The Student Room Group

I'm unhappy at university right now and i really need some advice :(

Hello guys .. I've never done something like this before and its kinda new to me , but i really need some help . Im in my 1st year of university and im studying law , but this wasnt my choice .. i didnt have a word or an opinion for my future , everything was decided by my parents .. So now im stuck in a course which i hate and since the past few months , i havent smiled once , i laugh rarely and depression is building inside of me and its killing me .. Everyone is saying that these years will be the best of my life and so far i feel miserable . Studying law is hard in the first place , but studying law while you dont like it , its unbearable , i cant keep going , but my parents wont listen to me and they are the one with the money .. I've tried to like my course and give it time with the hope that something might change , but nothing is happening ! Im thinking of withdrawing and find something else that its suitable for me , but before that i would like to hear some advices from you and your point of view :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tonyto26
Hello guys .. I've never done something like this before and its kinda new to me , but i really need some help . Im in my 1st year of university and im studying law , but this wasnt my choice .. i didnt have a word or an opinion for my future , everything was decided by my parents .. So now im stuck in a course which i hate and since the past few months , i havent smiled once , i laugh rarely and depression is building inside of me and its killing me .. Everyone is saying that these years will be the best of my life and so far i feel miserable . Studying law is hard in the first place , but studying law while you dont like it , its unbearable , i cant keep going , but my parents wont listen to me and they are the one with the money .. I've tried to like my course and give it time with the hope that something might change , but nothing is happening ! Im thinking of withdrawing and find something else that its suitable for me , but before that i would like to hear some advices from you and your point of view :smile:

If its making you feel depressed then i would definitely consider switching course
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If its making you feel depressed then i would definitely consider switching course

I want it so badly , but im being rejected by my parents all the time and now .. i dont want to sound like a mama's boy or someone who cant do things without the approval of his parents , but i want them to be happy and i know that by withdrawing im going to break their hearts which breaks mine .. its really complicated :frown:
I want it so badly , but im being rejected by my parents all the time and now .. i dont want to sound like a mama's boy or someone who cant do things without the approval of his parents , but i want them to be happy and i know that by withdrawing im going to break their hearts which breaks mine .. its really complicated :frown:

I think it this situation you need to put yourself first, go to them with a plan B and explain why leaving will make you much happier.
Reply 4
I know one girl with the same situation as you. What she did was she finished the first course year, and travelled to Africa for about 6 months to do some voluntary work with helping animals and people. ( I don't know why but she thought that it was the best thing for her to do as she liked helping others and wanted a break from her family). After that she came back to her country and decided what other course she wanted to study.
That's a good idea - take a year off to do something abroad like helping animals to improve their lives, or helping out battery hens and suchlike, to give yourself another perspective on life.
Remember that all courses can be hard and difficult to understand even if superficially they sound more interesting than Law. Law can be interesting in its own way.

They control the money?

Why are you doing law? Is it because they want you to be a lawyer? There is an obvious way out.
Reply 7
Original post by In2u
I know one girl with the same situation as you. What she did was she finished the first course year, and travelled to Africa for about 6 months to do some voluntary work with helping animals and people. ( I don't know why but she thought that it was the best thing for her to do as she liked helping others and wanted a break from her family). After that she came back to her country and decided what other course she wanted to study.

I was thinking of finishing the first year at least , but its really hard . The
professors dont care about us , they dont even care to come to our lectures at the university . For my most important exams , the professors arent showing and when they come , they stay for 15-25 min. - My way to the university is from 1 h to 1 h. and 30 min. , so apparently i travel 1 h and 30 min. for 15-25 min lecture
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
They control the money?

Why are you doing law? Is it because they want you to be a lawyer? There is an obvious way out.

Im listening .. :smile:
Reply 9
I was thinking of finishing the first year at least , but its really hard . The
professors dont care about us , they dont even care to come to our lectures at the university . For my most important exams , the professors arent showing and when they come , they stay for 15-25 min. - My way to the university is from 1 h to 1 h. and 30 min. , so apparently i travel 1 h and 30 min. for 15-25 min lecture

What about changing the University? Have you got any idea what you would like to do instead of Law?
Im listening .. :smile:

You havent answered the question. Why do your parents want you to do law?

Buck up sissypants
Reply 12
Original post by In2u
What about changing the University? Have you got any idea what you would like to do instead of Law?

I always wanted to be a chef , to travel a lot and learn new cuisines

Do whatever makes you feel happy. Don't prioritise your parents' happiness over yours.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
You havent answered the question. Why do your parents want you to do law?

Because it is a well paid job
Well you can do other well paid jobs. you just have to persuade them you are unsuitable for law i.e you are so unhappy you are going to fail and then give them a plan B of a different subject with potential to give you a well paid career. Did they go to uni or are they professionals?

You should use your uni tutor, the careers office and do soem research so you cna present a well prepared viable alternative. If you dont like i you dont like it. Studiying on the LPC can be a lot different as can being in practice.
Reply 16
I always wanted to be a chef , to travel a lot and learn new cuisines

That's sounds great! Maybe if you will survive the Law's degree then you could do some Chef courses as I believe they are short and don't take long to complete. Then you would have a choice of two jobs and I believe that your parents would be happy with that as well :smile: However if you are really sick of Laws degree, do really talk to your parents and tell them how depressed you are. It's alright as not everyone is born to be good at Law, a lot of people in universities realise that they took the wrong course. Do what you think is the best for you and your future.
Reply 17

Just man up and tell them you are not planning on being a solicitor anyway. Be honest, and tell them they are actually ruining your future, instead of helping you build it. I have wasted over 4 years of my life on my law course, LPC and some more on a training contract (which I quit, and now I am unemployed, and miserable).
Reply 18
Original post by Ciel.
Just man up and tell them you are not planning on being a solicitor anyway. Be honest, and tell them they are actually ruining your future, instead of helping you build it. I have wasted over 4 years of my life on my law course, LPC and some more on a training contract (which I quit, and now I am unemployed, and miserable).

Why dont you try something that you like this time ? Its never too late to start a new course , just pick the right one this time :smile:
It's your life, you have the right to make your own decision.

If you hate the first year of Law how are you going to stand a career of 40+ years in it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending