The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hehe, hope you don't mind me sharing your thread :smile:

Since I can buy notebooks taxfree in my country, i'll be getting it here. But I want to know what type to get. What are laptops used for in Cambridge? If it's going to be a permament resident in my room, then there's not point getting an ultraportable, is there? Or if there's a need to carry it around often, bringing a 10lb monster isn't going to help. I won't be getting a desktop coz I'll have to bring it back every summer....
Also, what brands are perceived as 'good'? And which models?

Thanks.
Reply 2
Buy one from Dell.
Reply 3
I hate laptops. I'm bringing my computer, too big to steal :wink:
Reply 4
do any colleges have wifi?
Reply 5
wifi? i doubt it at the moment.
How great is the need for a laptop at uni?
Reply 7
roxy potter

For a computer, I would definitely say yes (though people do live without them but it's annoying when you're trying to do an essay and the computer room is full). For a laptop specifically, no great need.
Reply 8
roxy potter

Useful for ease of transport.
shiny
Useful for ease of transport.

I dont think id survive without one but i was just wondering. i'll be 18 jst before uni starts so i'll plead with my parents for one for my birthday.
Reply 10
roxy potter
I dont think id survive without one but i was just wondering. i'll be 18 jst before uni starts so i'll plead with my parents for one for my birthday.

Just noticed that you are from Ireland. A laptop is probably very useful then :smile:
shiny
Just noticed that you are from Ireland. A laptop is probably very useful then :smile:

Judging by the way things are going im probably likely to be in ireland for my primary degree. i was thinking of law so i'll have to stay here if i want to practice here, hopefully i'll get to cambridge after that though as its something ive wanted to do for a long time.
Reply 12
jonas123
wifi? i doubt it at the moment.

can n e one confirm this?
Helenia
For a computer, I would definitely say yes (though people do live without them but it's annoying when you're trying to do an essay and the computer room is full). For a laptop specifically, no great need.

aren't laptops more useful than computers because you can take laptops to libraries etc.?
Reply 14
I suppose you *could*.
But *would* you? Unless during exam season... else I wouldn't see the pressing need to, since your room has internet access.

What are your opinions on the IBM Thinkpad R51 vs T41?
And on Dell and Toshiba? In general, their reliability, quality etc.
And which brands have service centres in Cambridge, for international warranty?
Reply 15
leda swanson
aren't laptops more useful than computers because you can take laptops to libraries etc.?

Personally it quite pisses me off when people are tapping away on their laptop in the library, but I'm sure some people don't mind. I don't write essays in the library anyway - my way of working is to get about 5 massive textbooks spread out around me, make pages of incomprehensible notes from them and then take them all back to my room, sort them out in my head and convert them into an essay. I prefer working on my own for the actual writing part, but different people work in different ways.

Keithy - I am not aware of any colleges with wifi, or any plans to get it :confused:
Reply 16
kk

Latest

Trending

Trending