The Student Room Group

Dilemma - Please Read & Advise

Hey,

I'm starting college in September and am torn between taking the Law route or becoming a Pharamcist. As you know, I have to make my mind up pretty quickly as the subjects required for AS/A2 level will be completley different for Law and Pharmacy

The Main issue is, that at school I was pretty made up about my future career in Law and didn't bother with 'Co-Ordinated Double Science' Which is doing Chemistry, Physics, and Biology all as SEPERATE subjects, and decided to do normal 'Double Applied' on the up side I've got two A's in it.

The ultimate question is, will I be able to do AS/A2 Chemistry, Biology and Physics considering which Science I did or would I just be completley lost and won't know whats going on. Or do they normaly recap at the beginning of the year?

Please help and advise (Pharmacy is somthing I definatley want to do but I am abit phased about not choosing the correct science at GCSE)

Also, I am not the best in Maths, and have only been predicted a C in GCSE, will this effect me to a large extent, and will it effect me greatly in the long run, such as Pharmacy at uni? Will it effect me Chemistry only or also Biology and Physics?

edit: Also, what is the starting off Salary, and the more experienced salary (say 5 years)

Thanks In Advance
Reply 1
I did double science at GCSE, got A* in it and found the start of Biology & Chem really simple, it was just the basics of what we had already learnt at GCSE so that won't be a problem.
Reply 2
*Sparkle*
I did double science at GCSE, got A* in it and found the start of Biology & Chem really simple, it was just the basics of what we had already learnt at GCSE so that won't be a problem.

So, ultimatley your pretty much in the same boat as there rest of class? and that double GCSE is not going to stop be achieving a A/B grade, as by the mid of the AS year GCSE stuff will not be relevant anymore?
Reply 3
Looking at the 'University of Leicester' website, they they require 'AAB' to enter there Pharmacy course, I then looked at the Medicine course which requires exactly the same grades in the same subjects AAB.

Why is this, I though Medicine would be much harder to get into?
Leicester have started doing pharmacy now? Or do you mean De Montford?

You'll be fine with A Level chem and bio ... I did standard double award science at GCSE ... so did everyone in my classes.

The only thing that might be of concern is that some of the higher up schools will ask for a B in maths GCSE if not offered at AS/A Level.
Reply 5
Yeah my school didn't even offer the chance to do GCSE science as 3 separate subjects. Double award is fine and you shouldn't struggle any more than a candidate who took the 3 separate grades route :smile: Typical offer for pharmacy is more often BBB/ABB is most schools.
Reply 6
ASP91
So, ultimatley your pretty much in the same boat as there rest of class? and that double GCSE is not going to stop be achieving a A/B grade, as by the mid of the AS year GCSE stuff will not be relevant anymore?

Well yeh, I'm sure someone who did seperate sceinces probably would have an upperhand, but that's the same with any subject. Only doing double science wouldn't hinder you at all.
IMO I don't think it would be a problem - I would say there's more maths in physics though?

Starting salaries may be different in 6 years time when you plan to graduate but currently pre-regs for 2007-08 will be earning around £18-20K and a newly qualified pharmacist in hospital £22-30K, in community £32-40K. With experience in hospital perhaps £35K upwards, and community £40-50K and more depending on work volumes and responsibility.
Around half of the people in my Biology class took seperate sciences at GCSE and the other half took double science. In BI1 everyone in the class got near to or the same grade so I don't think it really made a difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending