, you are a number for everyone else.

Thanks for reading guys I hope you find it interesting, feel free to ask anything if I was not clear enough or something.

The next time : I will tell you about a typical med student day, how the courses goes on, the houuuuurs of hard working, and I'll tell you a bit about my grades before the med school, and at the med school, and the thing about me being a genius kid (that's an interesting fact you know, because when you have been the number one your whole life, you don't even imagine that you can fail. To be continued !)

Thanks again for reading, love you all <3 !

@CleverSquirrel @Amellia123 @z33 @Indieboohoo1 @Andy98 @iEthan @Blondie987 @Impressive @ByronicHero @Student403 @mkap @ForestShadow @ServantOfMorgoth @Matrix123 @homeland.lsw @TheOtherSide. @Alexion @Ethereal World @SassKing13 @RickmanAlways

Thanks for the tag. I would probably have missed it otherwise.

This competition is a great idea but in the same time boring (studying as hard as possible) and not really cool (choosing people based on rating). I believe few changes could possibly enhance the entire process but what can I do here.

You've said you'll tell us "ALL OF IT", where is the second part then?

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
Thanks for the tag. I would probably have missed it otherwise.

This competition is a great idea but in the same time boring (studying as hard as possible) and not really cool (choosing people based on rating). I believe few changes could possibly enhance the entire process but what can I do here.

You've said you'll tell us "ALL OF IT", where is the second part then?

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for reading :h:

The competition is necessary, but I think it should be a little more fair than that. Because we're not judge on our ability to become great doctors, but on our ability to learn as much as possible, including things we don't even care in a medical course and we wont use anymore once the first year is done .. There are a lot to change I think, but nobody can do anything I guess ^^.

Yes all of it, the next part is incoming I did not decide yet when to post it

And nope I don't mind for the quote :P
Helloooo <3 !

Me again :3 Today, part 2 !
To be honest I did not expected so much people to be that interested by all of it, but it was the case ^_^. All of you motivate me to continue to write about this part of my life, and actually, as I said before to a few people, it helps me .. I did not expected that, but writing about my failure releases me of that.. Pain ? I don't really know, just wanna say I eel good by writing, so thanks for reading me guys <3 :hugs:

What I did not say the last time.
Yeah, I could not say all at once right ? Well. As you already know, we were 2500 students. And a lot of us retake the year, you know it as well. Why am I telling you this ? Because that's an important part of my story, it will explain a lot -I guess-. So ! At the med school, the P1 *the first year students- remember ?* can be two types of people.
We can be a "primant" or a "doublant" (I can't translate these words so I'll use them like this if you don't mind <3)A primant, is someone who is doing the year for the first time, and a doublant is someone who retakes the year. 2500 students, 1600 primants, 900 doublants. Yay.
What does it mean ? It means the doublants will be stronger than the primants, and the primants has to work really hard to reach the level of knowledge of the doublants. But the war is hard enough, isn't it ? Nope, welcome in hell. I know right.

Let's talk about me being a primant.
What's a typical day of a med student ? On a day, we have 4h of lessons (2 lessons). So on the morning we go to lessons, and the rest of the day is spending learning this lesson. Sounds simple right ? So when I was a primant, I used to go to all my lessons during the first month. I did not realize that I could not just learn a lesson after a lesson without revising the old lessons (I was revising but not really seriously).
A lot of primant are like that, they take ages to understand how it works, that's why they become doublants at the end, because when they understand it's too late ! So, once you discover you have too much to learn, you start acting like the doublants, and don't go to lessons anymore to learn by yourself and gain time. Because time is precious for a first year med student.
Time is not money my friends, time is places on the rating.
I used to work at home, the first month I thought I was better than everyone else because I have a good memory, but a lot of students have a good memory, I did not know it yet. My first month was quite okay, I used to work 5h a day (without lessons, so 9/10h with the lessons)

How do we practise for the exam ?
Our exam is a multiple-choice questions test. Sounds easy right ? Nah. Worst thing ever. A simple grammar thing can blow your whole life lol, I'm not even kidding. Multiple-choice tests are horrible in a first year med student life.
We become crazy, I'm still traumatized today :lol: ! Well. We had a mock per week, organized by the second year students , who are called tutors, to help us, P1, to practise with this form of exam (at college we have regular exam so we're not used with multiple-choice questions)
How did I discover I was not the best after all ? With my first mock, one month after I started lessons. We were 1600 students and we had a rating. I was the 900th.
I know right.
I was not the best.
I felt weird, because I always been the best student ever, almost my whole life. What was happening then ? Was I fighting with really good students ? Or did I just reach my limit ? I was confused. So confused.
This place in that rating was my first fall ever. Sounds weird, but that's the point everything really began for me, my war against everyone else. You know what happened ?
Reality happened.

"Your child is a genius".
That part of my life is important for you to understand my feelings during my experience of being a P1. So, I was kinda a precocious youngster, and I learned to read by myself at 3 years old. My school life started like this, I entered at shool at 2 years old, but then I moved to an other town so I had to wait until my 3th birthday to go to my new school.
Anyway, I was the best student, during my whole life, and until I was like 14. When I was in elementary school they told me to skip classes, but I remember I told my mum I would not. I would not be that kind of person we look at, "the number one" , "the genius".
When I was 14 , I was wondering what would be life being normal. Being me, not being the girl we ask questions all the time or want her in her group work etc.
I messed up my grades.
On purpose.
Just to see. So before that I used to have 18/20 of academic average, and 14/20 after that. You know the best part ? It did not change anything, it was too late for me, I was the best for everyone, even if I was not the best officially. I never wanted to be the number one again, I don't know why, that's hard to explain.
I was around 14/20 during my whole college, and I had a 13/20 at my baccalaureate. I could not escape certain things tho, I had two 20/20 on my oral exams at my baccalaureate. Messing up with oral things is not as easy as it sounds.
Whatever. I tell you all this to make you understand my point, I was clever, okay. But the society made me a number one. I could not escape that. I tried you know, I tried to be just me. I was trapped.
Until uni.

My war for the rating.
Time to come back at my first mock at uni. 900th. What do we do when we are 900th over 1600 at the mock exam ? We work hard, that's what we do. My days become really REALLY long.
I found out I was tired at night and was at the best of my concentration on the morning. I decided to drop out lessons and stay at home to work more.
I was waking up at 5:15 am, working til 10. Then 15min of break. Then work til 12:30. Lunch break. Work between 1pm and 4pm. 30min of break. Work between 4:30 and 8pm. End of the day. I was going to bed at 10pm. And each day was the same, again and again and again.
Mocks were passing, I was progressing. A lot of people stopped coming so we were only 900 to go to the mock, I was around the 300th. Still not the best, with all that work ? Exactly.
I finally had what I always wanted in my life. But was it as good as I expected it to be ?
I was finally just me.

Thanks for reading me guys !! :hugs:

The next time ! I'll tell you about my first "lost of mind" haha, and about the "prépas privées" , private organizations who are here to help students to improve.. Students who can afford it.. You'll understand the next time :wink: LoveLove <3

@CleverSquirrel @Amellia123 @Matrix123 @iEthan @Andy98 @Kyx @Ethereal World @ForestShadow @Impressive @RickmanAlways @tilray @JBLondon @hideNfreak @navarre @flyingpanda @apronedsamurai @Metrododo @Hydeman @davros1996
(edited 8 years ago)
Very interesting reading again, especially about the messing up your grades on purpose. Do you regret it now, looking back?
Original post by JBLondon
Very interesting reading again, especially about the messing up your grades on purpose. Do you regret it now, looking back?

Thaaank youuu :biggrin: !
Not really because my grades had nothing to do with my future, I mean everyone can get into med school whatever his grades so it was not disturbing at all
And if I was not the best at uni that's not because I messed up my grades, that was just because I reached my limit, uni is not like college, there are a loooot of students, of VERY GOOD students ^^. When we are all good, a good student like me just becomes less good :P

I don't regret :3
Thaaank youuu :biggrin: !
Not really because my grades had nothing to do with my future, I mean everyone can get into med school whatever his grades so it was not disturbing at all
And if I was not the best at uni that's not because I messed up my grades, that was just because I reached my limit, uni is not like college, there are a loooot of students, of VERY GOOD students ^^. When we are all good, a good student like me just becomes less good :P

I don't regret :3

So true. I've always coasted my way to good grades, but I know when I start medical school in September, those days are over, and I'll have to work damn hard just to keep up. Strangely, I'm looking forward to it.
X

Excellent post, Unicorn. :smile: I love the way you write. xD

Looking forward to the next edition!
Original post by JBLondon
So true. I've always coasted my way to good grades, but I know when I start medical school in September, those days are over, and I'll have to work damn hard just to keep up. Strangely, I'm looking forward to it.

I wish you the best !!! Everything'll be fine :wink:
And I suppose you're in UK ? Once you're in your med school you can't be thrown away, you're in and that's it, you're safe , right ? (That's a real question haha I don't know :P )
Original post by Hydeman
Excellent post, Unicorn. :smile: I love the way you write. xD

Looking forward to the next edition!

Thank youuuuu for reading :smile: I'm glad you like it :h:
I wish you the best !!! Everything'll be fine :wink:
And I suppose you're in UK ? Once you're in your med school you can't be thrown away, you're in and that's it, you're safe , right ? (That's a real question haha I don't know :P )

Unfortunately, no. :wink:

Thank youuuuu for reading :smile: I'm glad you like it :h:

Thank you for writing it. :h:
Original post by Hydeman
Unfortunately, no. :wink:

Thank you for writing it. :h:

Awww really ? I did not know about that I thought the competitivity was occuring during college only, well I bet JBLondon will be fine :3

YW :3
Reply 98
More more!
Original post by tilray
More more!

Thank youuu for reading :hugs: <3
I'm glad you enjoy :h:

Quick Reply

Latest