The Student Room Group

Basic maths help needed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DylanJ42
well i know what you mean as I hate my Bs at gcse but AAAB will never hold you back, considering about half of alevel students only do 3 ASs (and the country average is probably CCC :laugh:)

well scrape an A by 3 marks this year and you'll get an A overall :biggrin: definitely achievable, i like the system regarding A*s where only A2s count, it means AS isn't as vital for the top grades as everyone is still a little immature and everything at AS level i think, most people wise up and get serious at A2

wow UCL thats so cool, very well done :biggrin: what are your other plans?

I'm thinking about having a gap year but I know my parent's would disown me lol they seriously want me to go to uni and get it over with. It just seems like a lot work and knowing myself, I don't even want to study mathematics nor a physics based subject. idk it just seems like my whole life is set out for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonyi
I'm thinking about having a gap year but I know my parent's would disown me lol they seriously want me to go to uni and get it over with. It just seems like a lot work and knowing myself, I don't even want to study mathematics nor a physics based subjects. idk it just seems like my whole life is set out for me.

maybe you could discuss with your parents how taking a gap year will let you think about what you actually want to do in the future as im sure they want you to be happy in life and not be stuck doing a subject at uni and a job you don't want to do

but yea studying maths is quite scary because you're just expected to do finance and i really don't want to :laugh: but well see what happens in the future
Reply 42
maybe you could discuss with your parents how taking a gap year will let you think about what you actually want to do in the future as im sure they want you to be happy in life and not be stuck doing a subject at uni and a job you don't want to do

but yea studying maths is quite scary because you're just expected to do finance and i really don't want to :laugh: but well see what happens in the future

Dude since I'm the only daughter, my dad wouldn't allow it. You have no idea how many times I hinted to my parents that I despise maths and don't want to pursue any career involved with statistics or finance. My twin brothers are studying chemical engineering and my dad is an accountant who used to study at UCL. Tbh he was the reason why I got an offer. Which is kinda pathetic. My whole family are just science and maths freaks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonyi
Dude since I'm the only daughter, my dad wouldn't allow it. You have no idea how many times I hinted to my parents that I despise maths and don't want to pursue any career involved with statistics or finance. My twin brothers are studying chemical engineering and my dad is an accountant who used to study at UCL. Tbh he was the reason why I got an offer. Which is kinda pathetic. My whole family are just science and maths freaks.

well if you have to go to uni then is there anyway you could contact the uni about changing course or something? can you think of something youd rather study at uni

a maths degree doesnt mean you have to go into a maths job
Reply 44
well if you have to go to uni then is there anyway you could contact the uni about changing course or something? can you think of something youd rather study at uni

a maths degree doesnt mean you have to go into a maths job

I'll probably just do what my parents want. Just to get them out of my way. I have no idea what I want to pursue. It's a shame we are pressured to decide a career at a young age. It would be difficult to change courses at this point. I'll just see how my June exams goes and I'll contact the uni.
Original post by Anonyi
I'll probably just do what my parents want. Just to get them out of my way. I have no idea what I want to pursue. It's a shame we are pressured to decide a career at a young age. It would be difficult to change courses at this point. I'll just see how my June exams goes and I'll contact the uni.

well changing from maths to computer science or maths to physics or something might be possible

but yea i feel everything is chosen very early, i mean we picked our alevels at 16 years old :afraid:

but good luck with your exams :biggrin:
Reply 46
well changing from maths to computer science or maths to physics or something might be possible

but yea i feel everything is chosen very early, i mean we picked our alevels at 16 years old :afraid:

but good luck with your exams :biggrin:

You too bro :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest