The Student Room Group

A-Level Chemistry for exams in 2017?

Is it realistic to complete A-level chemistry in a year whilst studying Animal Management (Level 3)? I'll be looking to get a private tutor for 1-2 hours per week and taking the summer 2017 exams.

I want to go into Vet Med in Sept 2017, a couple of places will accept A/S level passing at A/B, but thought if I aim for the whole A-level I'll have more options.
Or... aiming high in the AS-level and retaking GCSE science?

I'm going back as a mature student so I'm quite basic with all sciences at the moment. I looked at my GCSE double science results from 2000 and I only received a DD :shock:
Original post by AnimalMike
Is it realistic to complete A-level chemistry in a year whilst studying Animal Management (Level 3)? I'll be looking to get a private tutor for 1-2 hours per week and taking the summer 2017 exams.

I want to go into Vet Med in Sept 2017, a couple of places will accept A/S level passing at A/B, but thought if I aim for the whole A-level I'll have more options.
Or... aiming high in the AS-level and retaking GCSE science?

I'm going back as a mature student so I'm quite basic with all sciences at the moment. I looked at my GCSE double science results from 2000 and I only received a DD :shock:

It's certainly possible to cover A level Chemistry in a year. There are places which actually do this in practice and offer an accelerated course. I believe @The Epicurean may have done such a course so perhaps he can advise.

But you ought to be aware that A level Chemistry includes a practical component so it's important to find a centre that will allow you to sit it, if you decide to self study. It's also a big step up from GCSE so it might be worth looking at some bridging and refresher material before proceeding.

Quick Reply

Latest