The Student Room Group

Having a car at uni

Is there any point having a car if you are living at uni? Is a car allowed on the uni premises? I'll be going away to uni so if I were to get a car, I would use it to travel home. Also, are cars even affordable while you're studying at uni? I would obviously have a job alongside uni.
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Is there any point having a car if you are living at uni? Is a car allowed on the uni premises? I'll be going away to uni so if I were to get a car, I would use it to travel home. Also, are cars even affordable while you're studying at uni? I would obviously have a job alongside uni.

You'll need to budget for it and some unis say that first years aren't allowed cars. There isn't a tonne of parking usually at Halls and if you're using it to get home every now and then it probably isn't cost effective.

Lots o people got cars later in the course at my university, but we need one for placements.
Readng uni don't allow student parking on site, or within one mile.
Although never figured how that can be policed.
many unis are residents parking only in the surrounding areas.

you need to check specific uni policies.

they will drain student finances
Reply 3
Having a car at uni is a great way to make "friends" who need lifts to places you don't want to go to - but they will offer to pay for the fuel "at some point in the future".

Oh - and if you say "no" then you'll find your name is mud.....

Unless you *really* need a car at uni, definitely don't bother!
Depends on your uni if you can park on campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending