The Student Room Group

My job makes my mental health so much worse- help please?

I'm making this anonymous as I don't want to be identified by anyone I work with and my username is pretty revealing.

Basically, I hate my job. I dread it from Friday evening, even though I only work Sunday. The place I work is behind time and overpriced and aside from morning papers, I rarely sell much gone eleven. Hence I spend my Sunday's standing behind a till, literally doing nothing. This is hard for me, as I'm a busy, sociable person. I need to be doing something, I need to actually be doing WORK.

On top of this, the pay is only just above the minimum wage. There's no room for progression or training. The other staff are just as bitter and jaded as I am. I don't feel valued or cared about.

But this isn't why I want to quit: I want to quit because due to personal reasons, I'm only just managing my A Levels. I'm a perfectionist, which is a good and also very bad thing. The stress of dreading work makes me unhappier, destroys my weekends when I'm only just managing anyway.

Mentally, my health is in tatters. Has been for a while. When I didnt work, it was still pretty bad but I could manage my A Levels. With work I can't.

I feel like handing in my notice and never going back
Then don't work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
this might make me sound rude and uncaring but jesus its only one day and week and you get paid to sit and do nothing and its making you depressed and has your health in tatters? sounds like a pretty sweet deal you've got going there. you can easily fit a one day a week job around studying for a levels
If you don't mind me asking, when you say mental health, what exactly do you mean? Do you have a diagnosed illness like depression and work is making it worse? Or is work just making you feel crappy? If you think you are depressed, it might be an idea to go and see your GP. Also is that all you do, go to school and work? Maybe try and do other stuff as well, so that you have things to look forward to, instead of just having those two things in your life that are stressful/that you hate.If you are sitting behind the till doing nothing, can you maybe take some revision notes in with you, that way at least you can be doing something productive?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
this might make me sound rude and uncaring but jesus its only one day and week and you get paid to sit and do nothing and its making you depressed and has your health in tatters? sounds like a pretty sweet deal you've got going there. you can easily fit a one day a week job around studying for a levels

Nah, it isn't the job that has destroyed my health mentally. I have a history of crappy mental health, irregardless of the job.
Reply 5
Original post by trolley-dolly
If you don't mind me asking, when you say mental health, what exactly do you mean? Do you have a diagnosed illness like depression and work is making it worse? Or is work just making you feel crappy? If you think you are depressed, it might be an idea to go and see your GP. Also is that all you do, go to school and work? Maybe try and do other stuff as well, so that you have things to look forward to, instead of just having those two things in your life that are stressful/that you hate.If you are sitting behind the till doing nothing, can you maybe take some revision notes in with you, that way at least you can be doing something productive?

Mental health illness that has nothing to do with the job.
Original post by Anonymous
Mental health illness that has nothing to do with the job.

Still unclear if you have an actual diagnosed illness as in depression (which of course you don't need to disclose). Or if you think you have an illness but haven't been to seek medical support/diagnosis. Without knowing more about it, not much I can suggest to be honest. All I can say is if it's making you unhappy then leave, take a break and concentrate on your studies. If you need assistance then is there a guidance teacher you can speak to? Or your GP?

Quick Reply

Latest