The Student Room Group

Internship advice needed

I'm having a bit of an internship dilemma and was hoping the lovely people of the student room could offer some advice.

Heres my situation; I am a second year science student who did a science-related internship last summer, but I'm not really sure if that is what I want to do after uni, so this year I decided to apply for internships in different proffesions.
I have an internship offer from Deloitte, who need to know my decision by Monday.
I also have an assesment centre for a legal vacation scheme next week and if I were to be offered a place (unlikely I know, but hey, a girl can dream) the dates do not clash with Deloitte so I would be able to do both.
I had also applied to RBS, but hadn't heard from them for 3 weeks so assumed I hadn't been sucessful, but then yesterday they invited to an assesment day. This internship would take up my whole summer and would mean I would have to reject Deloitte, and also the law firm if I got it.

Initially I thought I would withdraw my RBS application (and let someone else have my place at the assesment day) and accept Deloitte; best case scenario being that I also get the legal vac scheme and will get an insight into two non-science related professions, worse case scenario being I have Deloitte and will use the two weeks of the vac scheme to go travelling.

However, now I'm having second thoughts becasue I know many people put IB placements as their first choice over big four, so would I be silly to reject the opportunity of an IB internship? On the other hand would I be foolish to reject my Deloitte offer in favour of just the possibility of an offer from RBS?
Also, if I withdraw my RBS application, is this likely to burn bridges with RBS and reduce my chances of getting graduate job with them (or any IB for that metter) if I decide I would like to persue a career in IB afterall?
Reply 1
Original post by _=P_
I'm having a bit of an internship dilemma and was hoping the lovely people of the student room could offer some advice.Heres my situation; I am a second year science student who did a science-related internship last summer, but I'm not really sure if that is what I want to do after uni, so this year I decided to apply for internships in different proffesions.I have an internship offer from Deloitte, who need to know my decision by Monday.I also have an assesment centre for a legal vacation scheme next week and if I were to be offered a place (unlikely I know, but hey, a girl can dream) the dates do not clash with Deloitte so I would be able to do both.I had also applied to RBS, but hadn't heard from them for 3 weeks so assumed I hadn't been sucessful, but then yesterday they invited to an assesment day. This internship would take up my whole summer and would mean I would have to reject Deloitte, and also the law firm if I got it.Initially I thought I would withdraw my RBS application (and let someone else have my place at the assesment day) and accept Deloitte; best case scenario being that I also get the legal vac scheme and will get an insight into two non-science related professions, worse case scenario being I have Deloitte and will use the two weeks of the vac scheme to go travelling.However, now I'm having second thoughts becasue I know many people put IB placements as their first choice over big four, so would I be silly to reject the opportunity of an IB internship? On the other hand would I be foolish to reject my Deloitte offer in favour of just the possibility of an offer from RBS?Also, if I withdraw my RBS application, is this likely to burn bridges with RBS and reduce my chances of getting graduate job with them (or any IB for that metter) if I decide I would like to persue a career in IB afterall?

Can't you accept Deloitte and ,if you later get accepted for the rbs internship, cancel the Deloitte one and just do rbs? If you don't get into rbs, you would still have the Deloitte internship as you wouldn't have rejected it yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending