The Student Room Group

2.1 Offer - a 2.2 looks more likely

TLDR: Really successful B4 internship, offered a grad job with a 2.1, might get a 2.2 - help!?

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

Some background info without being too specific,

Study a Science (Hons) at a top 10 uni, interned with KPMG this last summer which culminated in a graduate offer of employment, under the conditions of a 2.1. Internship went really well, received glowing reports from project managers, interviewed and had lunch with director and partner of my team, both seemed impressed, got on really well and they ultimately have the final say on my offer.

Thing is, in my second year I achieved a 45 average (yes, I know, horrendous, but basically didn't try at all, attended 0 lectures yada yada yada which I whole heartedly regret. I am more than capable academically to achieve a 2.1/ 1st (360 UCAS points, 12 GCSEs A*/A). My final year counts for 2/3rds my overall mark, and currently averaging 64 (would be 73 but I achieved poorly in one module in particular) and now need an average of 70 in my final exams to secure a 2.1 (with some rounding), something I can do but know will be an uphill struggle.

Basically, I will either scrape a 2.1, or narrowly miss out (and this is taking into account the discretionary rounding my uni does of 1.5%, i.e can be awarded a 2.1 with 58.5%)

I feel these are my options/ outcomes;
- Get a 2.1 - No problems
- Get a 2.2 - Still accepted - No problems
- Get a 2.2 - Get rejected - Big problem
- Get a 2.2 - Beg for my life - Say I was immature etc in second year - got my act together in third year after receiving the offer, say i averaged 65 but still wasn't enough - and either get accepted/ get rejected.
- Get a 2.2 - Ask if it would be ok to defer employment for a year, do a masters (confident in that I will achieve a 2.1) and start in 2017

Would love some advice on which of these is likely/ my best course of action? Would having a really successful internship have any sway over the usual 2.1 cut off? In that I will have some sort of proof i am capable of the job.

I'll be grateful to hear the words of anyone in a/ has been in a/ knows someone in a similar situation, or anyone with some recruiting/ managerial experience for larger companies

Thanks for your time :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds as if you had your lousy year before the internship, which didn't stop them from making the summer offer. If you have your act together now, it might be OK unless there's some recruiting statistic they need to keep intact.

If your transcript breaks out performance and shows a lot of firsts and high 2:1s in this year, that might convince them you're worth the shot-- especially since they know your work.

Do you know someone on your KPMG team that you can sound out?
To be honest, if you get a 2:2 and are rejected, you only have yourself to blame.

I'm presuming that you did your internship between your second and third years, in which case you'd have received your internship offer part way through your second year. Why then, despite you being offered a prestigious internship with a B4 company, did you continue to slack off so badly? Surely that would have given you even more motivation to work hard and succeed, knowing that that could be the start of a successful career?

I think that after you accepted your internship offer, you became extremely arrogant and had the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to assume that you'd be able to walk into a graduate job at the B4 company after graduation, irrespective of how hard you worked. You then proceeded to put in zero effort, and deservedly, paid the price for it. I have no sympathy for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Camilli
Sounds as if you had your lousy year before the internship, which didn't stop them from making the summer offer. If you have your act together now, it might be OK unless there's some recruiting statistic they need to keep intact.

If your transcript breaks out performance and shows a lot of firsts and high 2:1s in this year, that might convince them you're worth the shot-- especially since they know your work.

Do you know someone on your KPMG team that you can sound out?

This is what I was hoping, and whilst I have the contact information for my two project leads and my performance manager over the internship, particularly the latter who i got on really well with - i don't know how porfessional/ plausible it would be to contact them directly to see if they could help in any way - knowing theyd have to go to recruitment/ their managers and I wouldn't like to put them in that unprofessional/ uncomfortable position
To be honest I'm not sure they'd mind. You can always beg.
Reply 5
Original post by stevey396
To be honest, if you get a 2:2 and are rejected, you only have yourself to blame.

I'm presuming that you did your internship between your second and third years, in which case you'd have received your internship offer part way through your second year. Why then, despite you being offered a prestigious internship with a B4 company, did you continue to slack off so badly? Surely that would have given you even more motivation to work hard and succeed, knowing that that could be the start of a successful career?

I think that after you accepted your internship offer, you became extremely arrogant and had the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to assume that you'd be able to walk into a graduate job at the B4 company after graduation, irrespective of how hard you worked. You then proceeded to put in zero effort, and deservedly, paid the price for it. I have no sympathy for you.

So basically your entire post amounts to "f*ck you!"?

Lovely.

Anyhow, to the OP. Look we all mess up, after you get your grades talk to them. If it's a 2:1, explain what happened. Explain that you aren't the same person and that you've natured since then and ask for a chance to prove yourself.

If they say no, ask if coming back after a masters year with a 2:1, would change their mind.
Reply 6

Haha, the stark truth and yes, I appreciate I have no one to blame but myself and will live with that for the rest of my life, but chill out a bit man, yeah? It's my life not yours.

But just for clarification it's quite the opposite. I was lazy and stupid in my second year, agreed, but at the time didn't really know anything about KPMG, internships or graduate jobs and how competitive and serious these were. And rather arrogance, it was unkowing. Unknowing that i'd even be offered the internship (offer received around April, final exams in May), and unknowing i'd be offered a graduate position. Whilst this is extreme ignorance by myself, I could not agree it is arrogance.

mate big 4 is not prestigious jesus christ, chill out
Original post by Torel
So basically your entire post amounts to "f*ck you!"?

Lovely.

Anyhow, to the OP. Look we all mess up, after you get your grades talk to them. If it's a 2:1, explain what happened. Explain that you aren't the same person and that you've natured since then and ask for a chance to prove yourself.

If they say no, ask if coming back after a masters year with a 2:1, would change their mind.

No, just that the OP was extremely careless to completely neglect their studies after receiving an internship offer. If they can somehow claw their way back up to a 2:1 then good for them, but if they can't then it's their own fault for not putting the work in.
Reply 9
Original post by throwawayB4
This is what I was hoping, and whilst I have the contact information for my two project leads and my performance manager over the internship, particularly the latter who i got on really well with - i don't know how professional/ plausible it would be to contact them directly to see if they could help in any way - knowing they'd have to go to recruitment/ their managers and I wouldn't like to put them in that unprofessional/ uncomfortable position

It is a potential favor to you, but don't forget that they have their own skin in the game. Part of recruiting is finding people who won't (a) soak up a lot of time and energy to locate, (b) leave so soon that (a) gets revisited, or (c) suck. If they know you and that you can do good work and won't make them look bad, everyone wins.

Tread lightly and humbly, but if you lay the situation out for someone who likes you and wants to get his/her job done, you might get a decent response. If they've made an offer and you want to reassure them that everything is on track, an update over a cup of coffee might not be a bad thing.

Obviously, you should also continue to work your butt off. Nothing like proving that you have learned your lesson as well as having some aptitude.
Reply 10
No, just that the OP was extremely careless to completely neglect their studies after receiving an internship offer. If they can somehow claw their way back up to a 2:1 then good for them, but if they can't then it's their own fault for not putting the work in.

I don't think he was asking for sympathy, more advice.

Thus your ire is misdirected. If he was seeking commiseration it would be different but he has accepted he messed up, now rather than pointing out a fact he already knows; we as a student community could rally round him and try give him some advice which might help extricate him from said situation.

That or we can be arsey to him, I prefer the former though.
Anecdotal, but I know someone who did an internship and got an offer for a grad job at another top accounting firm (not big 4 but still a big well known firm), ended up with a 2.2 after a really bad module but was still accepted. It will probably make a difference whether your average is like 58% or in the low 50's though. Also might depend on office/department and how popular it is/how many others they're taking on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you all.
Oh, and stevey396,

Thought i'd share an update.
I have received an offer from Deloitte for Audit with a 2.2 requirement.
This solves the dilemma of not needing a 2.1 and I am almost certainly going to accept this. However, just a thought considering I have nothing to lose, would it be worth contacting KPMG to see if they would lower their requirement to a 2.2? I would rather start at KPMG as I had a great time there and got on well with my future team, and I really do have nothing to lose i guess, but wondering if this is highly unlikely to happen and would be a waste of my time?
Any advice on should I/ how to go about this?

Thanks
Call your contact for an update meeting over coffee. Say that you're easily doing 2:1 this year (and Year 1?) but you had a disaster in Year 2 BEFORE they hired you the first time. See if that is a big problem. It might be that you just got a boilerplate letter that they're happy to change for a candidate they know. If not, your path becomes more firmly laid out.

The real question: what's the deal with the 2:1? Are they screening for intelligence, making sure that candidates don't slack off in their last year, goosing their stats for some stupid trade journal, etc.?
(edited 8 years ago)
This solves the dilemma of not needing a 2.1 and I am almost certainly going to accept this. However, just a thought considering I have nothing to lose, would it be worth contacting KPMG to see if they would lower their requirement to a 2.2? I would rather start at KPMG as I had a great time there and got on well with my future team, and I really do have nothing to lose i guess, but wondering if this is highly unlikely to happen and would be a waste of my time?

Thanks

If you have an offer from KPMG too then yes ask them if they can lower it and do mention the details of your offer from Deloitte. Worst case scenario you lose the offer from KPMG and can go to Deloitte anyhow. They may not lower the grade requirement but if you get at least a 2.1 it's irrelevant.
How about instead of putting all this effort in to persuade KPMG to lower their requirements, you focus on upping your game? Seriously.

And unless you made a big impression and they fell in love with you, it's unlikely they'll bend over backwards for you given that there's about 1000 other students out there that are hungry and capable of doing the job?

In any case, how do you expect them to act when tick a box in an internship application that says you're predicted to achieve a 2:1 - then get a 2:2 and tell them you didn't bother throughout second year and lied to them on your initial application - but now you've seen the error of your ways?

My advice is focus on getting your 2:1 instead of visualizing the worst, and be extremely grateful you hold an offer with Deloitte on the condition of a 2:2.

Thanks

In the offer letter it's ambiguous whether a 2.2 is the minimum. If you phone and ask, they'll tell you the offer letter is a catchall for all streams and a few of them require a 2.1 - these few include audit.

Though if you want sympathy I need to average 67% this year to get a 2.1 and make my offer... Though not for lack of hard work, I picked a degree that I probably ought not to have and am suffering a bit for it as my maths capability isn't quite up to scratch. I then had to take a fair amount of time off studying to care for my fiancé who was extremely ill so I kind of have an extenuating circumstance there... but I'm still worried about not making the grade. So I understand that it's pretty worrying - I have no idea what to do if I get a 2.2 and they reject me...
Original post by wasteman shoes
mate big 4 is not prestigious jesus christ, chill out

lol please explain how the most elite financial/accounting services firms of the world are not prestigious?
Original post by throwawaycon
They are prestigious accountancy firms.

If you want to consider 'corporate prestige,' then banking, law and management consulting are all more 'prestigious' and competitive than accountancy.

However it's all *******s, because in a survey of the general public firefighter came top (understandably), and either way you can't eat prestige. The vast majority of people don't care, and you're better off doing something you'll enjoy (based on whatever metrics you care about).

I know mate, I was suggesting that the guy who said they weren't as an idiot who clearly hasn't got a clue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending