The Student Room Group

Coping with the loss of a parent as a 16 y/o...AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PalindromeGirl
As the title says, I recently lost my mum. Talking about it does me good, and will help others too. I know there is already a sticky thread about bereavement but this is specifically for the loss of parents. Anyone else out there going through this hell? If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Here to support everyone xx

I'm so sorry for your loss. A very close friend of mine unfortunately lost her mum when we were in Year 9. I'm not currently experiencing this, but I think you're extremely brave for making this thread and offering help to others xx
Original post by claireestelle
There's no need to be sorry, it was over 11 years ago he died now, still get some days where I really miss him like birthdays and Christmases but trying to remember the good times does really help. Everybody remembers people differently but I find looking at old photos and listening to my dad favourite songs really helps:smile:

Awh bless you, yes that's a huge comfort for me too :smile: x

Original post by Student403
Deutsch :3 I couldn't stand French as it was just too hard for me :afraid:

Fair enough! Sounds like a good plan :smile:

Haha I hated German, thanks! :biggrin:

Original post by champ_mc99
I admire your strength and courage to even make this thread. Wow! My question is, (I know you are still coping yourself so if it is too insensitive don't answer) what advice or words of comfort would you give to someone who has just experienced this?

I'm remembering to just prioritise me, my dad and my little sister. she is my life now, and my goal is to help bring her up. she is what keeps me going and I love her unconditionally. she brings so much joy and laughter into my life, and she is a part of mum, so to have that by my side is beautiful. I would say to someone that YOU are the most important person. feel sad if you need to, cry if you want, but dont give up, because life gets better I promise
Original post by ravioliyears
I'm so sorry for your loss. A very close friend of mine unfortunately lost her mum when we were in Year 9. I'm not currently experiencing this, but I think you're extremely brave for making this thread and offering help to others xx

Thank you :smile: its the least I can do and it makes me feel good xx
I'm remembering to just prioritise me, my dad and my little sister. she is my life now, and my goal is to help bring her up. she is what keeps me going and I love her unconditionally. she brings so much joy and laughter into my life, and she is a part of mum, so to have that by my side is beautiful. I would say to someone that YOU are the most important person. feel sad if you need to, cry if you want, but dont give up, because life gets better I promise

That is brilliant advice :smile:
My condolences :smile:

What illness did she have before her death?
Reply 25
I am happy to hear that you are catching up with your studies and trying your best with getting on with your life. You were a strong girl and became even stronger due to this event. Your mother is in a better place now and she will forever be the best and most wonderful memory of your life. You are lucky that your mother was a very loving person :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I lost my mum at 15, I'm 17 now, though I can understand how you feel I never wanted to talk about to anyone, hard things are like the little things you miss

You and I are alike. We're both optimists. I like how after this you're still hopeful and grateful for your future.
So sorry for your loss, huge respect to you. In my year there are twins and they lost their mother the day before their english mocks and had other mocks that same week and they turned up and actually done amazing in them. It is amazing what you can achieve even at the toughest of times. I hope everything is okay for you and your family.x
Original post by claireestelle
That is brilliant advice :smile:

Thank you :3

Original post by GeologyMaths
My condolences :smile:

What illness did she have before her death?

Thank you :smile: she died of a sudden brain haemorrhage and stroke

Original post by In2u
I am happy to hear that you are catching up with your studies and trying your best with getting on with your life. You were a strong girl and became even stronger due to this event. Your mother is in a better place now and she will forever be the best and most wonderful memory of your life. You are lucky that your mother was a very loving person :smile:

Thank you for these lovely words <3 she was incredible, the light of my life

Original post by champ_mc99
You and I are alike. We're both optimists. I like how after this you're still hopeful and grateful for your future.

Its important! I know people who let sadness defeat them. I'm going to do her so proud as I become an adult, I'm determined

Original post by scottishgirl163
So sorry for your loss, huge respect to you. In my year there are twins and they lost their mother the day before their english mocks and had other mocks that same week and they turned up and actually done amazing in them. It is amazing what you can achieve even at the toughest of times. I hope everything is okay for you and your family.x

Oh bless them that is incredible! Indeed it is, thank you lovely, we're doing okay xx
Reply 30
Thank you lovely xx

That she was flipping awesome and I appreciated her more than anyone on this planet. she was my true best friend. but she knew that :3 xx

Best wishes and love to you! And I'm sorry for your loss, it is so sad :frown: Thank you, that's so nice to know xx

I've missed about a month of school in total but I'm still on track to get 3 As at AS level. Keeping busy is how I roll :smile: xx

The last thing she ever told me was that she loved me, and she held my hand as she did. I told her I loved her too. I loved how beautiful she looked and how strong she was. xx

my condolences to you and r.i.p to your mother. i dont want to be insensitve, but how did she pass away. was she ill, or was it a narurel onee. so sorry if it comes across insensitive. i love you adn i honestly dont want to be mean to you :smile:
<3
Original post by HS2030
my condolences to you and r.i.p to your mother. i dont want to be insensitve, but how did she pass away. was she ill, or was it a narurel onee. so sorry if it comes across insensitive. i love you adn i honestly dont want to be mean to you :smile:
<3

Its okay! :smile: she had a brain haemorrhage on NYD and then had hydrocephalus, which started the bleeding again. she had a stroke which killed her brain. she felt nothing. xx
Reply 32
Its okay! :smile: she had a brain haemorrhage on NYD and then had hydrocephalus, which started the bleeding again. she had a stroke which killed her brain. she felt nothing. xx

Dont give up u strong barave girl.....Keep on going and be the bedt.
Bless u :smile:
As the title says, I recently lost my mum. Talking about it does me good, and will help others too. I know there is already a sticky thread about bereavement but this is specifically for the loss of parents. Anyone else out there going through this hell? If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Here to support everyone xx

I've not got any questions but I lost my dad when I was 15 so I know what you're going through. You're in a shitty situation but it'll get better with time and the main thing's not to let it effect your education / work. Keep your head up and do your best to make your mum proud.
Original post by Anonymous
I lost my mum at 15, I'm 17 now, though I can understand how you feel I never wanted to talk about to anyone, hard things are like the little things you miss

Original post by Prince_fancybum
I've not got any questions but I lost my dad when I was 15 so I know what you're going through. You're in a shitty situation but it'll get better with time and the main thing's not to let it effect your education / work. Keep your head up and do your best to make your mum proud.

Thank you both <3 i'm trying my best and love and hugs to you two, its hard but life must go on xx
Thank you both <3 i'm trying my best and love and hugs to you two, its hard but life must go on xx

Honestly i don't know how you cope, ever since my mum died i've been on a downward spiral but i don't like to talk about it. It's nice to know you were with her when she died i wish i could have had that chance
I know someone who has been through this with the loss of other family members not spaced out too far.

It's quite moving that you're keeping your head up and I hope you carry on pushing through everything with the same strength.
Sister. Cae crash

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hideNfreak
Honestly i don't know how you cope, ever since my mum died i've been on a downward spiral but i don't like to talk about it. It's nice to know you were with her when she died i wish i could have had that chance

Bless you I'm so sorry but you're more than welcome to message me and we can talk about some coping strategies? I still have bad days and its only been 9 weeks. I had a panic attack the other day and passed out, but that's the worst its ever been. xx

Original post by UnknownRoyalist
I know someone who has been through this with the loss of other family members not spaced out too far.

It's quite moving that you're keeping your head up and I hope you carry on pushing through everything with the same strength.

Oh that's awful :frown: Thank you, I'm trying. I just know she would hate for me to give up.

Original post by Lukewivell
Sister. Cae crash

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really am sorry to hear about that, sending you hugs and I'm always just a message away if you need me xx
Bless you I'm so sorry but you're more than welcome to message me and we can talk about some coping strategies? I still have bad days and its only been 9 weeks. I had a panic attack the other day and passed out, but that's the worst its ever been. xx

x..
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending