The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Study Abroad

I am a student from Australia, who will be going on exchange for six months to the University of Sheffield. I will be starting in September of this year and so I am hoping for any advice I can get on this university. Whether it be which accommodation to chose, what clothing to bring with me, the easiest way to make friends, and just any advice I can get. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Ausxchanger
I am a student from Australia, who will be going on exchange for six months to the University of Sheffield. I will be starting in September of this year and so I am hoping for any advice I can get on this university. Whether it be which accommodation to chose, what clothing to bring with me, the easiest way to make friends, and just any advice I can get. Thank you!

It's a very friendly university spread out across the city. The furthest student accommodation is Ranmoor, which is nice and quiet but quite far from the main area. Endcliffe is larger and closer to the center of the university but can get very rowdy. The weather tends to be quite cold, in September - October it might be about 22 Celcius but usually it's lower, and winter can be very bitter. It hasn't snowed the past 2 years but it's been very icy.

Just join clubs and societies, take part in the Students Union, and you'll have a good time, it's very relaxed and friendly here. What department will you be in?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I'd say try and find another semester abroad student to pair up with and get a private room together, e.g. you take the first 6 months, they take the next 6 months. University accommodation is very expensive for semester abroad students and not really worth it.

Original post by Mieka
It hasn't snowed the past 2 years but it's been very icy.

Yes it has, it snowed pretty heavily last year, the uni was covered for about 3 days. and while not so heavy this year it did happen a couple of times.
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say try and find another semester abroad student to pair up with and get a private room together, e.g. you take the first 6 months, they take the next 6 months. University accommodation is very expensive for semester abroad students and not really worth it.

Yes it has, it snowed pretty heavily last year, the uni was covered for about 3 days. and while not so heavy this year it did happen a couple of times.

I wasn't there this year, last year I just remember it being ridiculously icy and the year before that there was nothing. The year before that though, so 2012, there was a huge blizzard and I couldn't make it in for a whole week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending