The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kastro9
Actually there is one so-called 'easy' route to medicine that i have heard of, my cousin did this.

He got 3 A's and an A* at Gcse, the rest was B's.
Then got like CBB at A-level and obviously had no chance studying here.

So he went to the Ukraine and did medicine there. (its taught in english)

http://www.lsmu.com/

Then he came back here and all he had to do was take 2 tests.

The test is in two parts:

1. Part 1 tests your knowledge on clinical management and includes science as applied to clinical problems.

2. Part 2 tests your clinical and communication skills.

And after that i think he was a fully registered doctor with GMC.

Well now he works at a hospital in essex and he seems to be like
any other doctor to me.

that test is called the PLAB and if you knew anything about it the words "all he had to do" wouldn't come into it.....
Reply 61
bright star
that test is called the PLAB and if you knew anything about it the words "all he had to do" wouldn't come into it.....

Well i dont know much about it because i dont intend on ever doing it, i was just posting what my cousin did.

Personally for myself, i still got a year of a-levels and i intend to study medicine the normal way through a good university, hopefuly in the uk.
Reply 62
If someone's mentioned this earlier on then forgive me for saying it again but...

The 5 new medical schools in the UK (Keele, HYMS, BSMS, UEA and PMS) have some of the highest application rates in the country - so probably aren't necessarily the easiest to get into by any means.

Since there is no real quantitative measure of "easiness" (although how cool would that be), using application figures aren't really a great indicator. Cambridge may only have 5 applicants per place compared to BSMS' 25 per place; but that probably has a lot to do with only the top end of students have the balls to put Cambridge down as a choice on their UCAS form.

I bet someone's already said all this earlier on.
Reply 63
Renal
It is if your shut yourself away from life to get those GCSEs instead of doing something useful - you know who they are, there are far too ****ing many of them.

I never said GCSE grades were the be all and end all. I should have stressed that you not be an excellent academic and non-academic individual in equal measure.

If you have 10A* and AAA at A-Level but did jack all then you probably won't even get called to an interview. If you had 10 As and Bs at GCSE, predicted AAA at A-Level, played for the rugby team at school, did voluntary work at a local hospice and saved a village in Namibia from a rampagin lion, then you've got a better chance of being called to interview than the bookworm.
Reply 64
Jamie
There is a key word i seem to have missed here.
Interview

I saved that for you and your primark shades. :cool:
Reply 65
Talya
If you are looking for easy then maybe medicine isn't for you...?

I'd go so far as to say that if he's looking for "most easiest" then Medicine probably isn't for him.
Reply 66
Jamie
defensive... lol

It'll be you who needs to be on the defence when my fist comes perilously close to your nose. Best remove the shades before then to reduce the damage. :wink:
Reply 67
Elles
No.

Oxford 'matriculation requirements' and information about GCSE subjects specifically needed for medicine.
Cambridge matriculation requirements and link to page about GCSE subjects specifically needed for medicine.

Did you just make that up or did someone misinform you? :s-smilie:

From the Cambridge website:

"GCSE requirement
Passes at grades A, B or C in: Double Award Science and Mathematics
Note: Two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science."

Taken from the Guidance for applicants document http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/publications/medicine.doc :

"GCSE results: The majority of our successful applicants have normally achieved A* grades in all science subjects taken, and if you have lower grades some explanation in the reference would be appreciated. Successful applicants have normally obtained a good number of A* grades unless they attended a school where starred A grades were not normally achieved. Grade C or below in any academic subject would be a cause for unease unless there were unusual circumstances".

From the Oxford website:

"Pre-clinical study: Admissions Statistics 2005 (2006 entry)
In 2005 we received 1067 applications (7 applications/place).

17% of applications were 'Open Applications'.

52% of applicants were female.

38% percent of UK applicants were from Independent schools.

The average (median) applicant had 70% of their GCSEs at A*".

So you see although a certain number of A* may not be asked for by either medical school, the reality is that the majority of applicants will hold such grades. Fair enough, rarely there will be an exception to the rules but 9 times out of 10 there are valid and compelling reasons to explain such a case.
Reply 68
Am I missing the part where you've quoted them above as saying you need 10 A*- C grades minimum?

British Bulldog

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8766583&postcount=57
Oxford and Cambridge ask for 10 A*-C passes at GCSE as their mininmum requirements...

That I quoted - is an outright lie.

Not everyone can even do 10 GCSEs at their schools and there are reasons why other successful applicants might not have. Please refrain from making stuff up.
Reply 69
Well i know the 4 easiest in terms of applications to places.

Cambridge, Oxford, UCL and Imperial

Its something to do with some exam you have to take.

Keele is much more competitive in terms of people for each place, but someone from my school got in with one star! Incredible! So, again, you never know.

I have heard that Oxford is harder than Cambridge, but its mostly people who got rejected from Oxford or who already go there, so I don't know. Cambridge for science can never be bad I spose.

My Point: You can't define 'easy' for medical schools, sadly.
Reply 70
Why is this thread still alive?
Renal
It is if your shut yourself away from life to get those GCSEs instead of doing something useful - you know who they are, there are far too ****ing many of them.

That's such a gross generalization. No-one I know who got a high percentage of A*s "shut themselves away" more than those who got lower grades.
Reply 72
They're talking about the number of stars one must attain to get into Cambridge or something of that ilk.
It always goes back to the stars.
Reply 73
Because the most important thing to ask your doctor is "Did you get an A* in GCSE French"? I've always found this grade obsession depressing, it sucks all the passion out of knowledge for its own sake and doing the job because it is inherently worth doing. Nothing makes me despair more at students than hearing "Is this going to be in the exam?" or complaining about teaching things aren't going to be directly examined (Can you not spare five minutes of your lecture time for an interesting anecdote? Is your time that bloody precious?).
^^^^ True. Give me a random anecdote anyday :biggrin:
becca2389
That's such a gross generalization. No-one I know who got a high percentage of A*s "shut themselves away" more than those who got lower grades.

Isn't this also a generalisation hun :p:. The people I know who got a high percentage of A*s were the types who always worked all the time, and never willing to have fun and go out etc. I know you did/do have fun, but a lot don't.
Reply 76
Elles
Am I missing the part where you've quoted them above as saying you need 10 A*- C grades minimum?

That I quoted - is an outright lie.

Not everyone can even do 10 GCSEs at their schools and there are reasons why other successful applicants might not have. Please refrain from making stuff up.

No I didn't make up anything. The fact is that the majority of applicants to these medical schools will have excelelnt GCSEs so having a set of "sub-standard" grades would no doubt be a disadvantage unless you had genuine reasons.

Don't get your panties in a twist.
Reply 77
Dear Lord, what is with all the tempers in here these days?! Exam stress is that bad?!:eek:
hah i was just thinking that. it's like, i swear people never used to get so defensive so quickly. i'm glad it's not jus me that thinks this. thought i was going a bit mad.
Reply 79
No I just don't like being called a liar. Sure my claim of 10 A*-C may have been slightly inaccurate but it wasn't far out and the point I've been trying to make all along is that in any case, if you only just scraped passes in your GCSEs, you were unlikely to be successful in getting a place at OXbridge unless you made a drastic improvement at A-Level AND had valid reasons to explain a poor performance at GCSE.

Latest

Trending

Trending