The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Date of Exam: 17/05/2016

Bit early but I think the earlier the better! In this thread we can talk and share revision strategies and notes, to help everyone out in this exam!

Anyway, share predictions and questions and wish you all the best for these exams!
:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I'm doing OCR sciences too and I am so worried, but i was looking on the grade boundaries for the b1,b2 and b3 paper and you only need 50 out of 74 to get an A*:biggrin:
Is this for 21st Century or Gateway? (I do 21st Century)

This should be one of my easiest exams, and it's my 2nd one too :smile:
The only thing I'm worried about is B3, it was the first unit we covered and I payed no attention whatsoever and got a C in the end of unit test (didn't revise) and now none of it really makes sense, it always pulls my grade down :frown:
Any good resources for B3?
Original post by NiamhM1801

The only thing I'm worried about is B3, it was the first unit we covered and I payed no attention whatsoever and got a C in the end of unit test (didn't revise) and now none of it really makes sense, it always pulls my grade down :frown:

21st. The textbooks are excellent!
Original post by darce_pll
Hi there, I'm doing OCR sciences too and I am so worried, but i was looking on the grade boundaries for the b1,b2 and b3 paper and you only need 50 out of 74 to get an A*:biggrin:

This is for OCR 21st Century!:biggrin:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
21st. The textbooks are excellent!

Thanks, I have the cgp revision guides which I use quite a lot, but there's always something that comes up in the B123 exam that completely throws me off, and it's always B3
Thanks, I have the cgp revision guides which I use quite a lot, but there's always something that comes up in the B123 exam that completely throws me off, and it's always B3

What Aspects? Maybe I can explain :smile:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
What Aspects? Maybe I can explain :smile:

Usually evolution/natural selection and the carbon/nitrogen cycles
I guess I'll just have to learn them :sigh:
Original post by thomas-cowley
Predictions for the six makers:
B1 - Clones
B2 - Immunity
B3 - Evolution/ Speciation or Carbon Cycle

Are they your predictions? The b1 and 2 ones I'll be fine with but the b3 ones are both of the things I struggle with! :frown:
Original post by thomas-cowley
Yep, they're mine (and my teacher's) predictions based on what hasn't come up in a while. Let's hope those B3 ones don't come up then!

Ooh, they might come up then. Guess I'll have to really learn it so I can nail the 6 markers! :tongue:
Reply 10
The exam is on TUESDAY!!! Is everyone prepared?
I still need to revise some more B3 :frown:(
Original post by KaraNovv
The exam is on TUESDAY!!! Is everyone prepared?
I still need to revise some more B3 :frown:(

i've got to revise sustainability and selective breeding of b3 and that's it! hopefully it will be alright! any 6 marker predictions? my bet on b2 is homeostasis, b1 i think could be cystic fibrosis/huntingtons, and b3 natural selection (based off of last year's paper). then again, one of the 6 markers could be the silly 'interpret the graph/data' questions :/
(edited 7 years ago)

do you have any tips for analysing data because tht is my weakness!
for B3, try tes or getrevising.com
Hi all. Also studying this exam on Tuesday. Personally analysing data is also the worst form of 6 mark question,
My teacher has informed us to revise types of genetic testing (amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling) as she thinks there could be a question on that!! Good luck!
Last minute notes!
Reply 15
Original post by Annabisby
Hi all. Also studying this exam on Tuesday. Personally analysing data is also the worst form of 6 mark question,
My teacher has informed us to revise types of genetic testing (amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling) as she thinks there could be a question on that!! Good luck!

I agree, I also hate 6 markers with data involved. I always get confused and lose marks on stupid things. I want to repeat my mock 3x 6 out of 6 success this time and with a data question this may not happen lol.
For B1, I think genetic testing is quite likely to come up like you said, although I know that there was a question on it before, a couple of years ago possibly. For B2, I think the ADH hormone is quite likely to be a 6 mark as there is loads to talk about and I don't recall any 6 marks on it, although there was a 3 mark question where you had to put statements together. Otherwise, immunity would be awesome because I've revised lots of that.
For B3, my teacher said that there could be a Nitrogen cycle higher question as there was a foundation one last year or the carbon cycle. I hope no natural selection, I don't mind selective breeding though.
Today I'm going to focus on B3 and French because that's on Tuesday too (unfortunately :frown: )
Good luck everyone!!!
Original post by nima.geemon
do you have any tips for analysing data because tht is my weakness!
for B3, try tes or getrevising.com

No sorry I don't as unfortunately it's also my weakness!
And yeah I love Get Revising, I use it quite a lot :smile:
Useful notes I found- they cover the whole b1,b2,b3 spec!

Are you guys revising for the chemistry exam as well?
Have you got notes for any of the other topics and/or even Physics and Chemistry? That would be awesome, thanks :smile:
Have you got notes for any of the other topics and/or even Physics and Chemistry? That would be awesome, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest