The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial's reputation

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this.

I recently got an offer from Imperial college to study chemical engineering.
My intention is to study engineering and then either continue as an engineer, or end up in finance. For this I intend to do my further studies in the US.
So my main query is, exactly how well renowned is Imperial outside the UK? What are the job prospects, especially outside of the UK, and is it recognised as a top 10 university globally (by the people who matter at least).
Once again, thank you for whoever replies.

TL;DR:
Is Imperial reputation in the US of a top 10 uni?
Reply 1
Imperial is a very goo uni, i just went to a science fair today and they were involved. For chemical engineering, correct me if im wrong, but im sure they are one of the best in the UK. Im not sure about the US but i can definitely say its a really good uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply :smile:
Original post by Rtdsv
Imperial is a very goo uni, i just went to a science fair today and they were involved. For chemical engineering, correct me if im wrong, but im sure they are one of the best in the UK. Im not sure about the US but i can definitely say its a really good uni

While i am aware that it is an excellent institution (best in then UK for engineering in fact - yes even better than cambridge) it does not appear to have a similar name recognition outside the UK at least, and i am hoping that someone may shed some light on this :smile:
Reply 3
In US, Imperial won't be as 'known' or recognised as Oxbridge and LSE. Still a great uni though.
I was informed by numerous American users on this site that Imperial is rapidly growing in reputation in the US for engineering. Apparently they like Imperial Engineers
Original post by Foxab77
In US, Imperial won't be as 'known' or recognised as Oxbridge and LSE. Still a great uni though.

It will be known to and recognised by anybody that matters (e.g. potential employers, universities, etc.). It's not a household name like Oxford or Cambridge but, then, whether random people in suburbs know about it makes little difference to an Imperial graduate's career prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest