The Student Room Group

Imperial College- Medicine 2017 entry

Didn't see a thread for this and I thought we could start discussing things. eg, gcse grades, entry requriements, interviews, bmat, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yh, this seems like a good idea.
watching
Original post by sm11adt
Good idea...

Whats the best plan for BMAT preparation?

I've bought a bmat revision guide that has loads of questions in. To be honest though i have touched it since i bought it a few months ago ahah...
Original post by RasputinReborn
Is everyone still optimistic of their chances after those difficult new science A-level papers?

hoping for lower grade boundaries haha.
Reply 5
Original post by sm11adt
Good idea...

Whats the best plan for BMAT preparation?

The first and most important step is to consider the BMAT like any other A-Level or GCSE examination, and ignore any mention of the BMAT as 'an examination that cannot be prepared for.' The more you practice; the better you score: simple.

Section 1 (Aptitude and Skills) - 35 MCQ, 60 Minutes
Question Types: Problem Solving, Data Handling & Critical Thinking

A) Resources - Make use of the abundance of free practice resources available for Section 1. In addition to the Official BMAT Past Papers, Oxford TSA Past Papers provide additional practice for Problem Solving questions whilst OCR Critical Thinking Unit 2 is a very useful practice resource for Critical Thinking Questions.

B) Recognise Pitfalls - In contrast to most A-Level examinations, BMAT Section 1 is full of tricks and trips, intended to misguide students. Fortunately, there are only so-many tricks that the BMAT are able to use. Hence, each time you come across one of these, add it to your 'personal list', to avoid making the same mistake in future practice.

Section 2 (Scientific Knowledge and Applications) - 27 MCQ, 30 Minutes
Question Types: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics

A) Official Resource Guide - With this being the official resource guide, there really is no better resource for Section 2 preparation. Most students find it best to quickly review the whole guide and highlight any topics which they have not covered at GCSE level for further learning. Bear in mind that whilst Section 2 is supposed to be 'GCSE Level'; the examination can assess topics which you may not have covered until AS and sometimes even A2 due to variation in exam board specifications.

B) Timing - Half the challenge of Section 2 is the limited time; hence, it essential to practice this section under strict timed conditions. Fast mental maths, confident use of fractions and a good background Biology knowledge, will ensure that you have additional time for those challenging Physics and Chemistry calculations.

C) Resources - Once you have completed all official and BMAT specific resources, GCSE Bitesize is of some use, whilst you may wish to also consider practicing GCSE Maths Calculator papers, without a calculator in order to further improve your mental maths.

Section 3 (Written Task) - 1 Essay (Choice of 4), 30 Minutes
Question Types: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

A) Address all parts of the question - Each question normally has three or four parts. Regardless of how good your essay is, if you do not address all parts of the question, your essay will be capped at 3/3.5 as per the Section 3 Official Marking Criteria.

B) Plan - With 30 minutes, and one A4 sheet provided, this section is the least time restricted. Essays which score highest are those which are well structured and address all parts of the question, bringing in additional topical examples and knowledge.

Free BMAT Resources
A) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 1)
B) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 2)
C) Past Paper Worked Solutions
D) Section 1 Practice Questions
E) Section 2 Practice Questions
F) Practice Questions

Books
A) Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the Biomedical Admissions Test
B) Get into Medical School. 400 BMAT Practice Questions
Reply 6
If you visit the imperial college london website..............

They no longer have gcse requirements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hoping I get that A* prediction :frown:
what do you guys thinks the grade boundaries for the sciences will be this year?
Reply 9
Good luck everyone! It is nice to see some of the aspiring medics during the open days! If you have any burning questions about the application process, the course, the life at med school, please please fire away!
I am not too sure about applying to imperial cause the UCAS deadline is before the actual BMAT date & imperial have a cut off score which is the first thing they look at so when you get your results and you perhaps don't meet cut off score you will instantly know that you have wasted a choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Cobbold
I am not too sure about applying to imperial cause the UCAS deadline is before the actual BMAT date & imperial have a cut off score which is the first thing they look at so when you get your results and you perhaps don't meet cut off score you will instantly know that you have wasted a choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the biggest risk with taking the BMAT. Most people who apply to Imperial trip up here.
Original post by Dr Cobbold

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I'm worried about that too because we're already limited with only 4 choices :frown::s-smilie:
I currently study at Imperial, so if anyone has any questions about studying medicine there, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I currently study at Imperial, so if anyone has any questions about studying medicine there, feel free to ask :smile:

Thanks for the offer. I'm curious, are any and if so how many medical students at Imperial are from the US?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PacificSun
Thanks for the offer. I'm curious, are any and if so how many medical students at Imperial are from the US?

In my year, none. I don't know about the other years in general, but I know one other student in an older year who is from the US
Original post by PacificSun

In my year, i noticed a couple with US accent, so maybe?
Which universities are you thinking of applying to besides Imperial?
Original post by natalia.medicine
Which universities are you thinking of applying to besides Imperial?

At the moment Edingburgh and Barts and maybe Cambridge but not sure. What about you?
Hey! Can't decide between applying to UCL or imperial... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest