The Student Room Group

I swear AS Maths compared to other AS subjects is easy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indeterminate
True :biggrin:

I think that might be more to do with career prospects, though :beard:

That's true :dontknow:

I'm not very good at all this world stuff xD
I did triple Maths and I found it all easy. But I failed to obtain 100UMS in C1 and S1, so I was really disappointed. If you are very good in Maths then the easy modules tend to be frustrating coz it's boring, and careless mistakes cost a lot and the exam atmosphere tends to be off-putting with all the non-maths guys just...
Original post by Sciatic
I did triple Maths and I found it all easy. But I failed to obtain 100UMS in C1 and S1, so I was really disappointed. If you are very good in Maths then the easy modules tend to be frustrating coz it's boring, and careless mistakes cost a lot and the exam atmosphere tends to be off-putting with all the non-maths guys just...

you do AFM? what modules did you do last year?
Reply 23
I'm useless at maths any advice on how to get started seeing as you're all so gifted?
Original post by N-R-G
I'm useless at maths any advice on how to get started seeing as you're all so gifted?

When you're answering past paper questions, make sure you understand exactly what the question is asking and make sure you understand what method to use to solve the problem and why the method works. if you don't understand the theory, you will flop in the real exam. if you want to improve your understanding, watch examsolutions, do questions in the textbook, then do challenging questions on websites like madasmaths.
Reply 25
Thanks Raees, Is that Sadam Hussein? :biggrin:
Try doing mechanics 1 AS maths🙈💔. Core 1 and 2 were a doddle in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths is genuinely the easiest subject to get an A* in. **** essays
I did AFM and already have completed my A Levels. Altogether did all 18 modules.
Original post by Indeterminate
It's certainly a bit too easy for my liking :yep:

We'll never catch up with the likes of China at this rate :redface:

We'll considering they have longer school hours I.e at school 7am-8am compulsory exercise then lessons are 8am-5pm Mon-Friday + "optional" Sunday school + Revision classes held on Saturday = Grinding 24/7.

They're most likely in bed by 11pm latest and have to be up by roughly by 6am.
Though, the education system there isn't suited/caters for all types of people as it does in UK. If you fail in China its :shot: If you fail in UK, you try again etc ...

Original post by Student403
To be fair though, look at all the Chinese (and other east Asian countries) flocking to the UK and US for higher education :dontknow:

Yeah, UK/US universities>all. :laugh:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
We'll considering they have longer school hours I.e at school 7am-8am compulsory exercise then lessons are 8am-5pm Mon-Friday + "optional" Sunday school + Revision classes held on Saturday = Grinding 24/7.

They're most likely in bed by 11pm latest and have to be up by roughly by 6am.
Though, the education system there isn't suited/caters for all types of people as it does in UK. If you fail in China its :shot: If you fail in UK, you try again etc ...

Yeah, UK/US universities>all. :laugh:

Agreed although you do get some great ones like NUS, Ecole Polytechnique, ETH Zurich etc
Original post by Student403
Agreed although you do get some great ones like NUS, Ecole Polytechnique, ETH Zurich etc

Yeah, that's a great university aswell.
AS maths was piss (90+ UMS in c1 and m1 though c2 was a bitch last year and I got a b in that). Differentiation in a nutshell at A2: differentiate x^2+xy+2y+y^2=3 and find the stationary points.
Yeah. Lol at all the people who told me further maths was the hardest subject i'd take. Chemistry is where the grind is at.
I suppose I did find AS maths easier than my other AS subjects but not massively so. They had their unique challenges but most were roughly around the same level of difficulty, I thought.
Meanwhile I'm sat here wondering how I survived GCSE maths lol
Original post by Vikingninja
AS maths was piss (90+ UMS in c1 and m1 though c2 was a bitch last year and I got a b in that). Differentiation in a nutshell at A2: differentiate x^2+xy+2y+y^2=3 and find the stationary points.

What was the problem with C2? :erm:
Original post by ellie0497
Meanwhile I'm sat here wondering how I survived GCSE maths lol

People find different things easy. I personally didn't do well at PE. Besides, much of it is down to good teaching. My maths improved a lot after I started watching youtube teachers.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
People find different things easy. I personally didn't do well at PE. Besides, much of it is down to good teaching. My maths improved a lot after I started watching youtube teachers.

My maths improved after watching youtube teachers too, my teacher was pretty useless. I done pretty average at the end with a B grade coming from an D/E on my mock so a good improvement. :lol::lol:
Original post by ellie0497
My maths improved after watching youtube teachers too, my teacher was pretty useless. I done pretty average at the end with a B grade coming from an D/E on my mock so a good improvement. :lol::lol:

That's very impressive :biggrin:. Well done :party:.

Quick Reply

Latest