The Student Room Group

University of Kent or UEA?

Hello guys and gals,

I am going to study Computer Science with a year in industry at both University of Kent and UEA. I have been to open days at both universities, but I am having difficulty as to choosing my firm and insurance choices.

I feel that University of Kent has better Academic support as they have student club which is where students who are experiencing difficulty receive help from other students (eg. First year receive help from second/third year) and since I am doing a year in industry. Kent has two dedicated officers to helping you find placements for your third year and are usually high profile companies (eg. CISCO,Intel IBM, HSBC etc). The graduate prospectus is also one of the best in the UK, which appeals to me.

The university itself is also very beautiful, lots of modern architecture and the facilities are modern as well, especially the accommodation which is the best out of all of the universities I have seen. As to social life, I literally have no idea about Canterbury besides the Cathedral, I understand that Canterbury is actually quite small and is mostly a student based city due to the other universities being close by.

As for UEA I feel that academically it is very strong. It has had several rewards for its research quality as well being in the top 10 universities for having the highest student satisfaction. Unfortunately there isn't much in terms of academic support like Kent with student club etc. The accommodation isn't also that great, however they are constructing a new block of flats which will be available when I join the university. (I have no idea what it looks like nor the prices). The university itself is a mixture between 60's architecture and modern architecture, in comparison to Kent it is MASSIVE, and is around 30 mins from Norwich (once again no idea with regards to social life)

In terms of ranking the two are incredibly close to each other. UEA is ranked 15 overall and Kent is ranked 22. With regards to Computer Science UEA is ranked 35 where as Kent is ranked 28.

So I was hoping that current students of UEA and Kent can give me some insight into their experiences or anyone really. The positives and the negatives of each of the university.
I'm afraid I have no experience with either university so I can't help much. You would probably get more replies if you posted this thread in in the Computer Science and IT forum. Also look in the University of Kent and University of East Anglia (UEA) forums. Use the search function too, it's likely this question has been asked before.
Reply 2
Which one did you go to? I am having yo choose between uea and kent for computer science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending