The Student Room Group

Imperial College- Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rifdhy
Hey, I'm considering applying to Imperial med with A*AA (A* in maths) in my A2s. Would this be a massive drawback, minimum requirement is AAA but most offers is A*AA (A* in bio or chem.) Know anyone who got in with my grades?
Many thanks :smile:

I'm applying this year just like you but from what I understand, I believe the very first thing that Imperial look at is to see if you met their minimum requirement of AAA and then the second thing they look at is to see if you met the BMAT cut off.

Now, if you get a strong BMAT score: say around 5.4 for Sections 1 and 2, and also around 3.5A for section 3... I reckon you should get an interview guranteed.

Imperial, I believe, focus heavily on the BMAT.
Reply 41
Original post by sububzi
I'm applying this year just like you but from what I understand, I believe the very first thing that Imperial look at is to see if you met their minimum requirement of AAA and then the second thing they look at is to see if you met the BMAT cut off.

Now, if you get a strong BMAT score: say around 5.4 for Sections 1 and 2, and also around 3.5A for section 3... I reckon you should get an interview guranteed.

Imperial, I believe, focus heavily on the BMAT.

Thank you! Your a gap year student too? I think I remember seeing your dp in the UCL med thread last year
Original post by Rifdhy
Thank you! Your a gap year student too? I think I remember seeing your dp in the UCL med thread last year

Ah no I'm actually in year 13 :smile: My DP is quite popular on TSR actually so it was definitely somone else :P
What are the BMAT cut off points for medicine at imperial?
Original post by OnceUponADoc

4.5 Section 1
4.5 Section 2
2.5 B for Section 3

Edit: This was for last year's entry

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
This thread is really quiet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 46
ok so we only have to get above the cut-off for our application to be considered? it's not like we're gonna be ranked on our BMAT scores to be chosen for interviews, yeah?
Original post by cheeku
ok so we only have to get above the cut-off for our application to be considered? it's not like we're gonna be ranked on our BMAT scores to be chosen for interviews, yeah?

That's precisely what's gonna happen
We get put into bands according to the BMAT score and the higher the band the more likely you are to get an interview .

Here's a useful blogpost about it

http://uclmedic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/how-imperial-use-bmat-guide-for.html?m=1
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OnceUponADoc

It changes every year.
Original post by Bright_Gift
That's precisely what's gonna happen
We get put into bands according to the BMAT score and the higher the band the more likely you are to get an interview .

Here's a useful blogpost about it

http://uclmedic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/how-imperial-use-bmat-guide-for.html?m=1
Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hate that 😞 I really want an interview

Original post by CutieTootsie
I really hate that 😞 I really want an interview

Sameee
Hey,
I wasn't sure whether I should apply to imperial or not so I didn't put it on my BMAT registration form. Later I decided to apply to imperial and put it on my UCAS choices.
I know that BMAT sends the results directly to universities. So how do I get my results sent to imperial? (Once they're here)
Original post by AmmarAliJaved
Hey,
I wasn't sure whether I should apply to imperial or not so I didn't put it on my BMAT registration form. Later I decided to apply to imperial and put it on my UCAS choices.
I know that BMAT sends the results directly to universities. So how do I get my results sent to imperial? (Once they're here)

Ask your school to call BMAT up amd put Imperial down for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
yoohoo another imperial applicant here!!
Hello guys,

I found this essay incredibly awkward to write and the last part of it in particular was really difficult. Can some please give me some feedback and tell me how to improve it. Also how would you answer the last par of the question?

I really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you very much in advance.:smile:

PS..... this is a 2011 paper. would the layout of the essay still be like similar to this on Wednesday

People injured whilst participating in extreme sports should nit be treated by a publicly funded health service.

Explain the reasoning behind this statement. Suggest an argument against this statement. To what extent, if any, does the statement justify a change in public attitudes to personal risk taking?

An extreme sport is a sport which is perceived as having a high level of inherent danger. Examples of such are boxing and extreme waterboard sports. The reasoning behind the above statement is that why should the public pay for injuries which are self conflicted and most likely going to occur again. It would be a better use of resources, time and money to treat other people who have not brought their injuries to themselves.

Although this may initially seem as to be a rather popular idea, it has many fundamental flaws which make it an unrealistic policy to implement. First of all, people who undertake extreme sports are members of society and contribute to the NHS. Their right to free healthcare is as important as any other persons right. If they should not be treated by the NHS, then surely they should have lower taxes. Secondly, many members of the public smoke and drink excessively. These habits can have catastrophic effects on a persons health as a whole. For example, smokers who may require a lung transplant as the state of their lungs has deteriorated significantly due to smoking. This can also be classified as a self inflicted injury. Should smokers and drinkers not be treated by the NHS as well? Furthermore, many people who undertake extreme sports, such as boxing, professionally are extremely fit. They take very good care of their health at all times. On the other hand, some members of the public are overweight and obese. This can increase the chances of developing Coronary Heart Disease and so would require treatment. However should they also be denied of treatment?

This statement can change the public's opinion and attitude towards personal risk taking greatly. It can cause the public to significantly oppose the treatment of such athletes, which although may seem logical would be quite hypocritical. On the contrary, it can also cause he public to push for more regulations in connection with extreme sports to ensure that the injuries are less significant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! First year Imperial medic here :smile: Good luck with the BMAT on Wednesday - we were all in the same position as you last year, don't stress! Remember to be strict and ruthless with timing, if you know you won't be able to work out the answer in the time given mark an answer and move on! Then you'll have time to come back to it at the end :smile: and for the essay: don't over complicate it (what I did last year :frown: )! and seriously make sure you plan before hand! If you have any questions with the rest of the application process (interviews etc) let me know and I'll try to help, good luck :smile: xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by imperial_medic1
Hey guys! First year Imperial medic here :smile: Good luck with the BMAT on Wednesday - we were all in the same position as you last year, don't stress! Remember to be strict and ruthless with timing, if you know you won't be able to work out the answer in the time given mark an answer and move on! Then you'll have time to come back to it at the end :smile: and for the essay: don't over complicate it (what I did last year :frown: )! and seriously make sure you plan before hand! If you have any questions with the rest of the application process (interviews etc) let me know and I'll try to help, good luck :smile: xx

Thank you so much! Do you remember your score from last year? Well done for meeting the cut-off btw lol

Original post by CutieTootsie
Thank you so much! Do you remember your score from last year? Well done for meeting the cut-off btw lol

Pretty much the cut off lol 4.5, 4.5 and 3A :smile:
Pretty much the cut off lol 4.5, 4.5 and 3A :smile:

Omg you give me hope! It really hard to get top marks

Reply 59
Pretty much the cut off lol 4.5, 4.5 and 3A

Thanks so much for the advice and the offer to help :smile:

Even though its just at the cut-off, that score in itself is still pretty good! So did you have really strong predicted A-levels/IB and personal statement to "balance the score" and be invited for interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending