The Student Room Group

Biology AQA New spec AS-level specimen paper 7401/1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SANTR
Hi,

Was wondering whether you have the Unit 2 set of Chem papers?

Send me ur email
I don't understand this can someone pleaseeee help me. What is the process it's not making any sense
Reply 42
Where did you get the grade boundaries from? Have you based them on last year's?
Reply 43
Original post by chemo1234
I don't understand this can someone pleaseeee help me. What is the process it's not making any sense

What process?
Reply 44
Hey if anyone could send me the biology 2 set paper 2 that'd be great! Thank you
HI can you plese send me the set 2 of the aqa specimen paper plese I would really appreciate your kind regards
Original post by OneandOnly123
HELLO people, good luck for revision and for the exams, i am really bad at answering the application and analysis questions they are so difficult and hard to explain to get the full marks, can someone please help me or give me some tips on what to do , would really appreciate some help. also i hv the set 2 papers for the specimen which is not available to the public, so whoever wants it holler, safe out.

Please can some one inbox me the set 2 biology specimen papers please i really need it
I will be so grateful
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg

53 - A
45 - B
38 - C
30 - D
23 - E

(approx)

I assume that is marks out of 75, and not percentage, right?

I somehow managed to get 54/75 in Paper 1 (72%), and
53/75 (70%) in Paper 2.

I don't think I'll get that in the real exam though, I would like a B but would take a C minimum; for me, these AS exams don't count towards anything, and next year we re-sit AS and sit A2. Is everybody else's the same?
Reply 48
Has anyone got any advice for how to answer the application/comprehension questions on the new spec?
Reply 49
Original post by maggiedavies
I assume that is marks out of 75, and not percentage, right?

I somehow managed to get 54/75 in Paper 1 (72%), and
53/75 (70%) in Paper 2.

I don't think I'll get that in the real exam though, I would like a B but would take a C minimum; for me, these AS exams don't count towards anything, and next year we re-sit AS and sit A2. Is everybody else's the same?

yes marks outta 75... unfortunately

How do you score highly?! I keep getting like 45-50%, any advice on how to answer the applied questions?

Same these don't count towards anything but I still wanna get at least a B (that's looking doubtful) as it goes on my ucas
Original post by sgill23
yes marks outta 75... unfortunately

How do you score highly?! I keep getting like 45-50%, any advice on how to answer the applied questions?

Same these don't count towards anything but I still wanna get at least a B (that's looking doubtful) as it goes on my ucas

I was the same until now. My school tests us a lot and they allow us to keep the tests/assessments that we do once they have been marked and put onto the system. I was just going through them before, I had 5 Us, 2 Es, 1C and 5As.
The As are all recent. So as you can see I've worked my way up.

Of course, first thing is to revise and understand the material, which can be done in a number of ways - text books and teacher's notes are a start, to further your understanding would be to watch Youtube videos - I highly recommend ;Mr Pollock Biology' as they're easy to understand and very helpful; as well as revision guides, I like the CGP ones! You can also find pre-written notes and spider diagrams here on TSR, stick them on your wall and learn 'em!

Despite revising a few days before the tests, I was still getting U/E grades frequently as you can tell from above. I did pay for a few one-to-one sessions with an experienced tutor and noticed a real difference here, there's still time for you to do this if you have the time and money but it's not essential. Or perhaps save up (if you need to) and do it next year.

I knew the content/material but never knew how to apply it to the questions because I generally had no idea what they were asking me, and it sounds like this is were you're struggling too. You've probably heard this a thousand times over, but past papers are your friend! :biggrin:
I have a routine for this, as follows:
Revise the material and then do a past paper. Mark it using the mark scheme. See were you went wrong and remember it for next time. Revise again. Do the same past paper. Mark it using the mark scheme. Don't stop until you get at least 1 mark on every question. To be honest I'm not aiming for 100% perfection, at the end of the day I just want decent grades to go to a decent uni etc.

Do every past paper question. Before the exam, revise the answers. Familarise yourself with the type of questions, specifically the Specimen Papers released from AQA as they may ask similar questions just re-phrased in a different way. Learn how to answer specific questions and learn how to recognise keywords so you can apply all of the relevant knowledge.

It's difficult, but once you get your head around it, it's very enjoyable, trust me! There is still LOTS of time left, just stay focused, prepare well and go into the exam feeling confident, and leave feeling pleased.

Good luck to yourself and everybody else sitting exams! Hope this helped. x
Original post by anyab95
Has anyone got any advice for how to answer the application/comprehension questions on the new spec?

See my reply above to sgill23 regarding past paper routine.

Good luck!
Reply 52
Original post by maggiedavies
I was the same until now. My school tests us a lot and they allow us to keep the tests/assessments that we do once they have been marked and put onto the system. I was just going through them before, I had 5 Us, 2 Es, 1C and 5As.
The As are all recent. So as you can see I've worked my way up.

Of course, first thing is to revise and understand the material, which can be done in a number of ways - text books and teacher's notes are a start, to further your understanding would be to watch Youtube videos - I highly recommend ;Mr Pollock Biology' as they're easy to understand and very helpful; as well as revision guides, I like the CGP ones! You can also find pre-written notes and spider diagrams here on TSR, stick them on your wall and learn 'em!

Despite revising a few days before the tests, I was still getting U/E grades frequently as you can tell from above. I did pay for a few one-to-one sessions with an experienced tutor and noticed a real difference here, there's still time for you to do this if you have the time and money but it's not essential. Or perhaps save up (if you need to) and do it next year.

I knew the content/material but never knew how to apply it to the questions because I generally had no idea what they were asking me, and it sounds like this is were you're struggling too. You've probably heard this a thousand times over, but past papers are your friend! :biggrin:
I have a routine for this, as follows:
Revise the material and then do a past paper. Mark it using the mark scheme. See were you went wrong and remember it for next time. Revise again. Do the same past paper. Mark it using the mark scheme. Don't stop until you get at least 1 mark on every question. To be honest I'm not aiming for 100% perfection, at the end of the day I just want decent grades to go to a decent uni etc.

Do every past paper question. Before the exam, revise the answers. Familarise yourself with the type of questions, specifically the Specimen Papers released from AQA as they may ask similar questions just re-phrased in a different way. Learn how to answer specific questions and learn how to recognise keywords so you can apply all of the relevant knowledge.

It's difficult, but once you get your head around it, it's very enjoyable, trust me! There is still LOTS of time left, just stay focused, prepare well and go into the exam feeling confident, and leave feeling pleased.

Good luck to yourself and everybody else sitting exams! Hope this helped. x

THANK YOU!
For past paper questions as well as doing the specimen qus I'll do the old ones too. As our school has created like packs of all the old qus with mark scheme and examiners report. I think it will be useful.

Thank you so much again
I know my teachers said paper 2 was harder so the grade boundaries were a bit lower when we did them.. An a was 51 on paper 2 for us and an E was 32 (I don't know what the others were). I got an a on that in mid April, so my teacher suggested I did some of the old spec papers( paper 1 and 2 has very similar content to the AS) and that paper 2 mark is now a high c, hopefully it will be even higher by June!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have all the biology set 2 questions

Would you be able to send me them please?? By any chance, do you have the mark schemes??
Original post by Faizah Anjum
Would you be able to send me them please?? By any chance, do you have the mark schemes??

Yeah I do pm me ur email
Yeah I do pm me ur email

Can you send me them aswell too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Hello! Good luck with your exams too! I'm finding the application question really difficult too (so wouldn't mind any extra tips)! Can you send me the set 2 papers with the mark schemes please?
Thank you!!:smile:)
Reply 58
i have all the biology set 2 questions

Hello.
Good luck with your exams! Can you send me the biology set 2 papers with the mark schemes please? I'm desperate! Thank you!!:smile:
for those who want the chemistry set 2 aqa papers here are the links, saves me time from sending it to everyone individually.
chemistry paper 1 -http://www.scienceskool.co.uk/upload...v1.1_final.pdf
Paper 1 ms - http://www.scienceskool.co.uk/upload..._final__2_.pdf
Paper 2 - http://www.scienceskool.co.uk/upload..._final__1_.pdf
Paper 2 ms - http://www.scienceskool.co.uk/upload...v1.0_final.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending