The Student Room Group

AJ's Spring 2016 Anime Preview Thread

Scroll to see replies

Joker Game

With a setting as interesting as pre-WWII espionage, there was no way I was going to drop this. The first episode introduced our protagonist (spy-hating military man Sakuma), but at this point we don't know much about the eight agents themselves, other than that they come from ordinary civilian backgrounds. Maybe we won't ever learn anything more about them, due to it all being top secret. The animation, music and direction were fantastic, but it wasn't the most thrilling of introductory eps. Still, I really look forward to seeing their skills in practice next week!
Crunchyroll has Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro~ And now for today's first episodes:

Bungou Stray Dogs

This one's a keeper! A penniless, starving protagonist who got kicked out of an orphanage and is being stalked by a tiger gets involved with two equally strange private detectives with supernatural powers, and hilarity ensues. Followed by action, which was all very nicely animated. :biggrin: Anime has taught me enough to know that all the characters are named after famous Japanese authors, and their powers loosely based on the famous works of those authors, which is pretty cool.

---

Sousei no Onmyouji

Eh, I've seen a lot worse, but I've seen a lot better. Below-average production values, which matters more in an action series, and we didn't learn enough about the 'Kegare' or the 'Magano' world they reside in to really catch my interest. The characters were fairly generic in look and personality, though their interactions were cute, and that guy at the end seemed intriguing. It's early enough in the season that I won't drop it outright, fantasy is my genre and there's potential there, but I do kinda hope something better comes along.

---

Super Lovers

A solid first episode, with a really nice setting, lovely animation and character designs, cute slice of life antics, and unexpected dramatic twists. I honestly enjoyed it. But given the shounen-ai tag and hardly subtle 'Super Lovers' title, Ren and Haru's love for each other is unlikely to remain brotherly for long, and that's why I won't be continuing with this. If you're a fan of the genre and the age gap doesn't bother you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Netflix gets involved, and licenses Kuromukuro worldwide... though all we know is that it'll be streaming 'later'. Hopefully they'll attempt to do it a bit faster than they did with Sidonia no Kishi, where the series wasn't available until after it'd ended in Japan.

Crunchyroll has Big Order, and while that's definitely being simulcast, the late airdate means I might not pick it up. Some of my lineup will be on episode 3 by that point!
Anne Happy *this was previously listed as Unhappy, but I changed it since this is the official romanized title, and also a play on one of the main character's names*

It's hard to guess how good these slice of life/comedy series are going to be until you've watched them, as it all depends on the script and the characters being entertaining. Anne Happy was very funny, and I like the setting (basically a class of weirdoes singled out for training in how to become more fortunate and happy). There have been plenty of sickly characters in anime, but Botan takes things to an all-new extreme... and Hibari's 'source of misfortune' was one of the most unique I've ever seen. I'll be watching more~

---

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?

This one, I really didn't expect to like as much as I ended up doing. There have been a lot of anime focusing on MMORPGs, but I believe this is the first one I've watched where characters who'd only ever talked online have agreed to meet in person. Their first meeting was so awkward, and so amusing. :giggle: I'll let the 'coincidence' that they all happened to go to the same school slide, as that was my only complaint. :p: I look forward to seeing how their online and offline relationships will develop over the course of the series!
(edited 8 years ago)
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri

Now that was everything I'd hoped for, and more! There's no escaping the Attack on Titan comparisons in terms of look, sound, feel and premise, though to me that's really not a bad thing - the more high-budget steampunk action anime, the merrier! One obvious difference is the character designs, which I absolutely adore. I like our main character, a steamsmith, scientist and inventor who's determined to find out more about the zombie-like Kabane in order to better identify and defeat them, something most others seem too paranoid or superstitious to do. I have a new favourite for the season, and I doubt that anything yet to air will outdo it.

With that in mind, I will be dropping Sousei no Onmyouji. Something better certainly came along. :p:
(edited 8 years ago)
12-sai.: Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki

A series focusing on 12 year olds, the changes their bodies are going through at that point in life, and their first experiences with romance etc. It's only the first episode, and already one couple have made more progress than some highschool/adult romance protagonists do over the course of a whole series! :zomg: There are lots of cute, innocent parts, but plenty of the types of bullying and teasing you'd expect at that age as well. A bit too sparkly and slow for my tastes though, and the lack of reliable subs doesn't help.
Shounen Maid

Another primary school age protagonist, but this series is more slice of life/comedy. It had a decent enough first episode, Chihiro and Madoka are likable characters... but presumably there will have to be more to it than just Chihiro cleaning for the rest of the series, even if there are enough rooms for that! I found the maid uniform a bit plain compared with the rest of the costumes Madoka had on offer (though the cat pajamas were great). And then there was that ED theme, which seemed completely unrelated to anything. :lolwut: I'm curious to see where this is going, but not enough to guarantee it a place in my lineup, when there are still a fair few first episodes still to come.

---

Sakamoto desu ga?

Sakamoto was very cool, and that first episode was very funny. :laugh: There's not much else to say about it really, everything revolves around the titular protagonist, so impeccably awesome that not only do the jealous bullies pranks against him backfire on them, but he also ends up winning them over in the end! I guess the only real fear is, how long will it last before things start getting repetitive? That'll probably depend on how varied and amusing the people/animals/elements that dare to challenge him will be. For now, definitely picked up~
Kuromukuro

Well that was a strange first episode. Started off like the usual slice of life series I've come to expect from P.A. Works, but half-way through the episode the peace and happiness was disturbed by strange, spiky red mechs. And then suddenly, naked samurai. The convenient censorship during his awakening and subsequent fight scenes was probably my favourite part of the episode, very well directed! :p: Little is explained in this first episode, but while I'm sure it'll all be answered eventually, I'll leave Kuromukuro there for now - it didn't grip me, I've already got two nice-looking mech shows on the go, and there's no reliable subs yet either.

---

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

If only it were possible to act as lazy and unmotivated as Tanaka-kun in real life without getting into trouble. He's one of those characters who comes across as endearing, cute and adorable on screen, but who would be the most irritating guy ever if he was your real-life friend. Much like Ohta though, I do admire his dedication to listlessness! This was a really enjoyable first episode, a perfect relaxing, slow-paced comedy, with decent production values. I've already got a lot of SOL shows in my lineup though, so until I've checked out the last few late airing shows, it's only a maybe.

---

Kiznaiver

Maybe I was being a bit hasty when I said that nothing still to come this season could compete with Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, as Kiznaiver's first episode was amazing! :zomg: Far better animation than I'm used to from Trigger, but with all the usual style and great music. But it's the premise that really interests me - our cast of six (possibly seven, since she compared them to the deadly sins?) characters, the most varied and colourful bunch since Mayoiga's debut a week ago, are now connected, and feel each other's pain. Exactly what effects this will have on them, and their relationships with each other, should prove interesting!
Haifuri

Maybe it's because of my environmental science background, but when I read in the synopsis that the girls would be 'protecting the sea', I immediately though conservation, preventing pollution etc. Turns out I got it completely wrong. Even when they started boarding their Destroyer class battleship, it didn't immediately click that they meant protect in the military sense. :facepalm: So this is another moe meets military show, though in this one the characters are humans as opposed to ships themselves. But despite this being their first day of school, they're given command of a whole ship, armed with live torpedoes... so still not the most realistic of settings. :p: The reason I'm not immediately dropping this is that something in this otherwise happy show clearly isn't right, which I won't spoil, but it has left me curious.

Due to the overall high quality of this season's series, I'll be picking up two more than expected. But Boku no Hero Academia won't be one of them, purely down to my own preferences.
(edited 8 years ago)
Flying Witch

By far the slowest, iyashikei-like of the season's slice of life series. The main character is a witch, but we don't really get to learn what that means, aside from the fact that she can ride a broom and has knowledge of medicinal plants. The other members of the cast are regular humans (so far, though the ED teases lots of other supernatural characters to come). It's set in the countryside, there's no real plot, or much in the way of comedy... just nice scenery, nice music, nice dialogue. Doesn't stand out enough for me in a season this strong, but I may go back to it someday.
Since virtually everything is now out, I've decided to pick up the four left on my 'maybe' list (Haifuri, Ushio to Tora S2, Shounen Maid and Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge). Usually I'd leave it there, but for the sake of this preview thread, I'll also watch and share my thoughts on the very late airing eps. :smile:
Reply 73
Alright! I'm mostly caught up - should only have one more batch of 1st impressions to write next weekend when Big Order & Sinbad no Bouken come out.

Part 3:
Seisen Cerberus
Hundred
Joker Game
Twin Star Exorcists
Super Lovers
Bungou Stray Dogs
Onigiri

Part 4:
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja nai to Omotta
Anne Happy
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Concrete Revolutio S2
Shounen Maid
Sakamoto desu ga?
Haifuri
(edited 8 years ago)
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou is half-length (11 minute episodes), so I won't be bothering with it.
Reply 75
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Joker Game

With a setting as interesting as pre-WWII espionage, there was no way I was going to drop this. The first episode introduced our protagonist (spy-hating military man Sakuma), but at this point we don't know much about the eight agents themselves, other than that they come from ordinary civilian backgrounds. Maybe we won't ever learn anything more about them, due to it all being top secret. The animation, music and direction were fantastic, but it wasn't the most thrilling of introductory eps. Still, I really look forward to seeing their skills in practice next week!

Loved this anime ~~
mystery wohooo 😄😄
My first thoughts on Sansha Sanyou will *hopefully* be posted tonight... it's been a busy couple of days.

Original post by animeee
Loved this anime ~~
mystery wohooo 😄😄

It's probably got the best setting of this season for me (apart from the ones that have complete fantasy worlds, because I'm always biased there)... but I'm hoping we'll see more mystery and undercover spywork and less people sitting around smoking in later episodes. :p:
(edited 8 years ago)
Sansha Sanyou

There's no space left on my watching list for the last few late airing series, but I don't feel as though I'm missing out on much by dropping Sansha Sanyou. It's very similar to Anne Happy, focusing on an unfortunate main character (formerly pampered, wealthy girl who is now penniless) and her eccentric friends, but was the less funny of the two IMO. Certainly the nicer looking, though, great animation from Doga Kobo! If listening to girls discussing their favourite foods, eating nearly expired foods, and preparing meals that could barely be classified as food sounds appealing to you, then check it out, it's far from the worst thing this season.
We're still not quite done here~

Big Order

An Asread adaptation of an Esuno Sakae manga, so if you're a fan of Mirai Nikki, this one's probably worth checking out. It's even going to have an OP theme by Yousei Teikoku! Our main character looks like Yukiteru, but seems far less pathetic; there's also a Yuno lookalike, but so far she's all yan and no dere. And if you've not watched Mirai Nikki, none of the above is going to make any sense to you... suffice to say it should be a fun action/psychological thriller series with some unpredictable and bizarre looking characters and equally strange abilities. The couple of different powers we've seen so far make me feel this series has a lot of potential, and the music and animation are good too, so I'll be sure to come back to it eventually.
(edited 8 years ago)
Netflix will be streaming Magi: Sinbad no Bouken worldwide at some point - that's the only thing that hasn't aired now, so I'll post my thoughts once it's subbed.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest