The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
But not the freedom of wearing a sombrero or eating sushi?

That would be freedom of choice.
Original post by somesomebody
Cultural appropriation is a thing! lol you'll only hear otherwise from certain whites and ethnic sellouts.

What does this mean?
Original post by DiddyDec
These "activists" can see it anyway they like, that is the beauty of the culture they reside in.

What is wrong with mocking culture?
What is wrong with using culture for your own interests?

Nobody owns culture, it is free for anyone to use it however they please whether that be negatively or positively.

No,mocking somebody else's culture isn't acceptable. Cultural appropriation is a real issue,I've seen and heard the stories . I don't know why y'all are trivialising it.
Being an alumni of KCL,I'm going to go back and check if we have a safe spot for students to discuss cultural appropriation issues on campus
Original post by Unkempt_One
What does this mean?

Think about it.
Ethnic as in usually that refers to person of colour
and sellout...someone who is a person of colour and doesn't show integrity against the social and racial issues that affect people of colour..for being people of colour.
Original post by queen-bee
No,mocking somebody else's culture isn't acceptable. Cultural appropriation is a real issue,I've seen and heard the stories . I don't know why y'all are trivialising it.

Why is it not acceptable? Does mocking someone's culture necessarily cause severe harm to that culture? Also, culture in principio is not necessarily a positive thing. Is the culture of white nationalists not something to be mocked? This is one of the problems with this loose movement, they've cottoned on to the idea that racism is illogical but have no idea how to get the message across in a practical manner without contradicting themselves. Of course, the only solution to the latter problem is free speech.

Because it is bull****.

Cultural appropriation is only ever mentioned when it is a culture not involving white people. It essentially means white people can't do x or y.
Original post by DiddyDec
Because it is bull****.

Cultural appropriation is only ever mentioned when it is a culture not involving white people. It essentially means white people can't do x or y.

Why is that so?

What are you talking about?
Original post by Unkempt_One
Why is it not acceptable? Does mocking someone's culture necessarily cause severe harm to that culture? Also, culture in principio is not necessarily a positive thing. Is the culture of white nationalists not something to be mocked? This is one of the problems with this loose movement, they've cottoned on to the idea that racism is illogical but have no idea how to get the message across in a practical manner without contradicting themselves. Of course, the only solution to the latter problem is free speech.

So free speech for almost anything and everything including hate speech again groups of people in society? Really?
Think about it.
Ethnic as in usually that refers to person of colour
and sellout...someone who is a person of colour and doesn't show integrity against the social and racial issues that affect people of colour..for being people of colour.

This is a pretty good example of where anti-racists go off the rails. They realise that racism is illogical, but get themselves into knots by going against free expression, in this case by implying people have special responsibilities due to the colour of their skin, which is an inherently racist idea.
Reply 50
Oh yes resorting to calling someone a troll who disagrees with you. That's a new one. Look if you aren't intellectually capable of discussing this productively, please click on another forum. You must be "triggered" with these embarrassingly vapid comments.

Says the one who called "ethnic sellouts" the people of colour who disagree with him.

The irony.
Reply 51
No one seems to have a problem appropriating Western culture of modern medicine, industry and democracy. I suppose the rest of the world's people don't want to go back to living in a poverty and pestilence ridden hell hole where you were lucky to live beyond the age of 35.
Why is that so?

What are you talking about?

You have read all the stories, when has cultural appropriation ever been about someone appropriating Western Culture?
Original post by Josb
Says the one who called "ethnic sellouts" the people of colour who disagree with him.

The irony.

That's not even a properly constructed sentence, nor is it completely thought out.

Do you understand what is going on here?

(Oh Lord here comes DiddyDec! :rolleyes:)
Being an alumni of KCL,I'm going to go back and check if we have a safe spot for students to discuss cultural appropriation issues on campus

They already do -
http://www.kclsu.org/pageassets/policyzone/KCLSU-Safe-Space-Policy.pdf

From looking at this, it would appear KCL's Safe Space staff have the power to forcibly remove anyone they disagree with.
Original post by Roofas
No one seems to have a problem appropriating Western culture of modern medicine, industry and democracy. I suppose the rest of the world's people don't want to go back to living in a poverty and pestilence ridden hell hole where you were lucky to live beyond the age of 35.

If I recall,the Arabs gave us algebra,numbers,knowledge on medicine or am I wrong?
So free speech for almost anything and everything including hate speech again groups of people in society? Really?

Yes, actually. Free speech encompasses practically anything that's not illegal. 'Illegal' would be explicitly inciting violence or otherwise law-breaking actions. This seems to be a surprising concept to a lot of people but it's not productive or even necessary to legally enforce every potentially harmful action. And 'potentially' is the key word here since the threat of a non-inciting comment is something entirely construed in the mind of the supposed victim.
Original post by TelAviv
They already do -
http://www.kclsu.org/pageassets/policyzone/KCLSU-Safe-Space-Policy.pdf

From looking at this, it would appear KCL's Safe Space staff have the power to forcibly remove anyone they disagree with.

Thanks sis,gonna check it out!
If I recall,the Arabs gave us algebra,numbers,knowledge on medicine or am I wrong?

You're not wrong, but the vast bulk of the increase in life expectancy was thanks to scientific and medical advances by western countries, in particular the Anglosphere.

I guess you could cultural appropriation is even essential to the advancement of civilisation ???
(edited 8 years ago)
If your university has a safe space,do let me know,would be interesting to hear about any cultural appropriation stories that have taken place on campus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending