The Student Room Group

French as exam speaking

I have my french oral in 2 months. Just wondering if anyone has tips on how I can prepare well for my chosen topic and what topic is good to pick. Thank you.
What exam board are you...? I did AQA so can help with that but don't want to give you wrong advice if you do another one ahaha :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by eleanor27
What exam board are you...? I did AQA so can help with that but don't want to give you wrong advice if you do another one ahaha :smile:

Hi, I did AQA too! :smile:
Original post by Summerlight
Hi, I did AQA too! :smile:

When I was picking the topic to speak about I chose one from the section I was least confident speaking on as they can't ask you anything else about that section! So I chose marriage and did something along the lines of marriage now compared to say the more 'traditional' ways in like the 1950's. Thanks to this I couldn't be asked anything else from that section so no family, relationships etc! It's about figuring out your individual strengths and weaknesses :smile:
Reply 4
When I was picking the topic to speak about I chose one from the section I was least confident speaking on as they can't ask you anything else about that section! So I chose marriage and did something along the lines of marriage now compared to say the more 'traditional' ways in like the 1950's. Thanks to this I couldn't be asked anything else from that section so no family, relationships etc! It's about figuring out your individual strengths and weaknesses :smile:

That is so weird I have decided to do marriage/partnerships! That is my weakness too, how much did you write to prepare or did you just do it in notes?
Original post by Summerlight
That is so weird I have decided to do marriage/partnerships! That is my weakness too, how much did you write to prepare or did you just do it in notes?

Think I wrote like 4/5 extended bullet points covering different aspects?
Reply 6
Think I wrote like 4/5 extended bullet points covering different aspects?

okay thankyou
I have chosen to talk about cinema as my nominated topic, as I am quite confident with it, but I really dislike talking about music and fashion, so it means that I don't have to discuss those at all!
Reply 8
Original post by CatusStarbright
I have chosen to talk about cinema as my nominated topic, as I am quite confident with it, but I really dislike talking about music and fashion, so it means that I don't have to discuss those at all!

Yeah its good we can pick a topic and then not get asked on the other ones in that section! I am not great at talking about drugs/alcohol.
Does anybody know how to get a good grammar mark on these chosen topic questions? I included all of the tenses we had been taught (Present, Perfect, Imperfect, Future, Conditional, Subjunctive, Present Participle) and my speaking language assistant had marked all of the constructions as being correct beforehand. But when I did my Mock Oral I received 10/15 on the Grammar section.
I also got 4/10 for interaction, but I'm not sure what else to do. I make it personal (Moi? Je dirais que) to try and make it seem more friendly and question after a point (Est-ce que vouz pensez la même, non?) etc. I don't understand what's going on with it.
I'm getting like 90% and higher on all other aspects of the AQA As Paper so it's not dragging my grade down so much but I want a good, solid A this year and A* next year to study French Law. Have you guys got any ideas? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Millie Rose
Does anybody know how to get a good grammar mark on these chosen topic questions? I included all of the tenses we had been taught (Present, Perfect, Imperfect, Future, Conditional, Subjunctive, Present Participle) and my speaking language assistant had marked all of the constructions as being correct beforehand. But when I did my Mock Oral I received 10/15 on the Grammar section.
I also got 4/10 for interaction, but I'm not sure what else to do. I make it personal (Moi? Je dirais que) to try and make it seem more friendly and question after a point (Est-ce que vouz pensez la même, non?) etc. I don't understand what's going on with it.
I'm getting like 90% and higher on all other aspects of the AQA As Paper so it's not dragging my grade down so much but I want a good, solid A this year and A* next year to study French Law. Have you guys got any ideas? Thanks :smile:

I think grammatical structures plays a part in the grammar mark, for example are you using si clauses?
Original post by CatusStarbright
I think grammatical structures plays a part in the grammar mark, for example are you using si clauses?

Yes! I've used si clauses with imperfect/conditional and present/future
Original post by Millie Rose
Yes! I've used si clauses with imperfect/conditional and present/future

I would suggest asking your teacher how you can improve when you go back :smile:
we've also been taught si with pluperfect and conditional perfect

Quick Reply

Latest