The Student Room Group

honest advice....

I did a year at 6th form doing as levels in french, economics and avce in business. i hated it and went to college to do Alevel law,psychology, sociology. i did bad in all my exams last year, partly due to lack of revision but also cos of home problems. I did so bad in my sociology as resit this morning i dont think i will be able to get into uni to do law. I accepted Northumbria's offer of ABB - i know i'm capable of this but for some reason, last year and this year my exams have been suffering.

I've just turned 19 and a year behind the rest of my year 'cos I left 6th form. My lecturer for 2 subjects says i can't redo as levels again at my college but they will let me do A2s again if necessary. But the way my AS resits are going, re-doing A2 wont be enough to get my grades up to ABB.

What options do I have? I've always wanted to go to uni but, if i do another 2 years of alevels at a different college, i'll be 21 when i leave college, and 25 if I did the same law course as i've accepted now. I was thinking part time alevels on an evening - you do 2 nights a week and the full alevel is completed in a year.

I dont fancy leaving uni at 25, but i dont wanna work full time yet either. going to uni is what i've always wanted.

Sorry for the extremely lost post...i haven't got a meeti with my careers adviser till tuesday and this is doing my head in, thinking i've screwed up my whole future :frown: :frown: :frown:
You could do an Access course, but I'm not sure how old you have to be to do that because they're designed for mature students with no A-levels.
this is what i think:

1)you may not have dun as bad as you think, you NEVER know! stay a bit positive.

2)if u hav dun as bad as you think...retake, keep working at it. so what if ur 25 when u leave uni...big deal! why should a few years make a difference if uni is something u hav always wanted.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Don't panic until you see the ink on the paper, but so what if you're a little late going to uni? My friends at uni say that like 50% of the people that started with them were older than 18. I'm on a gap year now, and I've decided to extend it another year, so I'll probably be 20/21 by the time I go, it's not really worrying me!
Reply 4
Has anyone sat as a Private Candidate?

Also, does anyone know centres in tyne and wear that do OCR psychology?

What happens if that centre does a module that I havent done - ie, family and education in sociology and they do education and poverty or something??

Thanks
Reply 5
kellywood_5
You could do an Access course, but I'm not sure how old you have to be to do that because they're designed for mature students with no A-levels.

my mum did these at the age of 30 and finished uni when she was 34 she said shes never had a better experience :p:
vcarina88x
What happens if that centre does a module that I havent done - ie, family and education in sociology and they do education and poverty or something??

It doesn't matter at all because every exam paper has all the topics on it and you just choose whichever one you want. Of course, that backfired when a girl doing AS sociology answered the mass media questions in unit 1 even though we did family! No idea why she did that, and needless to say, she had to resit!

Latest