The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ella_08
For raw marks maybe like 45/60

If an A* is 45 then Is okay to say 45 is 90 ums marks, how much marks do you think 95 and above ums marks will be??
Original post by ahmed3140
If an A* is 45 then Is okay to say 45 is 90 ums marks, how much marks do you think 95 and above ums marks will be??

UMS points after 90 isn't too hard to get and sometimes going over the raw mark grade boundaries by just 4-6 marks can give 100UMS. This is because there is a cap off point.
Original post by Ella_08
For raw marks maybe like 45/60

Oh no that's going to be hard to reach!!! If I perform well I a science paper I get around 46/47 but my worst score was 33 so I really don't want the boundary to be as high as 45!! :s-smilie:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
UMS points after 90 isn't too hard to get and sometimes going over the raw mark grade boundaries by just 4-6 marks can give 100UMS. This is because there is a cap off point.

yeah, you're right :u:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Oh no that's going to be hard to reach!!! If I perform well I a science paper I get around 46/47 but my worst score was 33 so I really don't want the boundary to be as high as 45!! :s-smilie:

It's not always. In 2013 it was 41/60. I'm estimating 33 would still be an A, maybe a high B... that was your worst though. Don't worry, just nail the 6 markers - it's amazing how much difference they make :wink:
Reply 85
Original post by BULL14
Can someone explain how genes are shuffled together randomly to make egg and sperm. Please. I really din;t understand it.

did you mean the process of fertilisation ? which will produce a zygote, have 46 chromosomes (23 from egg, 23 from sperm)
Original post by thannah
did you mean the process of fertilisation ? which will produce a zygote, have 46 chromosomes (23 from egg, 23 from sperm)

No, I think he means meiosis. But that isn't even in B123
Reply 87
Original post by ahmed3140
what do you think will be the grade boundaries for an A*??

grade boundaries always vary between 42-48 (in extreme cases) for an a*, but you can really know until after the exam as standard deviation is used when determining the boundaries

really hope its low af this year, im resiting from doing it last year
Could someone explain ADH please? It's my weakness
Original post by Starlight15

think of it as

LESS
MORE
MORE
LESS and MORE
LESS
LESS
MORE

If more water is consumed into the body, the body will send a message to the brain (proccessing centre) to coordinate a response. The pituitary gland therefore less AHD so the kidneys stop absorbing as much water. This means you will produce a large volume of dilute urine. The process of returning the water levels back to normal is done by negative feedback. If too little water is consumed, the brain (processing centre) co-ordinates a response to get it back to normal levels by negative feedback. The pituitary gland releases more ADH so the kidneys can reabsorb more water. This means less urine is released and is of high concentration.
Anyone got a prediction of what will come up
Original post by Ella_08
Sure, pm me ur email

can i also have the 2015 b1-b3 paper please.
Can someone please explain natural selection???
M- Mutation in DNA
V- causes variation within the species
A-can give an advantageous gene
s- therefore this organism SURVIVES as it beats the COMPETITION
R- so when they reproduce
O- their OFFSPRING has this advantageous gene too

can help them survive and therefore evolution occurs over years.
Original post by nitthushz
Can someone please explain natural selection???
Original post by Dave50
Hi
Does any of you have 2015 21st century science b1 b2 b3 papers

I did for practice in class, it had 6mq about :genetically identical/not genetically identical twins
Heart disease & heart stuff
Nitrogen cycle with a flow chart for description.
Original post by Stressedwbu1
What time are your guy's exam on tuesday?! I'm terrified!

I have French in the morning and b123 @ 13:30
Original post by Starlight15

ADH = anti pee hormone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by olivialois
M- Mutation in DNA

Oooooh this is good, thanks :smile:
Original post by olivialois
M- Mutation in DNA

Thank you
Ok so I've been revising B123 most of today and I'm a lot more confident about it now - I've still yet to look at B3 properly but I'll do that in the morning as luckily it's an afternoon exam!!
I've partially done 2 past papers (Jan and June 2012) and so far I have got 33/41 in Jan and 41/49 in June so I'm doing quite well! I'll finish them both off after learning B3 and possibly do the June 2014 paper in full if I have time.
I still need to go over controlling water content for B2 but other than that it's all B3 from here!

Also, did anyone who's done the June 2012 paper notice how it was really weird - there are 2 6 markers in B2 and none in B3??? If that happened tomorrow I'd be really happy (as I got 6 and 4) but I doubt it will.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending