The Student Room Group

Any way to revive damaged hair?

I've been growing my hair for a while because I want long hair. But it is SO damaged right now due to colouring and straightening it too much. I have so many split ends. Before booking a hair cut - I don't really want to get it cut even though I know it will help - is there ANYTHING at all you guys have come across that revives/restores really damaged hair and makes it looking healthy?!

Please help!!
Reply 1
I'd say definitely go ahead with arranging an appointment with a hairdresser, but perhaps just have it trimmed instead?

In terms of restoring damaged hair, all I can think to suggest is probably the sort of stuff you're already aware of: maintain a healthy diet with all the right vitamins/minerals relevant to hair, drink plenty of water, avoid hair straighteners/hairdryers/curling tongs, use sensitive/gentle hair products etc.

I think I read somewhere that coconut oil is also supposed to be good for hair, as well? I'm not totally sure on that, though :unsure:
deep condition it
get it fricken cut
throw your straighteners away

it isnt rocket science
Reply 3
Learn to trim your hair yourself at home. If you gather small bunches of hair and twist them, you'll see that the shorter hairs stick out. These are the hairs that have broken off/become weak because a split end has formed. You'll be able to see most of the split ends when you twist your hair like this, so this is the best way to go through your hair and cut them off. Cut with sharp scissors at a straight angle or you risk damaging the ends again.

Also, use hair serum and oil regularly to keep your hair moisturised. Dry hair is more likely to be brittle and weak. Train your hair so that you can stretch washes too. If you keep your hair braided (french or dutch braids are the best for this), you'll see that your hair doesn't gather as much oil or dirt, and stays looking and smelling clean for a lot longer. Keeping your hair out or in ponytails all the time makes it easy to attract dirt, and that's why hair gets greasy quickly.

When you wash your hair, after shampooing, apply conditioner to the ends (from your ear down) and give it one quick rinse with cold water. The point of conditioner is not to wash it out completely (that's why you're never supposed to apply it to your roots).
Deep conditioning,avoid heat and Argan oil
Original post by aarora
I've been growing my hair for a while because I want long hair. But it is SO damaged right now due to colouring and straightening it too much. I have so many split ends. Before booking a hair cut - I don't really want to get it cut even though I know it will help - is there ANYTHING at all you guys have come across that revives/restores really damaged hair and makes it looking healthy?!

Please help!!

a wig
Reply 6
I would say cut your hair as short as you possible can and start fresh it worked for me
But if not, trim your hair and cut off with any heat possible
Try and look for natural shampoos and make sure you condition your hair
Try and do a weekly hair mask e.g. Oils, eggs etc.
Drink plenty of water as well
Reply 7
Yeah deep conditioning and hot oil. There are natural remedies you can research over the internet.
Reply 8
If you don't want a drastic cut then regular trims every 4 weeks would be enough. Load up on hair masks, Tresemme ones are good. They won't repair the damage but will help prevent any more and your hair will look and feel better. Also always use heat protection spray whenever you use heat products.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Definitely get it trimmed on a regular basis this helps your ends. Also using oils- I like coconut oil. Don't wash your hair too often, it'll dry it out and try to cut back on using heat tools- straighteners, curling irons, etc. and if you do use them, make sure you're using heat protection products like previous post suggested.
I used to dye my hair blonde and after a while I found that my hair got quite damaged. Here is a list of the things I used to do..

1. Every week I would pick a night whereby I would soak my hair in condition and then let it sit in my hair until just before I went to bed.
2. I stopped using heat on my hair, I locked away my straighteners and washed my hair earlier in the evening so that it would dry naturally in time for going to bed
3. I made sure I got enough vitamins through healthy eating and also I took a vitamin tablet too
4. I stopped washing my hair every night and switched to every second or third night.
5. I made sure I got my hair slightly trimmed every month

After a few months my hair was in much better condition than it had been before going blonde.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending