The Student Room Group

Going away near results day

I want to go away between A level results day and the start of uni. What's the minimum amount of time I should leave between results day and going away? Is it ok to go the day after? Also how soon should I be back before uni starts? I don't know if there are things to sort out or whatever. Any help appreciated
Original post by 1lilypad1
I want to go away between A level results day and the start of uni. What's the minimum amount of time I should leave between results day and going away? Is it ok to go the day after? Also how soon should I be back before uni starts? I don't know if there are things to sort out or whatever. Any help appreciated

How long after results day is hard to say - if you go through Clearing / Adjustment, you may want to visit the university if they have a special Clearing open day. That will usually take place within 2-10 days after results day. However, if you get the grades, there's no need to wait around after results day.

In terms of returning, just make sure that you have enough time to pack, get over any jet lag and account for any cancelled flights - other disasters.

Just make sure you have regular access to the Internet - depending on your uni, you may have to deal with accommodation in that period - receiving and accepting an offer, paying a deposit etc, and this will typically be done by email with relatively short deadlines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't better to just go before results day? Results day can unpredictable..
Reply 3
Original post by Legendary Quest
Isn't better to just go before results day? Results day can unpredictable..

I don't think going before results day will be possible, but you're probably right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best case scenario, you get into your firm choice and you get a place in halls then a few days would be fine. I spent a morning shopping for everything I needed for uni- bedding, cutlery, crockery, opening student bank account e.c.t Then it a case of accepting my place in halls via email setting up my IT account both of which didn't take long but required an internet connection and packing everything.

However if you end up at either your insurance choice or in clearing, you may need to arrange private accommodation- this will require you to be able to visit houses yourself, as you can never be sure of the quality of private housing just from photos.

So IMO I would leave at least a week between results day and going away- and I'd want to arrive home at least 3 days before, maybe a week before if possible.

In the best case scenario, i.e. you get into your firm and your accommodation is all sorted, you'll probably still need to enroll online and come back with enough time to pack. It would help if there's someone at home to pick up any post for you and let you know what's arrived. You'll definitely need to be somewhere with a computer and a reliable internet connection.

However, it's probably best to consider the worst case scenario- i.e. you miss your firm and insurance and need to go through clearing. It might take a few days to get a place sorted via clearing that you're happy with, and once the place is sorted, you'll still need to sort accommodation. Usually this will have to be private accommodation, and you may want to visit before committing. I would say two weeks would probably be enough time to sort everything out without feeling under a lot of pressure and perhaps making decisions you might regret.

Coming back, you'll also want a bit of spare time to account for delayed flights and other problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending