The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Physics/Theoretical Physics 2016 Applicants

Hi everyone.

I have observed a lot of physics/theoretical physics applicants have not received offers so far and quite a few did not even get a chance to be interviewed.

This is a thread for people who are waiting in anxiety and for physics offer holders, including those who got offers for alternative subjects, to discuss their status and share information.

Scroll to see replies

Theoretical physics, non-UK/EU applicant, applied in mid Oct, no interview, waiting for a decision, over
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Thanks for making the thread Hugh!

TP, EU, applied on 9 Jan, no interview, waiting for decision.
TP, UK applicant, interview on the 3rd, no response yet but it's too early for me to know.
Straight physics, non-UK/EU, applied in mid-November, no interview, still waiting for a decision.
Q) To those who applied for Theoretical Physics, what is your reasoning of choosing Theoretical Physics over
regular Physics?

I chose Theoretical Physics because I hate labs. Anybody else? :redface:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Q) To those who applied for Theoretical Physics, what is your reasoning of choosing Theoretical Physics over
regular Physics?

I have no interest in subjects that are human related such as history, engineering, economics, etc. If I take normal physics courses, I would probably end up as an engineer or something that I do not want to be.

Have you got invited to an interview or received your decision yet, if I may ask?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HughHuang96824
I have no interest in subjects that are human related such as history, engineering, economics, etc. If I take normal physics courses, I would probably end up as an engineer or something that I do not want to be.

Have you got invited to an interview or received your decision yet, if I may ask?

I didn't apply to Imperial for Theoretical Physics.
I applied to study Theoretical Physics at UCL.

I commented on this thread because I can still relate to people studying the same subject even though we are studying at different universities. I just wanted to know what reasons were behind why people chose Physics since we all have a different "why". :lol: :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
regular Physics?

Because I love maths (my other 4 choices are Maths+Physics/Maths+TP) and I really want to learn how to use maths to explore the most fundamental aspects of physics. I find it fascinating how maths and physics are so related and how theoretical physics is like 40/50 years ahead of experimental physics. I think that being able to describe everything from particle interactions to the behaviour of galaxy clusters using elegant maths is the closest to absolute knowledge. Also, I hate drawing graphs and error bars and calculating uncertainties in experiments hahaha
Original post by PLM98
Because I love maths (my other 4 choices are Maths+Physics/Maths+TP) and I really want to learn how to use maths to explore the most fundamental aspects of physics. I find it fascinating how maths and physics are so related and how theoretical physics is like 40/50 years ahead of experimental physics. I think that being able to describe everything from particle interactions to the behaviour of galaxy clusters using elegant maths is the closest to absolute knowledge. Also, I hate drawing graphs and error bars and calculating uncertainties in experiments hahaha

You just summed up every single reason why I love theoretical Physics aswell :smile:
*brofist*

Its kinda like magic ... using nothing but a chalk + blackboard to explain the fundamentals of the universe.. :biggrin:

Yeah, I hate the latter aswell. Uncertainties+labs = :shot:
Reply 10
You just summed up every single reason why I love theoretical Physics aswell :smile:
*brofist*

Its kinda like magic ... using nothing but a chalk + blackboard to explain the fundamentals of the universe.. :biggrin:

Yeah, I hate the latter aswell. Uncertainties+labs = :shot:

Hahahaha yeah, why do we want lasers, superconductors and liquid helium when we can have a chalk and a blackboard? hahahahaha I think you would love the Mathematical Physics course at Edinburgh then: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/15-16/dpt/utmapym.htm What other unis courses have you applied to? And what offers have you got?
Original post by PLM98
Hahahaha yeah, why do we want lasers, superconductors and liquid helium when we can have a chalk and a blackboard? hahahahaha I think you would love the Mathematical Physics course at Edinburgh then: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/15-16/dpt/utmapym.htm What other unis courses have you applied to? And what offers have you got?

UCL x2 courses (firm)
KCL(insurance)
Bristol - declined.
QMUL - declined.

I'm staying in London ... London>all. :yep:
Wbu? Where have you applied to?
Reply 12
Edinburgh, St Andrews, ICL, Warwick and Bath. I have offers from all of them except ICL, haven't heard back from them yet. I regret not applying to Cambridge :/ I was lazy and didn't do my p.s. over the summer. I love London, but the downside is that it is too expensive. I would consider going to ICL though, if I ever get an offer hahaha
Reply 13
Original post by PLM98

That's the wrong way to go about Physics. Appreciating experiments is important. Take it from me. I was intending to apply for maths, having studied pure maths all this time and taking part in bmo, etc. I changed my mind after I got interested in generating plasma at home and watching some documentaries on faraday and dirac. I like to think of Physics as the most central creation of mankind. It has the experiments associated with engineering, the soft matter of biology, the molecules of chemistry, the structures of mathematics, and the algorithms of computer science. The theoretical branch is simply a different interpretation of the same subject matter. This doesn't mean that we can just forget about experiments. Indeed, it is impossible to derive any Physical formula without relying upon experimental constants.
Besides, you'll have to do labs in the first year if you apply to Imperial :P
Reply 14
Original post by RaminT
That's the wrong way to go about Physics. Appreciating experiments is important. Take it from me. I was intending to apply for maths, having studied pure maths all this time and taking part in bmo, etc. I changed my mind after I got interested in generating plasma at home and watching some documentaries on faraday and dirac. I like to think of Physics as the most central creation of mankind. It has the experiments associated with engineering, the soft matter of biology, the molecules of chemistry, the structures of mathematics, and the algorithms of computer science. The theoretical branch is simply a different interpretation of the same subject matter. This doesn't mean that we can just forget about experiments. Indeed, it is impossible to derive any Physical formula without relying upon experimental constants.
Besides, you'll have to do labs in the first year if you apply to Imperial :P

Yeah I know haha I do like experiments, and I am aware of their importance. It is just the report writing I don't enjoy much. Yes, in the first year (or years, depending on the uni) you have compulsory labs, even in TP. I like it and I feel it is essential to taste the experimental branch, at least for the first year or first couple of years. However I prefer the more mathematical side of physics, and I prefer having the opportunity of focusing on theoretical modules in my last years.
Reply 15
Original post by PLM98
Yeah I know haha I do like experiments, and I am aware of their importance. It is just the report writing I don't enjoy much. Yes, in the first year (or years, depending on the uni) you have compulsory labs, even in TP. I like it and I feel it is essential to taste the experimental branch, at least for the first year or first couple of years. However I prefer the more mathematical side of physics, and I prefer having the opportunity of focusing on theoretical modules in my last years.

Just out of interest. What field would you like to go into. Personally, I like the looks of condensed matter theory or statistical mechanics.
Original post by RaminT
Just out of interest. What field would you like to go into. Personally, I like the looks of condensed matter theory or statistical mechanics.

Unification and quantum field theory!!!
Reply 17
Original post by HughHuang96824
Unification and quantum field theory!!!

Wow. That's quite virtuous considering how difficult it is to get established as a researcher in that field... or to make any money.
Reply 18
Original post by RaminT

Possibly particle and nuclear physics (I find Quantum Chromodynamics particularly attractive), and stuff beyond the standard model. I also find GR very sexy, and unification looks quite cool as well. Recently I am also becoming quite interested in CM physics, especially superconductivity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by PLM98
Possibly particle and nuclear physics (I find Quantum Chromodynamics particularly attractive), and stuff beyond the standard model. I also find GR very sexy, and unification looks quite cool as well. Recently I am also becoming quite interested in CM physics, especially superconductivity.

You almost listed every active field of Physics :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest