The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

I don't even believe in cultural appropriation with the exception of intentions to offend or degrade.
Surely participating in another culture in a positive way (e.g wearing a kimono because you think it's beautiful) is just promoting the culture. I think it's just about learning about the world around us, just like eating different foods or learning about cultural behaviors. Without this, we would just be ignorant.
Also, can't help but see people think that only white people can commit appropriation because they are a "majority" (lol) when I see no black/Asian/non-white person being told not to wear jeans or converses because they are appropriating. It's almost like people think that white people have no culture... oh wait.
p.s when I say white people I mean Europeans or decedents of Europeans e.g. Americans, Australians, etc.
Original post by admonit
Arab Jews means Arab Jews, not Arabs. Judaism is practiced only by Jews, because Judaism is national Jewish religion:
"Judaism ( ... the distinctive characteristics of the Judean ethnos)[3] encompasses the religion, philosophy, culture and way of life of the Jewish people".
I'm just trying kindly explain you that Jews are not Arabs and Arabs are not Jews. I hope that eventually you will be able to understand this complicated academic fact.
:hat2:

But an Arab isn't a religion?They're just a person from the middle east region so why can't there be Arab Jews?so,if they identify as Arab Jews,we have no right to tell them what they can't be.
Original post by queen-bee
university is more than just an institution of learning. It's about Learning and experiencing new things and there should be safe guards in place to stop silly and hateful things from happening and causing mental and emotional disturbances. You can't just tell these people to shrug it off,doesn't make the problem go away

PRSOM.
You can't just tell these people to shrug it off

I can, and that's my proposed solution for any of these posers that isn't willing to take a break/drop out.

university is more than just an institution of learning. It's about Learning and experiencing new things and there should be safe guards in place to stop silly and hateful things from happening and causing mental and emotional disturbances.

And these 'cultural appropriation' protesters are opposed to that -- they don't want to experience new things that they don't agree with, to the extent that they're willing to disrupt other students' time at university. It's clear to anybody with any sense that they self-victimise themselves to get what they want, not because they're actually being subjected to any injustice.

I also think that you're confusing this issue with bullying, for which safeguards already exist. Make no mistake about it -- there aren't any victims and oppressors here. They deliberately portray it this way to get sympathy for their bulls--t cause.
Original post by Hydeman
I can, and that's my proposed solution for any of these posers that isn't willing to take a break/drop out.

And these 'cultural appropriation' protesters are opposed to that -- they don't want to experience new things that they don't agree with, to the extent that they're willing to disrupt other students' time at university. It's clear to anybody with any sense that they self-victimise themselves to get what they want, not because they're actually being subjected to any injustice.

I also think that you're confusing this issue with bullying, for which safeguards already exist. Make no mistake about it -- there aren't any victims and oppressors here. They deliberately portray it this way to get sympathy for their bulls--t cause.

So because you haven't experienced such a thing or don't believe in it,That means it's irrelevant and that universities shouldn't bother catering the victims?
university is more than just an institution of learning. It's about Learning and experiencing new things and there should be safe guards in place to stop silly and hateful things from happening and causing mental and emotional disturbances. You can't just tell these people to shrug it off,doesn't make the problem go away

But there's a line. Of course there should be rules in place e.g no racist comments with punishments if broken, but you cannot shield students from everything that offends them. That's not an accurate reflection on reality. There is no proper "safe space" in real life or the internet. What will happen when these students that were shielded from opinions that oppose their's are confronted with someone who just simply doesn't care? People need to learn that there is a lot of people out there who have all sorts of opinions and beliefs, many of which won't agree with their own.
So because you haven't experienced such a thing or don't believe in it,That means it's irrelevant and that universities shouldn't bother catering the victims?

Unless you're proposing that victimhood can be claimed simply by assertion, I don't think that there are any victims to cater for here.

You also ignored most of my post to ask this question. :colonhash:
I don't think safe-spaces are a bad idea. When slurs demeaning women are thrown around everywhere in the name of "banter", when the cultural practices of minorities are mocked, parodied and/or appropriated by people who neither understand nor appreciate the context and history behind them, when marginalised people are told to "get over it" and "deal with it" - then I can see why said marginalised groups would require safe-spaces to discuss their issues in the absence of harmful, dismissive attitudes prevalent elsewhere.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
But there's a line. Of course there should be rules in place e.g no racist comments with punishments if broken, but you cannot shield students from everything that offends them. That's not an accurate reflection on reality. There is no proper "safe space" in real life or the internet. What will happen when these students that were shielded from opinions that oppose their's are confronted with someone who just simply doesn't care? People need to learn that there is a lot of people out there who have all sorts of opinions and beliefs, many of which won't agree with their own.

This is true,but people feel genuinely concerned by such issues,so I feel the reason the universities have done something about it is because they don't want to be accused of supporting racism,exploitation of peoples cultures etc.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I don't think safe-spaces are a bad idea. When slurs demeaning women are thrown around everywhere in the name of "banter", when the cultural practices of minorities are mocked, parodied and/or appropriated by people who neither understand nor appreciate the context and history behind them, when marginalised people are told to "get over it" and "deal with it" - then I can see why said marginalised groups would require safe-spaces to discuss their issues in the absence of harmful, dismissive attitudes prevalent elsewhere.

Omg Thank You!

(Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
Omg Thank You!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Unless you're proposing that victimhood can be claimed simply by assertion, I don't think that there are any victims to cater for here.

You also ignored most of my post to ask this question. :colonhash:

clearly,the universities feel that there are real victims here.
This is true,but people feel genuinely concerned by such issues,so I feel the reason the universities have done something about it is because they don't want to be accused of supporting racism,exploitation of peoples cultures etc.

which is very sad indeed

I think universities have done this because they are spineless and unwilling to say to these people 'You have no right, not to be offended'. (Of course this is only true in the US as in the UK we have no freedom of speech, so all we can do is ridicule such lunacy)
(edited 8 years ago)
clearly,the universities feel that there are real victims here.

No, the universities feel that they don't have enough money to do all the things that they want to do, so they seek to gain money by admitting students who wouldn't normally be considered mature enough to be at university. If universities can be blamed for something, it's that they consider the cheapening of higher education a price worth paying for this financial advantage.

You're also not addressing any of the points being put to you, instead going off on a new tangent with each reply. :erm:
Original post by zetamcfc
I think universities have done this because they are spineless and unwilling to say to these people 'You have no right, not to be offended'. (Of course this is only true in the US as in the UK we have no freedom of speech)

who is we? I'm pretty sure freedom of speech is allowed in america
who is we? I'm pretty sure freedom of speech is allowed in america

If you look, the 'we' is referring to, us that live in the UK.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn

It's true that real victims need help but safe spaces don't really help in my opinion, Safe spaces don't help them recover but rather tells them it's ok to never try solve the problem. Initially, perhaps, safe spaces are some sort of relief but I don't think it's needed in universities.
Also safe spaces should be ultimately for rape victims and victims of life changing attacks not someone who's been called a "whore" a couple of times or seen someone walk around in their culture's traditional clothing. Just no.
Original post by zetamcfc
If you look, the 'we' is referring to, us that live in the UK.

so you have no freedom of speech?
Original post by Eigo-Jin
It's true that real victims need help but safe spaces don't really help in my opinion, Safe spaces don't help them recover but rather tells them it's ok to never try solve the problem. Initially, perhaps, safe spaces are some sort of relief but I don't think it's needed in universities.
Also safe spaces should be ultimately for rape victims and victims of life changing attacks not someone who's been called a "whore" a couple of times or seen someone walk around in their culture's traditional clothing. Just no.

It's easy to see safe spaces as juvenile if we refuse to acknowledge the invisible burdens that some people carry more than others and the different needs that they might have. Victims of rape and other such incidents have various avenues to get immediate help, and they have their own safe-spaces. But just because you are unable to relate to the problems faced by these groups, it doesn't mean the concept of safe-spaces is somehow flawed. Sure, there's a time and a place for debate, mockery, banter and whatnot, but sometimes these groups feel the need to take breaks - which is perfectly fine.
so you have no freedom of speech?

Well no, we have hate speech laws in the UK thus no freedom of speech. Whereas in the US such laws are unconstitutional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending