The Student Room Group

GCSE ICT Edexcel 2016

Scroll to see replies

Yeah! There is a thread for this exam! I'm dreading this despite getting an A* on the coursework.

Does anyone know the grade boundaries?
Original post by keerthik
Hey guys! I'm revising for this too and I made these flashcards if you guys wanna use them :smile: They're based on the Edexcel Revision Guide. Tell me if you've checked them out and whether you found them useful at all! Also, I really love the site, it allows me to take a break from all the writing notes I do ahaha

https://www.brainscape.com/packs/7409133/invitation?referrer=2082912

Thank you soo much! This has helped me a lot!
Original post by sahra30013
Yeah! There is a thread for this exam! I'm dreading this despite getting an A* on the coursework.

Does anyone know the grade boundaries?

Grade boundaries are incredibly low... I did a paper and it was 49/80 for an A*...
Original post by worksmartnothard
Grade boundaries are incredibly low... I did a paper and it was 49/80 for an A*...

Really? My teacher told me you need a 72! Thank you! I am at ease now:smile:
Original post by keerthik
Hey guys! I'm revising for this too and I made these flashcards if you guys wanna use them :smile: They're based on the Edexcel Revision Guide. Tell me if you've checked them out and whether you found them useful at all! Also, I really love the site, it allows me to take a break from all the writing notes I do ahaha

https://www.brainscape.com/packs/7409133/invitation?referrer=2082912

They are amazing & so helpful! I will defiantly be using these for my revision :smile:
Really? My teacher told me you need a 72! Thank you! I am at ease now:smile:

Same here, my teacher said 72! However I did some research and turns out that 72 is the UMS mark. The boundaries depend on the raw mark - which was about 53 last year I think.

In other words, last year 53/80 was needed for an A* on the paper :smile:

I'm still quite uneasy because the grade boundaries seem so low, but that's what the Edexcel website says so fingers crossed!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by history fanatic
Same here, my teacher said 72! However I did some research and turns out that 72 is the UMS mark. The boundaries depend on the raw mark - which was about 53 last year I think.

In other words, last year 53/80 was needed for an A* on the paper :smile:

I'm still quite uneasy because the grade boundaries seem so low, but that's what the Edexcel website says so fingers crossed!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess our teachers can't read the grade boundaries properly! Hopefully, it will be nice and low this year!:smile:
Thank you, I now know what to aim for in the exam
Reply 47
Hi

My son has is in yr10 doing his ICT CA now, the animal sanctuary one. He has just moved to this school and despite being grade A in Maths he has been put in the lower ability ICT class as the other two are full and they won't move anyone. However the school deny there is any setting as all the classes take the same exam. However I am concerned as the class teacher seems satisfied that my sons coursework is at B/C grade at the moment as that is one of the best in the class and he is not being pushed. He already has an ECDL so he skills are fine, but he has been given no idea of how much work he should be doing to get an A, or what criteria his CA needs to meet. Can anyone provide a link to anything that will give me an idea of what an A grade CA should contain? What criteria it must meet to get that grade and how much content it needs to have? My son knows that the other two classes have at least double the number of survey responses that his class have in their CAs.

Thanks for any help.
Original post by Tabath
Hi

My son has is in yr10 doing his ICT CA now, the animal sanctuary one. He has just moved to this school and despite being grade A in Maths he has been put in the lower ability ICT class as the other two are full and they won't move anyone. However the school deny there is any setting as all the classes take the same exam. However I am concerned as the class teacher seems satisfied that my sons coursework is at B/C grade at the moment as that is one of the best in the class and he is not being pushed. He already has an ECDL so he skills are fine, but he has been given no idea of how much work he should be doing to get an A, or what criteria his CA needs to meet. Can anyone provide a link to anything that will give me an idea of what an A grade CA should contain? What criteria it must meet to get that grade and how much content it needs to have? My son knows that the other two classes have at least double the number of survey responses that his class have in their CAs.

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I've just finished the exact same Animal Shelter CAB several months ago so I think I could be of help.

I cannot stress enough the importance of activity reviews. Trust me. Your son shouldn't worry about the number of survey reposes or any trivial thing like that because examiners aren't really concerned about that. Examiners want the student to be really concise about what they did and WHY they did it. Ensure your son justifies every small thing he does because examiners want that!

The quality of his final products are quite important,
HOWEVER - it's all about how he evaluates his own work. Examiners use a mark scheme and in order to make sure he is at the top band, he needs to write good reviews, taking into account any feedback he receives from those around him.

Ps: if he could include some technical terminology that could also do him good. Tell him to do things slightly differently to the others, so that his work stands out from the rest. (Lengthy detailed reviews/unique ideas that nobody seems to have brought up??)

These could impress the examiner and put him at an advantage. Just remind him that the CAB constitutes 60% of the final grade (even more important than the exam!!) so it should be his best effort.

Hope this helps a little. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by history fanatic
Hi, I've just finished the exact same Animal Shelter CAB several months ago so I think I could be of help.

I cannot stress enough the importance of activity reviews. Trust me. Your son shouldn't worry about the number of survey reposes or any trivial thing like that because examiners aren't really concerned about that. Examiners want the student to be really concise about what they did and WHY they did it. Ensure your son justifies every small thing he does because examiners want that!

The quality of his final products are quite important,
HOWEVER - it's all about how he evaluates his own work. Examiners use a mark scheme and in order to make sure he is at the top band, he needs to write good reviews, taking into account any feedback he receives from those around him.

Ps: if he could include some technical terminology that could also do him good. Tell him to do things slightly differently to the others, so that his work stands out from the rest. (Lengthy detailed reviews/unique ideas that nobody seems to have brought up??)

These could impress the examiner and put him at an advantage. Just remind him that the CAB constitutes 60% of the final grade (even more important than the exam!!) so it should be his best effort.

Hope this helps a little. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much for your reply. That helps a lot. He is still finishing off the web banner section of activity 1 so he still has time to improve the evaluation of activity one then. I have managed to find a bit of a previous CAB which supposedly was A* so can get him to have a look through that to see what standard of work and evaluations he needs to achive
Original post by Tabath
Thanks very much for your reply. That helps a lot. He is still finishing off the web banner section of activity 1 so he still has time to improve the evaluation of activity one then. I have managed to find a bit of a previous CAB which supposedly was A* so can get him to have a look through that to see what standard of work and evaluations he needs to achive

I achieved an A* in mine and I wouldn't mind sending him some of my CA if the one you found doesn't have everything
Thank you soo much! This has helped me a lot!

I'm really glad they helped :biggrin: I'll get unit 6 done sometime soon, seen as the exam is fast approaching!
Reply 52
Original post by ScienceFantatic
I achieved an A* in mine and I wouldn't mind sending him some of my CA if the one you found doesn't have everything

That would be helpful if you don't mind, the bit of the one we have has been very useful in giving him an indication of the sort of language and technical terms he needs to be using in order to improve the evaluations.
Original post by Tabath
That would be helpful if you don't mind, the bit of the one we have has been very useful in giving him an indication of the sort of language and technical terms he needs to be using in order to improve the evaluations.

Do you want to inbox me an email I can contact you from?
Original post by Tabath
Hi

Thanks for any help.

Hi! In addition to all the good advice you've been given, it might be a good idea for your son to talk to a teacher that teaches one of the higher sets. They may be able to provide some additional guidance. I had to do this, but we don't get put in sets; I just had an awful teacher! It really helped me out, and I hope it helps your son too!
So happy to see an ICT Edexcel thread. My class literally just finished the Animal Shelter coursework and I got an A*. But, I'm really worried about the exam. Does anyone have any last minute revision tips & I'm quite relieved on hearing about how low the grade boundaries are :smile:
New user joining! Last week we just finished our coursework and we did the Music Festival CAB. Starting revision today, I am so last minute. Anyway guys, any predictions?!
Good luck with the exam everyone, it is on the 18th may (only 11 days) if anyone has any questions about ICT I will be happy to answer them. :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by ScienceFantatic

Which CAB did you do? I have my Music Festival due in for Monday :cry2:
9 days left till the exam. How's everyone feeling?

Am I the only one who still feels super unprepared for this? I keep putting ICT revision aside :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply