The Student Room Group

Do free courses provided by Universities award ucas points?

Essentially, I'm a first year B-tec Level 3 Media Studies student and I'll be starting the early stages of my Uni applications soon, which has got me thinking about the whole idea of moving on to the next stage of education. I've always been an underachiever in a sence, so although my tutor has told me I'm likely to finish the whole course with DDD, I'm worried about only getting DMM, which is below the 300 UCAS points (DDM) that my favourite Uni's want (Lincoln etc.)

I was wondering that as a backup in case I do underachieve, which I hopefully wont, what other ways there were to get more UCAS points. I know about playing instruments and horseback riding, but I do non of those things. That's when I searched online which lead me to courses such as this:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/digital-storytelling?utm_campaign=Share+Links&utm_medium=futurelearn-run_details&utm_source=facebook

They're free online course that last a couple of weeks but they're provided by different Universities. I was just wondering if anyone knows if these can supply me with a few more UCAS points? Or if I did this course and put it on my application would that give me an edge over other applicants?

Thanks for reading and if you have any answers that would be great!
Original post by LewisJS
Essentially, I'm a first year B-tec Level 3 Media Studies student and I'll be starting the early stages of my Uni applications soon, which has got me thinking about the whole idea of moving on to the next stage of education. I've always been an underachiever in a sence, so although my tutor has told me I'm likely to finish the whole course with DDD, I'm worried about only getting DMM, which is below the 300 UCAS points (DDM) that my favourite Uni's want (Lincoln etc.)

I was wondering that as a backup in case I do underachieve, which I hopefully wont, what other ways there were to get more UCAS points. I know about playing instruments and horseback riding, but I do non of those things. That's when I searched online which lead me to courses such as this:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/digital-storytelling?utm_campaign=Share+Links&utm_medium=futurelearn-run_details&utm_source=facebook

They're free online course that last a couple of weeks but they're provided by different Universities. I was just wondering if anyone knows if these can supply me with a few more UCAS points? Or if I did this course and put it on my application would that give me an edge over other applicants?

Only do courses you are interested in for their own sake, and not for any points they claim to give you. Universities won't make offers including points that aren't relevant to the course you are applying for, and no amount of extra things will make up for a shortfall in the academic qualifications they are looking for.
Reply 2
Rather than investing your time in free courses, focus on your extended diploma, I was predicted D*DD in mine a few years ago but worked hard and came out with D*D*D*

futureLearn courses do not provide UCAS points, I have done some myself, they are mostly for personal interest
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LewisJS

no they won't i'm fairly sure.
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
Rather than investing your time in free courses, focus on your extended diploma, I was predicted D*DD in mine a few years ago but worked hard and came out with D*D*D*

futureLearn courses do not provide UCAS points, I have done some myself, they are mostly for personal interest

Ok that makes sense. I'm pretty sure I'll get what I need by the end of my course I just worry that I won't for odd reasons! Thanks for the answer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending