The Student Room Group

Erasmus vs Bocconi vs Edinburgh

Hi everybody,
this is my first time posting here so correct me if I did anything wrong.
A bit of information on me: I'm a 19 year old Dutch guy who was born and raised in Italy, were I'm currently finishing my highschool (Liceo).
I have been accepted at a few universities in three different countries and I'm mighty undecided between my first choices for each of them.
For the Netherlands it's the Erasmus School of Management for International Business Administration.
For Italy it's Bocconi for International Economics and Business.
For the UK it's the University of Edinburgh for International Business.
I'm leaning more toward Erasmus and Bocconi for the simple fact that their programmes are 3 years each including exchanges instead of 4 for Edinburgh (plus Scottish weather is truly atrocious, even compared to the Netherlands).
I guess that if my future aim is to remain in Italy, Bocconi is the best choice because of it's network of partners, while I think that Erasmus can offer me more on an international level.
Furthermore, going to Erasmus means moving out on my own to another country, which is exciting, eventhough I have family at an hour distance, while Bocconi is a 3/3,30 hour ride from my parent's home.
Other minor considerations I made are that Rotterdam
is cheaper than Milan, both in university and living costs (although that is not too much of a bother) and that Italy has better weather and food (very minor consideration).
In the end I think I'm more directed towards Erasmus, but I really wouldn't know, I don't have any long term plans, I want to first do my bachelor and after that maybe a masters of something.
Other universities that I have applied for are:
-Netherlands: Amsterdam and Utrecht, awaiting Tilburg;
-UK: Leeds and Kent, awaiting Exeter, refused by Cambridge;
-Italy: Pisa (my local university, it doesn't have limited places).
Already thanks to everybody in advance.
the rest of the universities you have applied to are inferior compared to the three that have already accepted you. it is as you said i would choose between erasmus and bocconi. I think even in an international career Bocconi is a powerhouse but Erasmus is very good aswell.
I just went to the Bocconi open day today, and I went to the Rotterdam open day in October. I have been accepted to both, although I live in Milan I think I would prefer to go and study in Rotterdam, for two reasons; firstly, I do not wish to live with my parents and secondly, at the open day today I noticed 2 interesting facts. Firstly, out of approx. 15000 students only approx 2000 are international. Secondly, only 25% of students find employment outside of Italy. These statistics are all better in Rotterdam making me think that Erasmus is the better choice (being an internationally minded person).

Although, I think Bocconi has a slightly more prestigious reputation, as well as the course name sounds better (I am accepted for the same courses as you).

I am in doubt, let me know how you chose. In the end I think it has to come down to our instinct and where we feel more comfortable.
Reply 3
Original post by George255
the rest of the universities you have applied to are inferior compared to the three that have already accepted you. it is as you said i would choose between erasmus and bocconi. I think even in an international career Bocconi is a powerhouse but Erasmus is very good aswell.

Hi it sounded as if you may be studying business so I am asking if you could do my survey for my dissertation as I am in desperate need of Business student to complete it.
http://bit.ly/1nXBAHm
Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending