The Student Room Group

Quotes!!!

This is for OCR (?) board, well whatever board in English Lit, and the two exams on Friday. The focus texts I'm doing are The Tempest, The Franklins Tale and Heart of Darkness, so yeah, and this thread is for putting a couple of quotes and quick summary of connected themes and meanings, so I'll start:

The Tempest: Act 1, Scene 2
Caliban: You taught me language, and my profit on’t
Is I know how to curse.

This is a quotation related to Calibans distaste for Prospero's prevention of him carrying out his carnal desires (the attempted rape of Miranda). This links to themes of Colonialism, with Caliban being the original inhabitant of the island, and Prospero being the invading colonialist. Also it links to the theme of power, "my profit on't". Caliban uses the power given to him through language to belittle Prospero and Miranda, and shows no fear of the greater power Prospero has through his magic. Also linked to the theme of power is the theme of rebellion, with Caliban defying his master. This also shows Caliban to be a very weak character, and this is reinforced by his contact with Stephano and Trinculo. "Wilt thou let him, my lord." At this poit Caliban has already found a new master, and this proves his weakness in needing a person to control him.

After analysing this segment of quotation, it's then easy to go on to link it to Calibans poetic language in comparison with Stephano and Trinculo's rough pro's (Act 3, Scene 2), even though Calibans nature and upbringing are a lot rougher and native than these courtiers.

So yeah, if anyone wants to comment, pick things I've missed or like said wrong please do, and also add all of ur own, not just about Tempest, cos I'm worried about wot marks I'm going to get :frown: :0

Josh ...

Latest