The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Really loving the superpowers synoptic but we haven't been taught it at my school (we only ever learn 4 of the 6 topics). Does anyone have any ideas for case studies because all I've got that's even vaguely relevant is from development.......

I'm doing tectonics/hazards for Unit 4 but we only started learning it two weeks ago, hopefully landforms won't be too much hassle :biggrin:
Reply 41
Oh that's good then I didn't think about it like that! Hate the hazards question too the other questions seem much nicer dam it is anyone resisting unit 1 As?
Has everyone seen this revision source?
http://www.percocohs.com/20%20-Geography-Contested-Planet-Revision-Guide.pdf
Honestly I swear by it - for everyone worrying about superpowers it's concise and pretty damn good.
Reply 43
thats exactly the revision guide i use alongisde the textbook at these two power points http://www.slideshare.net/jodiecmills/superpowergeographies
https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-cards/geography_a2_contested_planet_superpowers

hope that helps anyone who hasnt yet learnt the topic
Original post by thelizzister
I was having a look at the June 2012 paper for unit 4 food (suggest you guys at least take a look at the examiners report and mark scheme) and again it's pretty similar to this years hints, aside from it being about rural and urban areas.

Just wanted to ask, do you plan to structure the report by case study or causes?

In terms of ideas this is all I got so far:colondollar::
To what extent do political/ socio-economic/ environmental factors lead to inequalities in food supply?
Or
To what scale does political/ socio-economic/ environmental factors lead to inequalities in food supply?

(pretty much the same thing)

June 2012 doesn't apply to us as the question asks for characteristics, whilst ours is on inequalities. They are different topics under the specification.

June 2010, is a paper on inequalities also and its similar to ours. :smile:

By structuring the report im guessing you mean sub-heading for the analysis? I heard its not very good if you use the case study as sub-headings.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys i need some help!
So I'm studying food on the margins for unit 4 and have no idea how to write the methodology and research bit or the conclusions and evaluation! please help!!!
Reply 46
For the June 2010 paper, the examiners report said that more sophisticated answers used "few select
‘multi -purpose’ case studies" to separate their analysis while others separated it into physical and human. Does this not mean that we should too use case studies as sub-headings?
Original post by Ani25
For the June 2010 paper, the examiners report said that more sophisticated answers used "few select
‘multi -purpose’ case studies" to separate their analysis while others separated it into physical and human. Does this not mean that we should too use case studies as sub-headings?

Im not sure, as that question was very specific they may have divided the analysis into two big sections, human and physical with probably 2 case studies under each??
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by strawberry11
Hey guys i need some help!
So I'm studying food on the margins for unit 4 and have no idea how to write the methodology and research bit or the conclusions and evaluation! please help!!!

Methodology is just what sources you used and you have to evaluate them, pros and cons of the source. E.g. for a textbook it may be very informative but outdated, but ofcourse you want to include more points but not too many.

Conclusion I think is just the whole report summarized? And you must not include any new points in your conclusion from what i've heard but then again I may be wrong as this unit is pretty difficult.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
I'm doing Cultural diversity for Unit 4, if anyone has any research suggestions please give me some recommendations! :tongue:
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
Has everyone seen this revision source?
http://www.percocohs.com/20%20-Geography-Contested-Planet-Revision-Guide.pdf
Honestly I swear by it - for everyone worrying about superpowers it's concise and pretty damn good.

This is perfect, thank you!

Original post by meg16
Oh that's good then I didn't think about it like that! Hate the hazards question too the other questions seem much nicer dam it is anyone resisting unit 1 As?

I'm resitting unit 1, how's the revision going? I meant to start ages ago but A2 work has meant I haven't started at all:frown: And thanks for the slideshare link!

My teacher showed us the examiners report from last year, if anyone's interested, and it said (life on margins) for that report it was better for candidates to do case study by case study sub headings rather than concept by concept, I think I'll probably go for case studies.
Reply 51
Original post by freefood
This is perfect, thank you!

I'm resitting unit 1, how's the revision going? I meant to start ages ago but A2 work has meant I haven't started at all:frown: And thanks for the slideshare link!

My teacher showed us the examiners report from last year, if anyone's interested, and it said (life on margins) for that report it was better for candidates to do case study by case study sub headings rather than concept by concept, I think I'll probably go for case studies.

No problem ! And I haven't actually started revision yet for my resist or massively for a2 geography there's so much content! But I know I need to focus on the human side of the world at risk topic but find the weather stuff so much more interesting
Reply 52
Anyone doing Tectonics in Unit 4? and HATING it?? :frown: Have your teachers given you any information or notes? I have NO IDEA how to answer a question on landscapes...

Also, any news on Unit 3 Section B? I am basically working alone (teacher is no help at all) and have no idea how to break down the pre-release on superpowers..any insight?

Thankssss
Reply 53
yes our teachers have been very helpful. you need to start with .the definition for landscapes which is is all visible features of an area of land.b you then break it down into how volcanic processes form different landscapes and how seismic processes affect different landscapes.
so firstly volcanoes. that includes the different types of volcanoes e:g composite ,shield ,fissure,intra-continental vocanism, hotspots like Yellowstone and Hawaii .. you could then go on to write about intrusive land forms so batholiths sills. yo need an example for each.
For seismic processes you need to include different faults so id include two strike/slip so you can use San Andrea's fault for that and a reverse fault you can use the Appalachians as a example for that.you'd then go onto fold mountains so Nepal or another example if you have it.
My teacher has also told me to include human landscapes so you could include how the 1995 Kobe earthquake. before the quake the majority of houses were traditionally built so a heavy slanted roof supported by four wooden supports at each corner. its perfect for the frequent typhoons and monsoon rains however they are structurally weak during the quake as a result pancake collapsing occurred. this has resulted in housing now being much more modern including earthquake resistant tech
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by TD98
yes our teachers have been very helpful. you need to start with .the definition for landscapes which is is all visible features of an area of land.b you then break it down into how volcanic processes form different landscapes and how seismic processes affect different landscapes.
so firstly volcanoes. that includes the different types of volcanoes e:g composite ,shield ,fissure,intra-continental vocanism, hotspots like Yellowstone and Hawaii .. you could then go on to write about intrusive land forms so batholiths sills. yo need an example for each.
For seismic processes you need to include different faults so id include two strike/slip so you can use San Andrea's fault for that and a reverse fault you can use the Appalachians as a example for that.you'd then go onto fold mountains so Nepal or another example if you have it.
My teacher has also told me to include human landscapes so you could include how the 1995 Kobe earthquake. before the quake the majority of houses were traditionally built so a heavy slanted roof supported by four wooden supports at each corner. its perfect for the frequent typhoons and monsoon rains however they are structurally weak during the quake as a result pancake collapsing occurred. this has resulted in housing now being much more modern including earthquake resistant tech

Dear TD98 I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!really you are my saviour!my teacher has given us nothing...not even examples!has he given you any helpful notes on HOW to write it besides what to put in?or an example essay? Ive been searching for ome online but nothing yet..

Also do you by any chance have anything helpful for Unit 3?we've only read it and nothing else... :frown:
Reply 55
For those doing food for unit 4, what are the best case studies to learn for both famine and food surpluses? Also the best factors to talk about for political, socio-economic and environmental?
Original post by TD98

Why do you have to include human aspects? and how would this fit in with the structure?
Reply 57
Original post by s1h2a3n4
Why do you have to include human aspects? and how would this fit in with the structure?

Yes I also have the same question - since it is about landscapes?
Original post by lillyac
Anyone doing Tectonics in Unit 4? and HATING it?? :frown: Have your teachers given you any information or notes? I have NO IDEA how to answer a question on landscapes...

Also, any news on Unit 3 Section B? I am basically working alone (teacher is no help at all) and have no idea how to break down the pre-release on superpowers..any insight?

Thankssss

yess I am! I am hating it too! Our class tried begging our teacher to change it but she didn't want to change it -.- Our teacher hasn't given us any information yet but we are going to go through it soon. I really hate the title, I was praying that tectonic landscapes shouldn't come up but it did -.- So, I think I am gonna be screwed. We are going to go through superpowers soon and as soon as we get some kind of structure I'll suggest it on here.

What are you going to pick for your other sections?
Hey, im Jack and im an external candidate sitting the techtonics unit 4 report landscape paper. Do you have any information/ class notes that could help me as ive got nobody to teach me :frown: Thanks would be much appreciated!

PLEASE HELP ME I NEED TO DO WELL ON THIS EXAM! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending